PDA

View Full Version : Very quick NTL cable install question.

Busby
08-12-2004, 21:36
My brother is having NTL come round tmrw to have broadband installed 300k.

He already has NTL tv phone etc but he's just found out that his computer will no longer start.

Will this be a problem? I didn't think NTL touched the actual computer anyway but my be wrong?

thanks

dilli-theclaw
08-12-2004, 21:38
My brother is having NTL come round tmrw to have broadband installed 300k.

He already has NTL tv phone etc but he's just found out that his computer will no longer start.

Will this be a problem? I didn't think NTL touched the actual computer anyway but my be wrong?

thanks
They didn't touch my computer, they just turned the modem on to make sure the lights came on basically.

But I'm sure a much cleverer person will comment :)

Marge
08-12-2004, 21:40
No they won't, they will install the modem and then leave the cables for the connection to the PC (USB and Ethernet) and hopefully the CD as well :erm:

Busby
08-12-2004, 21:41
Thanks guys. I assume this is whether they use the STB for cable or a stand alone cable modem.

Actually I think I remember reading they don't do stand alone cable modems anymore anyway.

Thanks

dilli-theclaw
08-12-2004, 21:42
Thanks guys. I assume this is whether they use the STB for cable or a stand alone cable modem.

Actually I think I remember reading they don't do stand alone cable modems anymore anyway.

Thanks
I guess it depends on your area, but I had a stand alone cable modem put in about three weeks ago.

spiderplant
08-12-2004, 22:26

If he's in Newport it'll definitely be a SACM.

Shouldn't matter if the PC won't boot, though it would be better if it did.

Raistlin
08-12-2004, 22:35

Thanks
Yep, I've got a SACM - in fact I've had two (in different properties obviously).

The engineer definately won't touch the PC, he's only interested in ensuring that the modem is working correctly.