PDA

View Full Version : I thought I would save some money BUT I was wrong

At a loss
10-12-2004, 14:18
Hello all I thought that I would share this with you all.

I have been a happy customer of NTL for quite some time now with both telephone and broadband.
There have been small problems with one thing and another but they was always corrected without to much problem.

A month (about) I asked for the broadband connection to be down graded due to financial reasons and also to have the broadband plus cancelled has no one in this house uses it and I was using the trial period to see anyone used it.

But on getting my e-mail notification for broadband billing I find that my broadband cost was £53.93? should have been £24.99?

I was on the 1.5 meg internet connection of which I upgraded from the old 600k. But as mentioned I needed to downgrade my speed.

Which I was told would be done after I spoke to some from customer services a month ago and I was not told anything about the pro rota thingy.

After calling customer services today I was told that my broadband bill included broadband plus (which I cancelled a month ago and never went past the trial period) and that I would have to pay this pro rota thingy (this was explained to me what it is).

But a few things are puzzelling me.......

When I first phoned customer services and asked for the speed decrease in my internet connection why was this pro rota thingy not explained or mentioned to me at the time?
Also I noted that the time it took for my broadband connection speed to drop down to the 750k took only about a week, so what happened to the month I paid in front with this pro rota thingy ( I must of paid in the same way) and why could they have not taken the pro rota thingy from the month in front that I paid with the 1.5 meg connection?and why did the broadband plus show up on my account has still active when I clearly asked for it to be cancelled at the same time I asked for the connection degrade?

In the mean time I have asked for my services including phone to be cancelled of which I was told that I would have to provide a contact number so that an engineer can collect the equipement.
Of which I said that I will not have a contact number due I do not use mobile phones and I have no plans at the moment to go with another provider for the phone or internet.
I was then told again that I would have to provide a contact number.
At which point I told the person on the phone that there will be someone on the property to allow the engineer to collect the equipement and after a short period of reminding the person that I do not have another contact number. They said that they would have to go and find out wheather this was ok or not. They came back to me and mentioned that will be ok and that my services would be disconnected after the 30 day notice period and an engineer would call round to collect the equipement.

At no point was there any attempt to try and save my custom.

I do not have any plans to go to another company at the present moment. So could some one in the know get back to me about the commects above to find out whats happened and why the break down in communication?

But at the end of the day I have a backup dialup number so i can continue to use services such has e-bay has I don't play much or has much on line gaming has I used to and has for reconnecting my phone I won't mention the other company in my area but if need be I will go back with them. I do not particularly want to has their system is a sham compared to the last 2 years with NTL.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

Chris W
10-12-2004, 14:55
:welcome:

which area are you in?

At a loss
10-12-2004, 15:17
:welcome:

which area are you in?
Derby DE21

paulyoung666
10-12-2004, 15:45
hi and :welcome: to the site , what day of the month did you cancel and what day are you billed on ?????? :)

At a loss
10-12-2004, 15:52
hi and :welcome: to the site , what day of the month did you cancel and what day are you billed on ?????? :)
Hello and thanks for the welcome's

I placed the cancel in today and I was told that they need 30 days notification.

For the broadband billing
The Direct Debit payment with respect to your ntl:home internet account is now due for £53.94 and will be collected on or immediately after 30/12/2004. Please note that no action is required as payment will be taken automatically.

orangebird
10-12-2004, 15:52
<snip>

But at the end of the day I have a backup dialup number so i can continue to use services such has e-bay has I don't play much or has much on line gaming has I used to and has for reconnecting my phone I won't mention the other company in my area but if need be I will go back with them. I do not particularly want to has their system is a sham compared to the last 2 years with NTL.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

How do you intend to use a dial up connection if you don't have a phone line? :confused:

paulyoung666
10-12-2004, 15:54
How do you intend to use a dial up connection if you don't have a phone line? :confused:

maybe a second bt line :shrug: :D :D

i suspect your problem is due purely and simply to the crossover period :)

orangebird
10-12-2004, 15:57
maybe a second bt line :shrug: :D :D

i suspect your problem is due purely and simply to the crossover period :)

but to quote At a loss

In the mean time I have asked for my services including phone to be cancelled of which I was told that I would have to provide a contact number so that an engineer can collect the equipement.
Of which I said that I will not have a contact number due I do not use mobile phones and I have no plans at the moment to go with another provider for the phone or internet.

Does that not suggest they have no other phone line?

paulyoung666
10-12-2004, 15:58
but to quote At a loss

ahhhhhhhhhh sorry :D :D :D

At a loss
10-12-2004, 15:58
Would help if you could read the post before commenting

Quoted from my post:

There you go I have coloured the text in red.

danielf
10-12-2004, 15:59
I think I may have had something similar (this was Notts). I gave my 30 days notice late August, and cancelled the Direct Debit for BB half way through September. I recently received a bill for the BB charges for September. But, since Broadband is billed in advance, I had already paid this early in September.

I spoke to customer services, and ended up getting the amount 'waived'. The lady had some story about it depending on when you cancelled, but I did not understand what she was on about. If it's been paid in advance, you can't charge it a second time. Likewise, if you downgrade your service, the bill shouldn't rise. I would not be surprised if you are being billed twice as well.

Edit: They also tried to charge me for 1-5 Oct...

orangebird
10-12-2004, 16:01
Would help if you could read the post before commenting

Quoted from my post:

There you go I have coloured the text in red.

Apologies, but I read your whole post twice..... :erm:

So why couldn't/wouldn't you give them another contact number? :confused:

At a loss
10-12-2004, 16:02
but to quote At a loss

I still have another phone-line but this was disconnected to go over to NTL.

At a loss
10-12-2004, 16:04
Apologies, but I read your whole post twice..... :erm:

So why couldn't/wouldn't you give them another contact number? :confused:
1 I do not have a mobile phone
2 I do not have a second contact number only the NTL line is connected

orangebird
10-12-2004, 16:06
1 I do not have a mobile phone
2 I do not have a second contact number only the NTL line is connected

Oh, OK. Sorry. Your post was a little confusing as you said you had no plans to get another phone line... :)

At a loss
10-12-2004, 16:13
I think I may have had something similar (this was Notts). I gave my 30 days notice late August, and cancelled the Direct Debit for BB half way through September. I recently received a bill for the BB charges for September. But, since Broadband is billed in advance, I had already paid this early in September.

I spoke to customer services, and ended up getting the amount 'waived'. The lady had some story about it depending on when you cancelled, but I did not understand what she was on about. If it's been paid in advance, you can't charge it a second time. Likewise, if you downgrade your service, the bill shouldn't rise. I would not be surprised if you are being billed twice as well.

Basically my problem stems from me downgrading my internet connection to the next step down to lower the bill for the next few months but my bill jumped to £53.94 and I still had services that I had cancelled?(broadband plus).
I was told that my bill would go down to the £24.99 the next month but its like first you pay more for less ?

danielf
10-12-2004, 16:19
Basically my problem stems from me downgrading my internet connection to the next step down to lower the bill for the next few months but my bill jumped to £53.94 and I still had services that I had cancelled?(broadband plus).
I was told that my bill would go down to the £24.99 the next month but its like first you pay more for less ?

How exactly is your bill made up? Are they trying to charge you in arrears for a service you have paid in advance? Are they charging you for 2 services when you had only one?

At a loss
10-12-2004, 16:48
How exactly is your bill made up? Are they trying to charge you in arrears for a service you have paid in advance? Are they charging you for 2 services when you had only one?
Basically I started off quite some time ago on the 600k broadband of which if I remember correctly I paid a month in front (Pro rota thingy), then I moved onto the 1 meg broadband of which the speed increase took place with in a couple of hours. This was then increased to the 1.5 meg connection. which I have been using.
But to financial reasons I need to down grade until april 2005 to the 750k connection of which the connection degrade in speed terms took about a week.
At the same time I called for the decrease in the connection speed I cancelled broadband plus has no one in this house was using it after I signed up for the free 1 month trial. (This was cancelled in the second week of the trial period).

So basically I was expecting a bill for the 750k service only since the phone is billed separtly and I got billed for broadband plus and the pro rota thingy (a month and a month in advance for the 750k) when I was already in front in billing terms for the 1.5 meg which the speed decreased to the 750k after a week when I should have been still on the 1.5 meg connection speed for another month has I have paid in advance.

So my services at the moment should only be the 750k broadband and the phone line and nothing else.

orangebird
10-12-2004, 16:52
Basically I started off quite some time ago on the 600k broadband of which if I remember correctly I paid a month in front (Pro rota thingy), then I moved onto the 1 meg broadband of which the speed increase took place with in a couple of hours. This was then increased to the 1.5 meg connection. which I have been using.
But to financial reasons I need to down grade until april 2005 to the 750k connection of which the connection degrade in speed terms took about a week.
At the same time I called for the decrease in the connection speed I cancelled broadband plus has no one in this house was using it after I signed up for the free 1 month trial. (This was cancelled in the second week of the trial period).

So basically I was expecting a bill for the 750k service only since the phone is billed separtly and I got billed for broadband plus and the pro rota thingy (a month and a month in advance for the 750k) when I was already in front in billing terms for the 1.5 meg which the speed decreased to the 750k after a week when I should have been still on the 1.5 meg connection speed for another month has I have paid in advance.

So my services at the moment should only be the 750k broadband and the phone line and nothing else.
I believe there's a 30 notice period for changing tier? If so, then you should pay the pro-rata thingy, but you should've also been receiving the original speed until that 30 day period was over... :confused:

scrotnig
10-12-2004, 16:53
I believe there's a 30 notice period for changing tier? If so, then you should pay the pro-rata thingy, but you should've also been receiving the original speed until that 30 day period was over... :confused:
I think you can change tier immediately, but can only do it once in any 30 day period.

orangebird
10-12-2004, 16:54
I think you can change tier immediately, but can only do it once in any 30 day period.

Ah, ok then. :)

SMHarman
10-12-2004, 16:57
Thats my understanding (as a consumer - not an ee) too.

scrotnig
10-12-2004, 16:58

Ok there's always much confusion about pro rata billing.

Let's say you are billed on 10th August for 1 month in advance at 1.5mb.

If, on the 12 August, you call and downgrade to 750k, your speed will change pretty much straight away, even though you have paid a month in advance at the higher speed.

When your next bill arrives, you will find that it has been adjusted 'pro rata', so that your charges from 12th August-9th September for 1.5mb would be refunded, and replaced by charges for the same period for 750k. You'd then also have a month in advance 10th September-9th December for 750k.

You're clearly on a cable modem if you're getting email notifications. It sounds as though, for starters, you need paper bills, as these will tell you exactly what dates the charges refer to and what they are for. PM me your details and I'll arrange this on Tuesday when I'm next in.

At the same time I'll also have a look at your account and see if what you have been told has been done has actually been done.

At a loss
10-12-2004, 17:01
True but a week after calling for the down grade my speed dropped

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Downstream697 Kbps (87.1 KB/sec)752 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream122 Kbps (15.3 KB/sec)131 Kbps (inc. overheads)

At a loss
10-12-2004, 17:07
Mark B before I PM you any details of my account/numbers you would have to confirm that you are an employee of NTL has you profile does not confirm this.

paulyoung666
10-12-2004, 17:14
Mark B before I PM you any details of my account/numbers you would have to confirm that you are an employee of NTL has you profile does not confirm this.

oh what a sensible post , you cant be to careful ;)

but are you prepared to take his say so or would you rather a mod confirmed it ;)

ian@huth
10-12-2004, 17:14

As you can see I am in Nottinghamshire and my broadband is charged in arrears.

Mark B is a NTL employee .

danielf
10-12-2004, 17:21

That would explain it, but that is not what the lady I spoke to said (and she did not deny it was charged in advance). I don't have the old bills to go through anymore, so I can't check, but I was convinced I paid in advance.

Anyway, she did waive the charge, so I'm not paying it.

At a loss
10-12-2004, 17:24

but are you prepared to take his say so or would you rather a mod confirmed it ;)
I prefer a mod to confirm has I will not give details of account details to any one else.

At a loss
10-12-2004, 17:30

Mark B is a NTL employee .
I have always been told that I am paying a month in advance by the CS team.

(Nice place Huthwaite I was born and grow up there :tu: )

scrotnig
10-12-2004, 18:37
None of our profiles do for various reasons, however if you PM one of the Cable Forum Team (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showgroups.php?) they will happily confirm.

There's no rush as I'm not in work til Tuesday anyway.

scrotnig
10-12-2004, 18:38

Mods will always confirm quite happily, I daresay one will be along in due course anyway.

homealone
10-12-2004, 18:53
Mods will always confirm quite happily, I daresay one will be along in due course anyway.

specially if we keep bumping the thread - i see Nemesis is logged in......

JohnHorb
10-12-2004, 19:50
***bump***

At a loss
10-12-2004, 20:04
I've PMed you, you have been confirmed :Yikes:

Bill C
10-12-2004, 20:55
I've PMed you, you have been confirmed :Yikes:

:LOL: Thats it mark they will come and take you away now :LOL:

At a loss
16-12-2004, 20:36
I thought I would add I think that this matter is now sorted the original bill has come down to £43.22 from £53.94 it still does not make sence to me but still there you go.

Now for the fun bit during all this I recieved a letter from NTL Payment Centre for the telephone bill, which states that a DD has been refused by the bank and I need to pay the balance of £43.36.
Fun bit you say, when the phone bill arrived in the good old paper format her in doors decided that she would pay it at a paypoint.
After finding this out I contacted CS to point this out and I was told that yes thats ok has the direct DD with your bank has been cancelled this way so with you paying at a paypoint there should be no problems and you DD should be back up for the next bill.
So now I have a £30 charge with my bank for refused DD due to funds did not need to be in there has there should have been no DD until the 30/12/04.
Plus a standard charge from NTL of £2 for administration costs.

So I now have to put this in writing to NTL for the mistake to be corrected....
But in the mean time I have to order a statement from my bank to send with the letter.

At the end of the day thats one problem sorted and now I am back to square one with one CHEERS NTL BILLING/PAYMENTS :td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td: .

Looks like I will be leaving after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At a loss
17-12-2004, 17:32
Just before I send my problem/ complaint off in writing who is the managing director for my area?

Neil
17-12-2004, 17:39
Just before I send my problem/ complaint off in writing who is the managing director for my area?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=28

At a loss
17-12-2004, 18:10
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=28
Thankyou

At a loss
20-12-2004, 22:25
Hi all after looking at my bank statements and looking at my broadband bills.
It seems that my bank statements indicate that I was billed for £1.27 when I am sure I should have been billed £37.99 for one of the billing points.

Which then after looking at my broadband bill indicates that the amount of £36.72 is being brought forward. When added to the £1.27 gives £37.99.

So to me this indicates a billing error on NTL's part and not mine.

But after contacting CS they say that an amount of £37.99 was refused by my bank and that this amount was then put back to my bank and failed again and there for has been carried forward onto this latest bill and out of good will that they will reduce my bill by a further £5.

This can not be has the amount carried forward is £36.72 and not £37.99 and my bank and bank statements do not agree with this.........Thanks for the good will though

If it is a billing error why can someone not own up and that will be the end of it. It would have saved me runing round like an head less chicken and posting these posts.

Has for the telephone bill that was paid at a pay point and then NTL tried to direct debit me for it that is being sorted :tu: :tu: :tu:

Happy Hoildays

At a loss
23-12-2004, 20:05
Well I thought that I would just mention that the matter is now resolved 100%.

All thanks to a telephone call this evening the result is has follows

Half price telephone line rental for the next 12 months
Half price 750k broadband for the next 3 months
£20 credit due to bank charges

Even though I only got £20 of the £30 bank charges the saving on the phone and broadband sorts the rest.

Many thanks NTL from a :td: to a :tu: and a :handshake from a happy again customer.

homealone
23-12-2004, 20:49
Well I thought that I would just mention that the matter is now resolved 100%.

All thanks to a telephone call this evening the result is has follows

Half price telephone line rental for the next 12 months
Half price 750k broadband for the next 3 months
£20 credit due to bank charges

Even though I only got £20 of the £30 bank charges the saving on the phone and broadband sorts the rest.

Many thanks NTL from a :td: to a :tu: and a :handshake from a happy again customer.

Good to hear - thanks for letting us know :tu:

At a loss
10-02-2005, 17:04
Well sorry to bring this one up again but it looks like its not sorted ?

Since I was told that I would get half price telephone line connection charges for 12 months and half price silver service broadband for 3 months I still haven't been presented with a correct broadband bill.

The half price telephone and the £20 credit no problem bills always correct.

But the broadband billing its a joke to say the least.

This month I am told that I will be billed for £33.13 ? after contacting CS I was told that this is made up of £24.99 plus £8.14. Which I asked where or what is the £8.14 and I was told that they did not know so that will be removed from my account?.

On asking about the half price broadband I was told that we will have to bill you for £24.99 and then your account will be credited for £12.50, so that next month you will be billed for £24.99 and then the credit will come off.

Ok thats fare enough but last month (Yes billed incorrectly again) I was told that the person in disconnections that arranged for the price cuts would have to log on to the system to apply the credit to the broadband account.

The day I get a CORRECT bill for the broadband I will run naked round the streets of DERBY with the NTL logo on my ARSE!

But seriously come billing pull your dam finger out :mad: .

I have arranged with BT to have the BT line re-activated next month and I am going to try pipex's 1 meg connection to see how their billing is has I have been told that I can cancel pipex if I am not happy.

Neil
10-02-2005, 17:44
I have arranged with BT to have the BT line re-activated next month and I am going to try pipex's 1 meg connection to see how their billing is has I have been told that I can cancel pipex if I am not happy.

You only have a one month contract with Pipex, but I guarantee you won't want/need to leave. ;)

At a loss
10-02-2005, 17:57
Thanks for that Neil could you pm me with details from a users point of view.

Have you used it for gaming and that sort of thing ect ect.

I know about their billing policy and terms, spent a good 20 mins on the telephone talking to them.

humphreys barmy
17-02-2005, 09:21
Every thing you've said really rings true. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but what's the chances of this going on for a few months yet....

I'll put money on you getting even more frustrated. I certainly am about my continuing problems with the billing dept.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Doofy
17-02-2005, 11:01
:mad: Very similar to my problems with NTL billing, i received my phone bill and modem bill, duly paid it at a paypoint. ( Not trusting NTL with a DD ever again) 2 weeks later received a final demand for the paid bill, rang up CS was told they could not find it on there systems so i must pay it again, i have a receipt i can fax it to you i replied no can do i had to pay it again and when it appeared at there end they would credit it back to me. I told them no chance but my other half paid it as they threatened to disconnect my services. Two months later i received my bill but in duplicate. Identical same amount, same number of calls at the same times on the same days, i paid this bill then sod me i got another final reminder rang up CS they told me they had the payment for one bill but not the other, i told them the other bill was just a duplicate of the one i paid but they still insist it was another bill. I pointed out politely that the dates were the same the same numbers etc etc, but no go it is a seperste bill and they want it. All in all i am at my wits end with NTL i had my phone line take out and back to BT gave NTL 30 days notice in writing before hand rang them to confirm this and was told we have no record of this (surprise surprise) and they will keep billing me for a phone line i no longer have. The letters and final reminders keep coming for a bill i dont owe and the threats from them are getting beyond a joke, i really am at my wits end.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

humphreys barmy
17-02-2005, 11:23
Doofy, don't worry. They took the TV set top box, two months ago, and continue to insist on billing for the service that should have been disconnected in November 04 !!!!!!:o

A big :td:

danielf
17-02-2005, 11:31
Doofy, don't worry. They took the TV set top box, two months ago, and continue to insist on billing for the service that should have been disconnected in November 04 !!!!!!:o

A big :td:

I'm still being billed for an account that was disconnected in September 04 :dozey:

At a loss
09-03-2005, 20:18
Right I would like to give credit where credit is due and thankyou NTL Billing for giving me a correct bill lets hope we can keep this up. Thanks for the upgraded speed too :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

The Direct Debit payment with respect to your ntl:home internet account is now due for £12.49 and will be collected on or immediately after 30/03/2005. Please note that no action is required as payment will be taken automatically.

Those of you that live near me put away your digital camera's after midnight

paulyoung666
09-03-2005, 20:23
Those of you that live near me put away your digital camera's after midnight

why :confused:

At a loss
09-03-2005, 20:29
#44 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=397183&postcount=44) LOL

homealone
09-03-2005, 20:38

don't forget the CCTV :LOL:

Paul K
09-03-2005, 22:21
How big a logo are we going for then? ;)