PDA

View Full Version : 1mb connection

=k9=
08-12-2004, 19:43
hi
am new to these forums and have just read about the new net speeds for NTL
could somebody tell me how long i would last with a 1 MB connection with 5GB max per month
i play games during the week around 7 hours and at the weekend about 12 hours
i dont download much of sites
so would any body have any idea how long i would last on 5GB per month
thank you
=k9=

paul11974
08-12-2004, 20:03
hi
could somebody tell me how long i would last with a 1 MB connection with 5GB max per month
thank you
=k9=

i often wondered this and tried to find a good tool to monitor my connection when i discovered THIS TOOL (http://www.trafficstatistic.com/pages/basemodules.html) I have been monitoring my connection for aprox 9 days and i have so far used 1.1gb. Also with the above tool you can set a limit ..i.e 5gb and see if you exceed it . I hope this is of some help for you

eshaq786
08-12-2004, 21:16
1mbit with 5gb! lmao. how pathetic. just as pathetic as the 128k upload on the 2mbit service. lmao again......

paul11974
08-12-2004, 21:26
1mbit with 5gb! lmao. how pathetic. just as pathetic as the 128k upload on the 2mbit service. lmao again......

as a average user i have used 1.1gb in 9 days. So for the month it should be about 4gb which still leaves me 1gb and i listen to quite a bit of streaming radio and surf about 4 hrs a night and about 15 hrs at the weekend so 5gb is not to sad for me ;)

paulyoung666
08-12-2004, 21:31
hi
thank you
=k9=

hi and :welcome: to the site , if you are limiting your downloading then i cant see you having any problems tbh , do you mean you are on ntl 1.5mb or on another providers service ?????? :)

@ eshaq786 , have you ever heard of ' if you have nothing good to say then dont bother saying anything ' ??????? , second time tonight i have seen you post crap for the sake of it , no need my mate , no need ;)

eshaq786
08-12-2004, 21:40
@ eshaq786 , have you ever heard of ' if you have nothing good to say then dont bother saying anything ' ??????? , second time tonight i have seen you post crap for the sake of it , no need my mate , no need ;)
dont u know?:Yikes:
i love posting crap. its what i do for a living.

paulyoung666
08-12-2004, 22:18
dont u know?:Yikes:
i love posting crap. its what i do for a living.

no kidding ;)

i aint going to feed you anymore though ;)

MatTman
16-12-2004, 22:53
hi
thank you
=k9=

you wont last a week.. i garauntee it.

i play ww2online 4 hours a Day 5 days a week and that uses up 500-600 megs per 4-5 hour session with Teamspeak aswell.

your Sh*t out of luck my friend.

MatTman
16-12-2004, 22:54
as a average user i have used 1.1gb in 9 days. So for the month it should be about 4gb which still leaves me 1gb and i listen to quite a bit of streaming radio and surf about 4 hrs a night and about 15 hrs at the weekend so 5gb is not to sad for me ;)
thats not average, and plain **** poor for a 1meg connection.

ian@huth
16-12-2004, 23:22
thats not average, and plain **** poor for a 1meg connection.

What is average? I bet you would be amazed if you knew the answer. :)

SMHarman
16-12-2004, 23:33
hi
thank you
=k9=
This might help a bit, but as a gamer, not much.
Demons mag this month has a bit on restricted services.

What does a 1Gb restriction mean?
Surfing - up to 4 hours a day
Sharing / uploading 20 photos a week
Sharing two digital home videos a month
Downloading 10 MP3 audio tracks a week

So multiply by 5 for NTL. I would imagine gaming is not much more BW intensive than surfing, so if 1GB allows 4hrs surfing, then 5GB should cover 7hrs gaming.
And thats way to much time in front of a computer, remember take a break every 20 mins, your eyes need to last you a lifetime and they are non transplantable.

eshaq786
17-12-2004, 12:15
This might help a bit, but as a gamer, not much.
Demons mag this month has a bit on restricted services.

So multiply by 5 for NTL. I would imagine gaming is not much more BW intensive than surfing, so if 1GB allows 4hrs surfing, then 5GB should cover 7hrs gaming.
And thats way to much time in front of a computer, remember take a break every 20 mins, your eyes need to last you a lifetime and they are non transplantable.
A

re u mad? Gaming is really bandwidth intensive. Especially if u host a game. 5gb is no where near enough. Enough said.

Graham M
17-12-2004, 12:18
Gaming is no way bandwidth intensive if you are playing, the max i've ever seen any online game use is about 20k/s and that was a high requirements game. Even Counter Strike Source doesnt use anywhere near that.

eshaq786
17-12-2004, 12:20
I regularly play halo and it uses a lot of bandwidth when i host. Even if the games didnt use much bandwidth, do u think someone can concentrate on a game while thinking about going over their cap?

SMHarman
17-12-2004, 13:53
I regularly play halo and it uses a lot of bandwidth when i host. Even if the games didnt use much bandwidth, do u think someone can concentrate on a game while thinking about going over their cap?
Well hosting will be more BWI as you are getting the info from each of the players and sending it back to all of them, so it will be players-1 * more intensive than joining a game not hosting. Rereading the OP lt looks like the OP joins not hosts, perhaps they could clarify.

Stuart W
17-12-2004, 18:16
Playing games may only be a 20k stream, but it's CONSTANT.

When you browse the web, you download a page, then your conection is pretty much idlw whislt you read the info on that page.

Take this forum for example, it takes about 1 or 2 seconds to download the page, then you start reading the posts, decide on an answer, make your reply etc.

I play Bf1942 and am responsible for my clans Bf1942 on-line server.
It gets through 600 - 700G per month.
Admitedly, the server is connected to all players, a player only connects to one server and the server is running the game 24/7/365, so these numbers are excesive for home use.
Download Failed (1)
I know I will be WAY over this limit most months.
I am using a monitor from AnalogX.
Last month I was hardly on the PC, this month I have been back to my usual self on the net.....
Download Failed (1)http://www.stusplace.co.uk/CFscreeny.jpg
Download Failed (1)

BBKing
17-12-2004, 20:54
Playing games may only be a 20k stream, but it's CONSTANT.

It's constant while you're playing the game - the problem that ntl and other ISPs have is P2P, which is divorced from the necessity of having a human operator, in that you can set it off and then go to bed, or indeed on holiday.

I'd be VERY surprised if any game required the sort of bandwidth use you can get out of a simple P2P app.

SMHarman
17-12-2004, 21:14
20k / s = 1200k / min = 72000k hr
5Gb = 5000 Mb = 5000000k
5000000/72000 = 69 hours of constant game playing or have I got my 0's wrong?

elvistheprince
17-12-2004, 21:26
My Cable router has been up for 97 hours or 4 days approx. (I only got NTL last week) I'm on 750k.

It's stats tell me I've sent approx. 140Mb and recieved approx. 4.4Gb, I've only really browsed and recieved emails thus far, 5Gb really isn't going to go far!

paulyoung666
17-12-2004, 21:31
My Cable router has been up for 97 hours or 4 days approx. (I only got NTL last week) I'm on 750k.

It's stats tell me I've sent approx. 140Mb and recieved approx. 4.4Gb, I've only really browsed and recieved emails thus far, 5Gb really isn't going to go far!

hi and :welcome: to the site , must have been quite a few max size attachments if that is all you have doing :erm: :erm: :D :D :D :D , hope you enjoy your stay here :)

elvistheprince
18-12-2004, 03:55
Just to follow up a bit I looked up my usage stats for my last couple of months of ADSL,:
Nov - Dec 13Gb
Oct - Nov 16Gb,

Again that is only browsing, email, small (approx. 1.5 Gb) amount of P2P and quite a bit on-line gaming (Novalogics Joint Operations mostly).

Hope you find these figures useful.

I also looked again at my routers stats and those figures are for Packets not bytes so I'm afraid I've not idea what the relation between the two are, I'm currently trying to get MRTG to work with my router (FWG114P) so I'll be able to post more accurate stats when I get that working.

Cheers

Stephen

Stuart W
19-12-2004, 00:02
20k / s = 1200k / min = 72000k hr
5Gb = 5000 Mb = 5000000k
5000000/72000 = 69 hours of constant game playing or have I got my 0's wrong?
I play Bf1942, each round is 30mins, there are 3 rounds to one map.
This limit means I can only play 2 maps a day.

Well, I can't quiteplay 2 everyday... nor can I browse the web, use e-mail or anything.

Oh, and this is all supposing I stay at 20k the whole time, so no more TeamSpeak server to chatwith my friends whilst I play.

SMHarman
19-12-2004, 00:14
I play Bf1942, each round is 30mins, there are 3 rounds to one map.
This limit means I can only play 2 maps a day.

Well, I can't quiteplay 2 everyday... nor can I browse the web, use e-mail or anything.

Oh, and this is all supposing I stay at 20k the whole time, so no more TeamSpeak server to chatwith my friends whilst I play.
Stuart, which service are you currently on? 300k 750k or 1.5mb.
If you are doing that much online gaming then I imagine you are on 750k plus. The 750k will become a 2Mb down / 128k up 30Gb cap service so limit you to 414hrs of silent gaming (ooh thats 60 days and nights with no breaks and no sleep in a month of 30 days) or less if you are using team speak.

The question this thread raised was with the faster "slow" service of 1Mb/64k 5Gb cap, would it be effective to move to this tier.

It seems for you serious gamers the answer is no, but even so for no more money (well the £20 swichoverfee) you will get a faster upload and the cap will remain where the guidance limit currently is.

Stuart W
19-12-2004, 12:39
Ahhhhh. My bad. Not paying attention :dunce:

I'm on 1.5M because I am working on a MOD for BF1942 and need to upload the 500M installer once a week for my testers to install. I had to go for 1.5M because it's the only one with 256k upload.

Idealy (for me) I'd like 1.5M down, with 512k up.
I don't need anything faster for download than 1.5M because I don't realy need a download desperatly fast.
My downloads consist of CD images for Linux or other mods for BF1942, all of which are around the 500M mark, so I leave them queued to download over night.

SLM
19-12-2004, 13:25
I am not into gaming, p2p or big downloading so I suspect I will not go anywhere near the cap, neither am I very techie when it comes to pc's.

But all I could say about people complaing about caps is wait until the new year when ntl release the new speeds then upgrade to a cap that you will use.