PDA

View Full Version : FAO Tez....the connection guru! (routers)

Reddevil63
24-08-2003, 17:12
Tez

Am deciding to get a router that you recommended in another thread I started...the Linksys BEFSR41...with built-in firewall.

Well, just want to know how easy they are to set up and would I still need to clone the PC NIC Mac address into the xbox as I do now as using a hub which means can't use both PC and xbox at the same time.

Caspar
24-08-2003, 17:31
Is this a private party or can anyone join in :spin:

1. Routers are the invention of the century!...everyone needs one, whether they know it or not! ;)

2. They are really easy, plug and go m8...honestly :D

3. You wont need to clone your PC's network card's MAC address into the XBOX but you will need to clone your network card's MAC address into the new router...but again this is easy :)

The reason why this cloning is needed... When you first install your BB connection NTL ask you to register through your PC, remember?... This is basically the need to assign one or more MAC addresses to your NTL BB account.

If you bought a new PC now, you'd have to register that aswell.

The reason why you'd need to clone your PC's network card's MAC address is simply because the XBOX and the router do not have the interface, i.e. in this case an Internet browser, to reveal that NTL does not recognised the XBOX's network card's MAC and its request for the XBOX/router to identify itself.

This is not possible, cause there is no mechanism for the XBOX/router to do this so you simply change the XBOX's and router's MAC address to one that NTL have already logged.

...and there you go ;)

4. With the new router you will be able to surf the net and use XBOX Live at the same time :D

Carlito
24-08-2003, 21:06
I bought the exact same router and it works a treat mate, plug it in and away you go. The only problem I had was that I thought I was using a crossover rather than a straight through cable...or was it the other way about!:spin:

Reddevil63
24-08-2003, 21:12
Thanks Cas for the info....you can be connection guru MkII.;)

Would I need different cables or still use the ones I got now connecting the NIC/Hub?CM?

Jarandco
24-08-2003, 21:19
how mcuh is that router red?
and cas got any links for some good but cheap routers?? i mite just do ICS for starters but wouldnt mind a router!

Reddevil63
24-08-2003, 21:22
Bidding on a new one on Ebay at the mo but Tez said that you can get them on Amazon for 50 squid and think even cheaper on ebuyer.com

Heres the link for ebuyer - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37451

The amazon one is here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005KAC7/ref=br_lf_ce_0/202-8898525-8029452

Jarandco
24-08-2003, 21:47
Thanks red - may have to invest in on of those..

Caspar
24-08-2003, 22:01
I always buy from INMAC, found here (http://www.inmac.co.uk/product.asp?sku=E233525) :D

Jarandco
24-08-2003, 22:06
Its more expensive there! Amazon is cheaper and ive used them before!

Caspar
24-08-2003, 22:10
Originally posted by Jarandco
Its more expensive there! Amazon is cheaper and ive used them before!

You know what to do then ;)

Reddevil63
24-08-2003, 22:11
Damn....didn't win the auction and the final price was near the price that you can get on Ebuyer so may get it from them.

Cas, will I need a cross-over cable???

Caspar
24-08-2003, 22:17
Originally posted by Reddevil63
Cas, will I need a cross-over cable???

Yep, cross-over from the XBOX to the router :)

Jarandco
24-08-2003, 22:20
Originally posted by Caspar

Ive got the little cross over adapters - so i can use them if i get a router! :D

Jarandco
24-08-2003, 22:21
You know what to do then ;) eh? well ive used amazon before i turst em and its free delivery plus its cheaper.... so i dont see whats wrong? (Explain?)

Tezcatlipoca
24-08-2003, 22:24

Erm, I think you need a straight-through (patch) cable actually.

Only need a crossover cable to connect directly from PC>PC or XBox>PC etc. If you're connecting a PC or XBox to a router, you use a patch cable.

zoombini
24-08-2003, 22:26
Cross over from xbox to router?
Well how come I'm using straight through cables all around to/from my Linksys BESFR41 ?

As for the cloning of the PC, the disk that you get with one does all that for you, follow its instructions and it sorts it all out in a jiffy easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Jarandco
24-08-2003, 22:27
well again thats ok i have both - well an adaptors useful because you can always change it!:)

Caspar
24-08-2003, 22:31
Caspar feels like a lemon!

...but is ok..cause he's connected by wireless!!! :D

Tezcatlipoca
24-08-2003, 22:31
Is this a private party or can anyone join in :spin:

3. You wont need to clone your PC's network card's MAC address into the XBOX but you will need to clone your network card's MAC address into the new router...but again this is easy :)

The reason why this cloning is needed... When you first install your BB connection NTL ask you to register through your PC, remember?... This is basically the need to assign one or more MAC addresses to your NTL BB account.

If you bought a new PC now, you'd have to register that aswell.

The reason why you'd need to clone your PC's network card's MAC address is simply because the XBOX and the router do not have the interface, i.e. in this case an Internet browser, to reveal that NTL does not recognised the XBOX's network card's MAC and its request for the XBOX/router to identify itself.

This is not possible, cause there is no mechanism for the XBOX/router to do this so you simply change the XBOX's and router's MAC address to one that NTL have already logged.

If you use a STB to connect, then you need to clone your PC's MAC onto the router's WAN port, for the reasons Cas outlined above. (with STB BB, the MAC of the device connected must be registered with NTL via a webpage - as the XBox & router don't have a browser, so can't register their MAC if connected to the STB, you need to clone the PC's MAC onto the router [or clone it onto the XBox if that is what is connected directly to the STB if you don't use a router]).

If you use a standalone cable modem (SACM), then you don't need to clone the PC's MAC onto the router, as the MAC of the device connected to the SACM doesn't need to be registered with NTL. You just need to power cycle the modem before connecting the router to it. EDIT: It can still be handy to clone the PC's MAC onto the router though, & it is very easy to do.

Jarandco
24-08-2003, 22:34

On your laptop again! :rolleyes: :)

Tezcatlipoca
24-08-2003, 22:35
Tez

Am deciding to get a router that you recommended in another thread I started...the Linksys BEFSR41...with built-in firewall.

Well, just want to know how easy they are to set up and would I still need to clone the PC NIC Mac address into the xbox as I do now as using a hub which means can't use both PC and xbox at the same time.

The BEFSR41 is very easy to set-up. They now come with a set-up CD that has a "wizard" to guide you through everything & do it all for you.

Even without using the CD, it is still extremely easy to do.

If you have any problems (which you shouldn't do), I'll happily help you with it. I use a BEFSR41 myself.

Reddevil63
24-08-2003, 22:35
Ta Tez..

I have SACM so no need for cloning....right?

Don't need cross-over cable so can use the cables I have already which are used with my hub....right?

Basically the cable config I got now will be the same for the router?

Sorry for sounding like a newbie but not to clued up with this router setup:( :D

Just ordered one from Ebuyer for £45.71 with the 3 business day delivery option so should get it this coming Friday!

Tezcatlipoca
24-08-2003, 22:41
Ta Tez..

I have SACM so no need for cloning....right?

Don't need cross-over cable so can use the cables I have already which are used with the hub....right?

Sorry for sounding like a newbie but not to clued up with this router setup:( :D

Yeah, as you have a SACM you don't need to clone the PC's NIC's MAC onto the router. You just need to power cycle the modem (or turn it off for 5mins to be sure) before you plug the router into it, so it forgets the PC's NIC's MAC.

You can still clone the MAC though, to make it easier. The set-up CD will do all that for you if you need to.

Make sure that you remove the PC's MAC from the XBox, though, otherwise the router will have two devices connected to it with the same MAC address (PC & XBox).

Yep, you should be able to use the cables you use with the hub, as they'd be patch cables rather than crossover.

EDIT: Nice deal! :)

Reddevil63
24-08-2003, 22:42
Thank you Guru!!! :)

Reddevil63
24-08-2003, 23:00
Another question...

I see that there is diff versions of this router...up to version 3 and there is some new firmwares to download for each of the versions.

Would I need these upgrades?......wonder what version I will get!

Tezcatlipoca
24-08-2003, 23:21
I've got version 2. I don't know what version 3 is like, but I guess that's the one on sale now.

Yep, you'll need to get the latest firmware.

ic14
24-08-2003, 23:22

A member of the wireless revolution then cas! Nice isnt it;)

Reddevil63
25-08-2003, 03:33
Originally posted by ic14

OK OK you don't have to rub it in. :p :D

Caspar
25-08-2003, 09:20
Originally posted by ic14

Yeah, these old fashioned wires things confuse me!!! Anyway, I'm going to play my XBOX in the garden now ;)

Jarandco
25-08-2003, 09:48
Yeah, these old fashioned wires things confuse me!!! Anyway, I'm going to play my XBOX in the garden now ;)

eh?!:eek:

Do ypou have a wireless power supply now aswell?

Reddevil63
30-08-2003, 13:47
Originally posted by Tezcatlipoca
I've got version 2. I don't know what version 3 is like, but I guess that's the one on sale now.

Yep, you'll need to get the latest firmware.

Got my router yesterday and will be setting it up very soon.

I got the version 2 and have downloaded the latest firmware and will install that also.