PDA

View Full Version : Getting 1.5 Mbps but still have old modem.

Kumagoro
10-12-2004, 19:54
My bro has/had the 1 Mbit connection and as far as he knows still did...
NTL said they would swap over his modem but they never did.

I did a bandwidth test and i found it ranging from 1450 to 1800 Mbps.

Is a new modem really required or is the modem now running out of spec?
the thing is that recently in the last few weeks its been cutting out and locking up the modem if he restarts the comp and then it works again. I check for viruses etc nothing so i reinstalled it.. Im waiting to see if it crashes again.

Has anyone had a similar exp or know something?

Cheers

paulyoung666
10-12-2004, 19:55
hi and :welcome: to the site , a new sacm is not required for 1.5mb , a new stb is , does that help :)

ian@huth
11-12-2004, 11:57
hi and :welcome: to the site , a new sacm is not required for 1.5mb , a new stb is , does that help :)

Change the "a new STB is" to "a new STB may be". Some STBs can quite happily handle 1.5Mb.

Chris W
11-12-2004, 15:09
Change the "a new STB is" to "a new STB may be". Some STBs can quite happily handle 1.5Mb.

only the Samsung boxes... which are the new ones ;)

sleepless
13-12-2004, 02:56
I did a bandwidth test and i found it ranging from 1450 to 1800 Mbps.
I'll swap you with mine :p:

BBKing
13-12-2004, 09:36
only the Samsung boxes... which are the new ones

The Pace boxes handle 1.5Mb fine as well, the reliability was in question.

Kumagoro
13-12-2004, 13:54
Its NOT a set top box, its the silver one with green lights etc. Its about a year and a half old now i think.

NTL said that he needed a new one how true this was i dont know and they said they will be replacing it... but they havent. They either realised the mistake and just didnt say or they are slacking off.

The problem is with the stablity now, it keeps on locking up and the computer needs to be restarted. Like i said i did a driver reinstall and while i was using it it seemed fine. I havent yet checked again but if its still doing it ill do a clean install of windows.

It just happened to start doing it when it got up graded. I just wanted to know if there are known problems.

Paul K
13-12-2004, 14:02
They were just pointing out that it's the STBs that may require swap outs to accomodate the higher speeds ;) SACMs should handle the upgrade without any issues.
Are you connecting to the SACM via USB or ethernet and is it only locking up when you have a browser running or are you running some form of P2P sotware in the background? Lockups can be caused by a variety of things so we may need a few details to help you with troubleshooting it :)
Things like Operating System, PC specs, applications or services running from start up etc.

Kumagoro
13-12-2004, 19:43
If there are no known problems with the box, i can sort it out myself. If it still messes up after then i know its either network or box trouble.