PDA

View Full Version : No Wireless Networks were found in range

lisauk
06-12-2004, 23:02
I have been unable to connect my PC and My laptop on a wireless network this evening using my wireless dongle and my wireless connection on my laptop.

I have the service pack 2 installed on both and all has been working on a off for about a month but now the PC does not seem to be able to find any available networks. The laptop finds an availalble network fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Raistlin
06-12-2004, 23:12
Have you got a router in between them or are they connected to eachother?

Have you got a firewall running?

lisauk
06-12-2004, 23:18
They are connected to gether no router yet getting one for Christmas and talking about that on another thread.

I have a Zone Alarm Running on both machine but this has always been the case.

I am not really sure how to set my network up so it could be too do with that.

On the laptop I ahve a network in perfered networks and it says networkname(Manual) the icon look like a little board with a hoop on.

On the PC there are no preferred networks as I have just deleted it.

One thing I have noticed when I double click on the network computer in the system tray near the clock it take a while to display the network properties, this was fast yesterday when the network was working.

Cheers Lisa

lisauk
06-12-2004, 23:20
I have just added the pc to the networkname and in preferred networks it says networkname(Automatic) the icon is like an arial with a red cross on it.

There are no networks available when i go to view wireless networks.

Lisa

Raistlin
06-12-2004, 23:33
Hmm, not sure about this one as I've only just started with wireless myself.

Have you got the Network name set to the same thing on both machines?

Have you got any of the security features enabled (WEP etc?) and if so have you made sure that you have given the same settings and key to both machines?

In the properties section have you got the box ticked that says it is an Ad-Hoc network?

please understand that I'm just guessing on some of these things as I'm not complete;y up on the technology yet but it might be woth checking these things.

Another thing you could look at is your zonealarm logs (assuming they're switched on). Is there anything in there (look at the firewall tab). I know you say that ZA has been installed on both for a while but IIRC they have recently updated ZA so that may have affected things a bit.

Try lowering the Internet Zone and Trusted Zone security sliders (on the firewall tab) and see if that has any effect.

Raistlin
06-12-2004, 23:34
Oh, and have you clicked on the option in the "available networks" screen that says "refresh network list"?

SMHarman
06-12-2004, 23:37
Disable Zone Alarm on both PCs
Check Windoze firewall is not enabled on either PC, SP2 could have turned this on.
Are there any environmental changes that could have occurred, new cordless phone, new TV digisender, moved microwave?

lisauk
07-12-2004, 00:02
Just a quick reply as it is time for bed for me.

The wireless dongle on the pc is a IEEE802.11b wireless USB Adapter

The wireless connection on the laptop is a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection.

Windows Firewall is not on.

I don't really wanna turn zonealarm off last time i did that I got plagued with a virus and I have not changed any of the settings.

No new microwaves or phones etc.

Have refreshed wireless network connections many times but still nothing.

Setting on both machines are:

Association:-
Network Authentication: Open
Data encruption: WEP
Network Key: I set this manually the same on both
Key Index: 1

Authentication:-

ON PC

Enabled IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network
EAP type: Smart Card or other Certificate
Authenticate as computer when computer information is available
Authenticate as guest when user or computer information is unavailable

ON LATPOP
No option are allowed

Connection:-
Connect when netowrk is in range

Advanced:

ON LATOP:
Any available netowrk (access point preferred) is choosen
If i choose Access Point (infracstruture) networks only on laptop the preferred network disappears.

ON PC:
Any available netowrk (access point preferred) is choosen
If i choose Computer-to-computer (ad hoc) networks only on PC the preferred network disappears.

I had it working on any available netowrk (access point preferred)

Before when it worked.

Hope I covered everthing here.

Cheers Lisa

Raistlin
07-12-2004, 00:34
Hmm, don't disable the firewall completely just slide the sliders down a couple of notches and see if that helps.

If not you could disconnect your internet connection (just take the lead out of the pc) and then disable the firewall, no danger of anything nasty coming through then as you aren't actually connected to anything.

Have you installed any new software or changed any settings on anything recently? Any new hardware added?

Have you moved either machine recently? If so (and I don't mean this to sound patronising) have you made sure that all of the cables / plugs etc are secure and in the right place?

You could also try reinstalling the drivers for your "dongle" ( I love that word ) and see if that helps.

Other than that I have to confess that I am a little stumped but I'll take a look around tomorrow and see if I can find anything that might help you.

Goodnight.

darant
07-12-2004, 01:35
I have been unable to connect my PC and My laptop on a wireless network this evening using my wireless dongle and my wireless connection on my laptop.

I have the service pack 2 installed on both and all has been working on a off for about a month but now the PC does not seem to be able to find any available networks. The laptop finds an availalble network fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi,

I have just (last 2 weeks) brought myself to the wonderful world of wireless and have had lots of hastle to get things †œin the airââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ so to speak....

1. You mention any available networks?

What do you mean by this?

2. Have you set up your systems using a Domain or Work Group?

Wireless setups, I believe, act differently depending on this?

3. Are you using the hardware manufactures or Windows inbuilt software to create your newtork?

4. Are you using fully compatible hardware for your network?

See below

5. You have not mentioned the make/s or model numbers of the hardware?

Please specify?

6. You mentioned †œI don't really wanna turn zonealarm off last time i did that I got plagued with a virus and I have not changed any of the settingsââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚

If your setup is PURELY for a PC to PC based network? If so, disabling Zone Alarm will not effect your systems as long as your NOT connected to the net

7. Again, not being funny or patronizing, have you FULLY checked the setup?

8. For what purpose are you setting the Network up?

PC to PC connection or file sharing (Ad-Hoc), Printer Sharing, Instant Network messaging, Internet Sharing, other, etc etc?

I apologies if my questions sound like Iâ₠™m patronizing or probing, but you did say †œI am not really sure how to set my network up so it could be too do with thatâ₠¬Ã‚ in post #3. Iâ₠™m NO EXPERT but have info fresh in my head as Iâ₠™ve literally just set up my own Wireless setupÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦

I see that Raistlin has a Wireless router as do I. To be honest, I would not even attempt a Wireless setup or network without a decent router/hardware firewallââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚¦Ã¢Ã ¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚¦.

I hope we can sort this for youââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢ ¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦.. I looked on the forums and found hardly any threads covering Wireless so hopefully we can all help in getting this issue sorted.

Regards

Daran

lisauk
07-12-2004, 08:55
In answer to your questions:

1. You mention any available networks?

I have services pack 2 installed and this gives you a different way of connecting to your wireless networks, if you click refresh it shows you the available networks but I do not have any available on the PC.

2. Have you set up your systems using a Domain or Work Group?

I have set my network up usinga Work Group, using the wireless network wizard in Services pack 2.

3. Are you using the hardware manufactures or Windows inbuilt software to create your newtork?

I am using the windows inbuilt software, as mentioned above the service pack 2.
4. Are you using fully compatible hardware for your network?

I am not sure if the wireless dongle is fully compatiable with my inbuilt wireless connection on my laptop but it has been working for at least the past month.

5. You have not mentioned the make/s or model numbers of the hardware?

The only information I know is

The wireless dongle on the pc is a IEEE802.11b wireless USB Adapter - make not sure, as i am at work.

The wireless connection on the laptop is a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, laptop is a HP Compaq.

6. You mentioned †œI don't really wanna turn zonealarm off last time i did that I got plagued with a virus and I have not changed any of the settingsââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚

The PC is actually connected to the internet which is why I want the network set up I guess that answers questions 8 aswell.

7. Again, not being funny or patronizing, have you FULLY checked the setup?

i would not really know what to check for apart from everything seems to be setup the same on both machines.

Nothing seems to be different from when it was working on Sunday evening but I have now deleted the wireless network and tried setting it up again but still nothing.

8. For what purpose are you setting the Network up?

Answered in no: 7

Extra Info:

As mentioned above I am getting a wireless router for christmas, please my my other thread, search for lisauk. I will order the router this evening, I just need to get the network working until then as my partner using the PC and I use the Laptop.

Cheers Lisa

Aragorn
07-12-2004, 15:29
Lisa,

Have you had a look at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0804.mspx - a Microsoft guide to WLan config on SP2.

IIRC, on the desktop you will need to add a 'prefered' connection and as well as specifying the SSID (Network name) and WEP key you need to select 'This is a computer-to-computer (ad-hoc) network' at the bottom of the page. This will tell windows to broadcast the SSID as well as listening for one.

It should be much easier when you get your router!

HTH

lisauk
07-12-2004, 21:26
This network has always been working in the last month and never on a Computer-to-computer (adhoc) network.

Networking really confusses me, i am now going to order the router.

Strange...

SMHarman
08-12-2004, 09:41
This network has always been working in the last month and never on a Computer-to-computer (adhoc) network.

Networking really confusses me, i am now going to order the router.

Strange...
Networking without a router can be a bit hit and miss. When a router is in place it just seems to want to work (famous last words - see you here over christmas with the my network won't work with my new router thread).

Does one of your PCs have an ethernet socket, vhandy if you are setting up a wireless network do set it up wired (it makes setting up the wireless security easier).

lisauk
08-12-2004, 21:25
I have order the wireless router and should be here by the end of the week. My partner may even let me install it straight away as at the moment I am only using the PC when my partner is not which is a hassle when we both wanna use it.

Yes i do have an ethenet connect on my desktop pc as that is how my cable modem is connect at present.

Fingers crossed that it will all work once installed.

Lisa

lisauk
09-12-2004, 12:56
Yippy,

Guess what everyone, I managed to some how get my wireless network up and running again last night not really sure how. Probably will not work again tonight when I try to connect. Oh well router will arrrive soon.

Thanks for all your help.

Lisa

Raistlin
09-12-2004, 13:18
:dmonk::juggle::nworthy::hugs::handshake:hyper: FANTASTIC!!

I'll hold my breath until this evening but I hope uit carrys on working for you.

lisauk
09-12-2004, 20:11
I did have a few problems this evening connecting to my network. Both machine find the network and connect but then I can not access the web on the laptop. I have got it working again now but only by trial and error.

Can someone explain the network key and the tick box the key is supplied for me, I think this is what is causing my problem.

When I turn off my laptop and desktop in the evening and then try to reconnect the next day the computers connect to the net work but the laptop has and IP that starts 169 and so will not connect to the internet. When I finally get it working again the ip starts 192.

Any ideas?

Will this be easier when the wireless router is in place or will i still get the same problem?

Lisa

Raistlin
09-12-2004, 21:21
The wireless router will make things a lot easier.

It sounds like your machines are competing with eachother for an IP address. I think that the 169. IP is the one that NTL are assigning to you and the 192. address is one that is being assigned by the network. When your Laptop has a 169 address you will probably find that it has sort of stolen the allocated address from the desktop (I'm assuming that the desktop is the one with the actual connection to the cable modem?). When your laptop has a 192. address it is using an internal network address to connect to the internet through the desktop.

When your router is in place you should find that they are assigned addresses by the router so you won't (shouldn't) have this problem.

The WEP key needs to be the same on both machines and you should specify it. There is no mechanism in place for the key to be supplied to the computer.

The network key is used to encrypt the information travelling between your machines and it allows the two machines to connect to eachother across the network, both machines need to be using the same key or it won't work.

I think that's the way all of this works, I'm fairly new to wireless myself. If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me.

JohnHorb
09-12-2004, 21:27
A bit confusing this. The 169 address is what Windows allocates if you are using DHCP ('automatically allocate an IP address'), but no DHCP server can be found. The 192 address is what is normally allocated by a router. I've never used ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), but maybe that acts as a DHCP server, allocating an address to the 'client' - in this case the laptop. If that is the case, it could just be a question of making sure the Desktop (if that is what has the Internet connection) is powered up and stabilised BEFORE powering up the lap-top.

Hope this helps!

JohnHorb
09-12-2004, 21:30
...and I think I have seen a setting for WEP re 'the key is supplied...', but I've never used it, so don't know what it does.

lisauk
09-12-2004, 22:14
Yes my desktop is the one with the internet connection and the ip on the internet connection starts 81.

When the network is working correctly i think the desktop has the ip 192 for the wireless connection and as does the laptop but i am not sure what the desktop has when the connection is not working: i will have to check probably tomorrow when it does not work again.
'the key is suppled....' can only be found with SP2 installed when you go to Wireless Network Connection Properties and click the Wireless Network Tap there is a tick box under key index (advanced).

Does any one know where I could find a key that tells me what the different icons that appear in the Preferred networks panel mean, They keep changing I have seen about 4 different icons so far this is depending on if the wireless network is working, in range or up to its old tricks of messing me around.

Cheers Lisa

Aragorn
09-12-2004, 22:45
Does any one know where I could find a key that tells me what the different icons that appear in the Preferred networks panel mean, They keep changing I have seen about 4 different icons so far this is depending on if the wireless network is working, in range or up to its old tricks of messing me around.

Cheers Lisa Lisa,

Most of the icons should be shown and described on the page I mentioned in post 12 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0804.mspx - any you can't find there, either post a screen shot or try to describe.

In the morning (or evening) I would suggest turning on the Cable Modem (or STB) first, then when that is settled turn on the desktop. When this has an internet connection working turn on the Laptop. This will make sure the desktop has a working connection to share before the laptop tries to share it.

HTH

SMHarman
09-12-2004, 22:55
The key, if you have a RADIUS key server (and you don't) that can serve keys for a corporate scale wireless LAN.

On your network you need to PSK - Pre shared Key.

Make sure the desktop has been on a minute or so before booting the laptop. the 169 IP is the IP address MS allocates as an internal IP.

lisauk
10-12-2004, 18:40
The desktop computer is alway on long before the laptop and has an internet connection.

The wireless network ip on the desktop always starts 192.

On the laptop the ip always starts 169 if the nework is not working and does not have a default gateway but when the network is working it has an ip of 192 as does the default gateway on the laptop.

I can not get it to connect correctly today been trying since 5.10 and now it is 18.40

Cheers Lisa

lisauk
10-12-2004, 18:45
Just got connected, probably have the same problem tomorrow.

Aragorn
10-12-2004, 21:34
Lisa,

Can you post a screen shot of the connections when working and when not working. Might give us some clues.

lisauk
11-12-2004, 20:14
What should I take a screen shot of?

Wireless Network Connections, panel.

Wireless Network Connection Properties?

Cheers Lisa

Raistlin
11-12-2004, 21:12
I suppose the more shots you can give us the better but I would wait and see what the others need before you post anything.

As a slight aside, these wireless networking problems are catching.
My (previously faultless) wireless network has now started giving me real problems and I can't seem to get them sorted. :(

lisauk
11-12-2004, 21:37
Do you think the Win XP (SP2) and zone alarm could be causing prolems with the wireless connections.

Have there been any updates recently?

I have noticed that my zone alarm has stop starting up at start up any ideas?

Lisa

Raistlin
11-12-2004, 22:09
ZA shouldn't have just stopped starting up at startup.

Go to START > RUN and type msconfig

On the first tab make sure that you have Normal Startup selected.

If you do, go to the startup tab and make sure that any boxes that sound like they are to do with Zonealarm (you'll know which ones I mean if you see them) have got a tick in them.

Now restart.

If ZA deosn't start automatically go to START > ALL PROGRAMS > ZONELABS > Click on ZONE LABS SECURITY, this will start ZA for you.

Once ZA is running, double click on the icon in the system tray.

Go to the Overview section and then to the Preferences tab.
Make sure that there is a tick in the box marked "Load ZoneAlarm at startup" an in the box marked "protect the ZoneAlarm client".

Now close the ZA box and restart your machine.

If all of those things were ok then ZA should be loading at startup, you may have a more serious problem (a virus maybe). But we'll cross that bridge when / if we come to it.

Raist.

lisauk
11-12-2004, 23:40
The box Load ZoneAlarm with Antivirus at startup was not ticked but it is now..

Raistlin
11-12-2004, 23:58
Ok, you should find that has sorted things out now, yes?

lisauk
12-12-2004, 00:34
Will let you know tomorrow, have not restarted as i will probably loose my network connection.

Cheers Lisa

Raistlin
12-12-2004, 00:36
Will let you know tomorrow, have not restarted as i will probably loose my network connection.

Cheers Lisa
:LOL:

And people call me cynical!! :D

Ok, let us know how you get on tomorrow. Hope all is well.

lisauk
12-12-2004, 14:36
Once again i am here.

Laptop started up great today and so did zone alarm, thanks Raistlin great help thats one thing sorted.

Now the wireless nework issue once again.

Can't connect today again.

Does it matter which computer I connect to the network first?

Desktop PC says Automatic in the top right corner by the star in Wireless Network Connections and Laptop says Not Connedcted.

If i press disconnect on the laptop it then says On demand.

Sorry it is a little hard to do a screen grab and post it of the laptop when I cant get it connected.

Any ideas on the On Demand and automatic thing?

Raistlin
12-12-2004, 14:43
Ok, you need to start things in this order:

Cable MOdem
<Wait for the lights to settle>
Desktop PC
<Make sure that it is logged in and can connect to the internet>
Laptop
<Boot it up, leave a few seconds and then log in, now try to connect it>

The "On Demand" thing is literally that, your computer will connect to the network when you ask it to. "Automatic" means that it should connect whenever it sees that there is a network in range.

Your current problems are probably being caused by the fact that the PC hasn't had time to get an IP address from the CM or to initialise its side of the wireless network before you start the laptop up.

Try the above and let me know how you get on.

Raist.

JohnHorb
12-12-2004, 15:00
It COULD just be a hardware problem. I had something like this with a Belkin card which was on the way out. Took ages to connect. Eventually, would not connect at all.

Raistlin
12-12-2004, 15:20
You may be right, if we can eliminate the other possibilities first though.....

A lot of the problems here just sound like annoyances caused by trying to hook up wireless networks between two PCs without the use of a router. Windows is supposed to make all of this easier but, as usual, MS have shafted us completely!

JohnHorb
12-12-2004, 15:59
Ok, you need to start things in this order:

Cable MOdem
<Wait for the lights to settle>
Desktop PC
<Make sure that it is logged in and can connect to the internet>
Laptop
<Boot it up, leave a few seconds and then log in, now try to connect it>

Raist.
...but see post 25.

JohnHorb
12-12-2004, 16:04
Clutching at straws here, maybe someone can answer this. If the PC is detecting an access point somewhere nearby (neighbour), would it try to associate with that, even if the WEP key didn't match, and might that be what is causing the problem? If not using a router/access point, I would be inclined to set both ends up as 'ad-hoc'.

Raistlin
13-12-2004, 17:43
The fact that Lisa's wireless adaptors are only picking up one access point/wireless device each (I'm sure she would have mentioned the fact that there was more than one) would seem to preclude this but it's a good thought.

Lisa, in the properties settings, for either of your wireless adaptors (not for the wireless connection), does it allow you to change the frequencies / channels that they connect on?
I have just solved my problems with my wireless router and it all stemmed from the fact that the channel (or frequency) that they were on was accepting interference from an unknown source so they weren't able to attain / keep a stable connection.

Also, is there an option in the Laptop's wireless adaptor's properties that allows you to choose between which wireless standard it is using? Looking at the name of the adaptor it should be capable of running on either the "b" or the "g" standard. If it is set to "g" then this will certainly cause problems, if it is set to "either" or "both" then you might want to try telling it only to use "b" (as this appears to be the standard supported by the adaptor in the PC).

lisauk
14-12-2004, 23:15
Dear All

Thank you for so many posts, guess what since my last posting I have had not problems: probably should not have said that "Famous last words and all that"

The desktop is alway on along time before the laptop as my partner uses the desktop when he gets home and he using the internet so I guess it does have an ip address.

The network is set up to be an adhock network on both machines.

Not sure about an wireless stardard or by the frequency question, what is meant by this?

My wireless router has arrived but I have decided as it is a Christmas present I will not open it until Christmas Day, guess where I will be Christmas probably on here although I will probably not get a chance to install it christmas day.

I did think perhaps I was picking up someone elses wireless device before as I did get another thing comeup in wireless networks but it was only once and i have not seen it since.

What are the security issue with this could someone sit outside my house and access my computer using a wireless connection or is this safe aslong as i use the WEP key?

Any more question please post.

Probably be back here tomorrow when it does not work once again.

Raistlin
14-12-2004, 23:41
Hi Lisa,

I've got all of my fingers, all of my toes, my legs, my arms, and my eyes crossed for you.

Ok, there are essentially two wireless standards. Wireless "b" and wireless "g". The "g" standard is the newest standard of the two and is also the fastest. Most "g" devices are compatible with both standards. If you are using two different standards on your network then this might be causing problems but isn't normally a problem.

As for the frequencies, wireless transmitters operate at different frequencies (a bit like different radio stations transmitting on different frequencies - which is why you have to retune to get a different station). Most of the time these frequencies are so close together that your equipment sorts it all out itself. As I have recently found with my equipment, it is possible that there will be interference from something else that mucks up the signal (a microwave, a cordless phone etc). You can find that changing the frequencies that your equipment is operating on will stop this being an issue.

Security....... Hmm, I have one or two concerns myself about wireless security. The way I understand it though is that if you have a WEP key set up it is very (or should that be fairly?) difficult for somebody else to get access to your network. They would have to hack your key and then tell their machine the exact key to use to connect to your network. If you are using 128 bit encryption then this will provide better protection than a 64 bit encryption.
You will probably find, when you start to install your router, that there are more security options in there. You might, for instance, be able to tell it to only allow access from certain machines (which you would specify when you set it up).

I sincerely hope that your network stays nice and stable for you and that you don't get any problems when you come to install your router.
Obviously, if you get any questions when you come to do that then just post back here and I'm sure we'll be able to work it out together.

If we don't hear from you before, I hope that you and your b/f have a great Christmas and that your wireless experience continues to be trouble free and happy :D

Take care,

Raist.

lisauk
15-12-2004, 23:05
Raistlin (member.php?u=3411),

I do have a B and a G on my wireless net work as the laptop have a G connection which is built in and the desktop has a wireless dongle which is a B the dongle will be replaced with a wired connection to the router once christmas is here.

Can you tell me how you can change the frequecies?

I do have a wirefree telephone which is just plugged into the power in the same room as the desktop this may be interfering i guess.

I am unable to connect one again but hopefully i will get it working in a mintute.

Cheers Lisa

Raistlin
16-12-2004, 01:14
Lisa,

Not sure how to change the frequencies on your equipment without taking a look at it.

You may find that there is some software that was installed with the dongle on the PC and that there will be an option in there that will allow you to change the frequencies. To change them on mine I need to go into the router control panel, make the change, and then reboot. The adaptor on the laptop seems to sort itsef out from there.

I'm (fairly) confident that once you get your router installed (and probably after a bit of tweaking) you should be able to get and keep a stable connection. I've had one or two teething problems with mine but now everything seems to be working absolutely perfectly.

Unfortnately everything that I have read (and your recent experiences) seems to suggest that wireless networking between 2 PCs without a router can be extremely hit and miss (to say the very least).

I've just re-read a couple of your earlier posts, it looks like we have the same wireless adaptor in our Laptops.
Will you do me a favour and check a couple of settings on your laptop for me?

Go to:
Start > Control Panel > Network Connections
Right click on your wireless adaptor and select "properties"
Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then click on the "Properties" button
Check that "obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically" are both selected

Now, click OK.
Now click Close.

Go to the PC and select:
Start > Control Panel > Network Connections
Right click on the wireless dongle icon and select "Properties"
Carry out the same checks that I've listed above.

I'm gonna have a read around and see if I can find out a bit more about wireless networks between two PCs (without a router). I'll see if I can find anything that may help to get this sorted.

As a further experiment you may want to try unplugging the Cordless phone and then rebooting the Cable Modem, PC and then Laptop - in that order (leaving a good gap between each). That should help us to determine if there is an interference problem with the phone).

Ok, I'll leave it at that for now, let me know how you get on and I'll speak to you soon.

G'night,

Raist.

lisauk
26-12-2004, 14:28
At long last, finally Christmas is here and I have installed my wireless router with no problems what so ever.

I have followed the installation instruction but I have changed the wireless security to WEP and entered a WEP key. Is there anything else I should do?

I can now turn my laptop on and off and still i have a connection.

Cheers to everyone who has been helping in the thread, Merry Christmas and A Very Happy New Year.

lisauk
29-12-2004, 10:14
Hi All,

Is there something I need to do in order to be able to print to the printer on the desk top?

I have not set up the new network on the desktop that I am now using between the laptop and router is this what I need to do?

Cheers Lisa

Raistlin
29-12-2004, 13:41
I have followed the installation instruction but I have changed the wireless security to WEP and entered a WEP key. Is there anything else I should do?
Hi Lisa,

Glad that your connetion problems seem to be sorted. As long as you've added the WEP key there isn't much else you should need to worry about.
If your router allows it you could limit access to it to the two machines that you are using, that would prevent anybody else from accessing the router.

Look for a setting that allows you to limit access to certain MAC addresses. If you have any problems let us know.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Raist.

Raistlin
29-12-2004, 13:44
Hi All,

Is there something I need to do in order to be able to print to the printer on the desk top?

I have not set up the new network on the desktop that I am now using between the laptop and router is this what I need to do?

Cheers Lisa
I'm not entirely sure how you would get this to work. At a guess, you would need to have file and printer sharing enabled on both machines (but there are some security risks associated with that - try a Google search) and then set up a network between the two - but to be honest I'm not entirely sure.

Raist.

GeoffW
29-12-2004, 15:42
As Raistlin says, just share the printer on the desktop, on XP there is a "share printer" option on the menu. The makes it visible to other machines on your network. On the laptop just install a new printer and you should see it available as something like //desktop/hp-printer.

I find its easier just to install the printer drivers on each machine and set the shared printer up as the default, than use the XP printer setup though.

lisauk
29-12-2004, 18:35
Thank you GeoffW.

I know this is not the place for my following question but I would very much appriciate help.

I had a Sony PEGA-CC5 (PEG-TH55) for Christmas and I have been trying to install it on my laptop since 25th December.

Does anyone know of a good forum to try or can anyone offer me assistance. if you can please message me or private message me and I will contact you.

I try to install the software that came with it and when i click the install button it says "Palm Desktop application may not be installed properly. Please refer to the handheld user manual on how to re-install the Palm Desktop application and try again. I have reinstalled the software uninstalled the software but still no joy.

The CD i am installing is Smart ST Professional for PalmOS 5 v1.30

The PDA is connected via a usb cable.

Sorry for posting here but i did not know what else to try.

Cheers L

JohnHorb
29-12-2004, 18:48
Try

http://www.expansys.com.au/forumoverviewcat.asp?man=SONY

or here

http://esupport.sony.com/cgi-bin/select-clie.pl

Also, a quick google indicates that the software you are trying to install is for Navman's GPS system - I would guess you have to install the Clie software first, if you've not already done so.

lisauk
29-12-2004, 22:23
I have tried to install the CLIE software but it tells me that the Handheld is not installed.

I have posted a message on the first link you gave me but it seem not many people are posting on there.

Cheers for all help.

L

lisauk
09-01-2005, 17:56
What is the XP Printer setup?

I am not sure what I am doing now with the share printer thing.

I do not want to mess up my desktop internet connection.

I am not sure if I have the desktop on the same network as the laptop as I can not access file between the two machine.

Please can someone tell me in a dummy way how to do all of this so I can access files from both machines and so i can print to the printer which is attached to the desktop.

My network set up is as follows:

internet --- wireless router --- wireless laptop

internet --- wireless router --- ethnet connection to desktop --- printer

Cheers Lisa

Raistlin
09-01-2005, 23:06
What is the XP Printer setup?

I am not sure what I am doing now with the share printer thing.

I do not want to mess up my desktop internet connection.

I am not sure if I have the desktop on the same network as the laptop as I can not access file between the two machine.

Please can someone tell me in a dummy way how to do all of this so I can access files from both machines and so i can print to the printer which is attached to the desktop.

My network set up is as follows:

internet --- wireless router --- wireless laptop

internet --- wireless router --- ethnet connection to desktop --- printer

Cheers Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Have you tried the Network connection Wizard in XP?

I haven't tried it myself but it looks like it might be able to do this automatically for you.

START > CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK SETUP WIZARD (not the wireless one though)

Haven't been able to try it because I only have one machine. Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

It might be worth creating a new restore point before you start (just in case :D )

lisauk
13-01-2005, 21:09
How do i create a new restart point?

Raistlin
13-01-2005, 21:22
To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

lisauk
13-01-2005, 21:41
I have just used the network wizard but it has not seemed to work.

I have also done the wizard on my laptop.

During the wizard set up it asks if you want to use the same connection as the internet connection I said yes.

Any think else you can recommend?

Raistlin
13-01-2005, 22:19
I take it that the internet connections are still working ok and that you have a wireless connection that is stable and running fine?

On the laptop you need to have the drivers for the printer installed (I think). You will also probably need to install the printer as a network printer:

Try - START > CONTROL PANEL > PRINTERS AND FAXES > ADD PRINTER

Windows should ask if you want to install a local printer (attached to this computer) or a network printer, select the network printer option. So long as you have file and printer sharing enabled on the desktop it should be able to pick it up.

I seem to remember that there is another setting that you need to enable as well (something about binding File and Printer sharing to one of the network protocols) but I can't remember which it is yet. Give me a while and I will see what I can find for you.

Raistlin
13-01-2005, 22:23
Some good info here:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1596

Raistlin
13-01-2005, 22:26
And there is some stuff on File Sharing here:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1427| (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1427)

lisauk
13-01-2005, 22:28
I have been trying to get into my linksys router setup but for the life of me I can't remember my username or password is there anything i can do to find this out?

Yes my internet connection are both working and very stable.

Lisa

Raistlin
13-01-2005, 22:33
Ummmm..........If it's the same as my router then the user name is blank and the password is whatever you set it to when you changed it. Sorry I can't be of any more help than that. If you've forgotten it I think you may need to do a complete reset.

What's the model number? I'll see what I can find out for you.

lisauk
13-01-2005, 22:36
Yes it is the same as yours a WRT54G.

I can't remember the password, how do i do a reset..

Raistlin
13-01-2005, 22:37
Hang on a mo.....

Raistlin
13-01-2005, 22:41
Ok:

Instructions HERE (http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=466&p_created=1084211633&p_sid=jk6tVsvh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MjM2JnBfcHJvZHM9MSwwJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0 xLjE7Mi51MCZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc 2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJ jaF90ZXh0PVdSVDU0RyBwYXNzd29yZA**&p_li=&p_topview=1) and HERE (http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=602&p_created=1084218077&p_sid=jk6tVsvh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MjM2JnBfcHJvZHM9MSwwJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0 xLjE7Mi51MCZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc 2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJ jaF90ZXh0PVdSVDU0RyBwYXNzd29yZA**&p_li=&p_topview=1) they look like the same instructions but note the point in the second one about the LED lights.

lisauk
14-01-2005, 12:19
Thank you I will have a go this evening and post back, are they any settings in for the router to do with printing?

SMHarman
14-01-2005, 13:41
Thank you I will have a go this evening and post back, are they any settings in for the router to do with printing?
No printing settings are entirely down to windoze. If you need to reset the router you will need to reinput the SSID / WEP key etc for your laptop to reconnect. The password for mine is now stuck to the router so i don't forget it.

I'm sure it has been asked so far but in Windows do you have file and printer shareing turned on on the PCs.

Do all the PCs belong to the same workgroup e.g. LISAUK

Does Each PC have a unique name LISA_DESK, LISA_LAPTOP etc.

Can you file share between these PCs, can you see them in the network neighbourhood on My Computer.

If not and they belong to the same workgroup, have you tried searching for them in My Computer (search for Or is it Find) and choose computer not file or folder.

lisauk
14-01-2005, 18:48
I have restet my router and both LAPTOP & DESKTOP have stable internet connections.

Both machines have file and printer sharing turrned on.

Both machine belong to the same workgroup and have unique names.

I can not seem to share files between the two machines.

There is no netowrk neighbourhood on windows XP is there?

If i go to My Network Places, Microsoft Windows Network my Workgroup is displayed but it will not let me access it.

I have just search for the unique name I gave the DESKTOP on the network and it found nothing.

Raistlin
14-01-2005, 19:03
Ok, assuming that both machines are on XP..........

Do you have to put in a user name and password when you log into both machines?

My memory is a bit hazy but I know that I read somewhere that XP (and the other OS's that work along the sime lines) will only allow you to access a networked machine if you are logged in with a valid username and password.

You only mention the problems with files above, did you get the printers working?

Do you have a firewall running on either machine?

Can you PING one machine from the other? (One of the more network minded bods should be able to tell you how to do that)

Raistlin
14-01-2005, 19:04
I take it that you read the material on File Sharing in the link that I posted above?

JohnHorb
14-01-2005, 19:14
1) On a workgroup, as Raistlin says, you have to have the same username and password on each machine.
2) To ping, open up a command prompt (Start/Program/Accessories) and type

ping <ip address>

where <ip address> is the ip address of the other machine - it will be something like

so

ping 192.168.2.25

If you don't know what the ip addess of the other machine is, open a command prompt on the OTHER machine, and type

ipconfig /all

If pinging by IP address is OK, type

ping -a <ip address>

This should display the NAME of the other machine.

If this works, type

ping <machine name>

e.g.

ping LISALAPTOP

post the results of these tests.

lisauk
14-01-2005, 19:14
Both machines are running XP i do not have to log in I do not have this set up.

I still do not have the printers working because I can not see the other machine from the one i use.

I do have a firewall I have zonealarm on both.

I have not read the details you posted sorry.

I am dyslexic and reading to much info really does fry my brain.

I do need someone to tell me how to try and ping one machine from the other.

Cheers Lisa

JohnHorb
14-01-2005, 19:18
See above!

Raistlin
14-01-2005, 19:21
Both machines are running XP i do not have to log in I do not have this set up.

Ok, that sounds like the cause of the problem then. You should really have User Accounts with passwords set up on both machines.

I do have a firewall I have zonealarm on both.

Ok, this may present a problem later but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

I have not read the details you posted sorry.

I am dyslexic and reading to much info really does fry my brain.

Apologies, I had not considered that possibility when I posted those links. I will try to pull out the relevant information and post that for you in future responses.

I do need someone to tell me how to try and ping one machine from the other.

John's post above gives very good instructions for doing this (reminder to self, must RP John :D).

See how you get on with the PING, would strongly recommend that you set up Passwords for the accounts on both machine as this will be hindering progress on getting this solved.

lisauk
14-01-2005, 19:25
I have done ping computer name

Which results should i post it says

3 x Reply from 192.168.@.@@@ bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.@.@@@

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip time in milli-seconds: Minium = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

Is this what you wanted to know?

Raistlin
14-01-2005, 19:33
I have to go out now for a while but I'll check back here when I get in later. I'm sure John will be along in a while to interpret those PING results for you and advise you whether they are normal or not.

Networking really isn't my particular area of expertise (I'm learning fast though).

Have a good evening.

JohnHorb
14-01-2005, 19:36
That shows the PCs can at least talk to each other. (Just one point - sorry to be pedantic, but I'm not sure my previous post made it clear - 'computer name' should be the name of the OTHER computer. I'm sure you realised this, but just in case...)
[Edit] ..and it's worth trying Raistin's suggestion - I think you at least need identical user names on each machine, If they have password, these need to be identical.

lisauk
14-01-2005, 20:55
yes I did realise that it was the other computers name i have to put.

When you say password and username do you mean windows password and username.

I had a network working before i had my router and i could print and share files.

SMHarman
14-01-2005, 21:39
Whoah, the router does the job Zone Alarm used to do. Switch off or remove Zone alarm from both PC's

Also have you shared any material on each of the PC's.

Right Click on a folder on the PC eg My Docs and share it. Then there will be something shared in File sharing.

Once File sharing works we are on the home straight and printers will be easy.

lisauk
14-01-2005, 21:43
mydocuments is shared and the printer on the desktop from when i use to use the network before the router.

People on here have told me to use zonealarm as an extra measure

SMHarman
14-01-2005, 21:51
If your PCs are behind a router (which they are now) then zone alarm is an extra measure, but may not be helping in this case.
If for the moment you can shut it down on these machines we can see if that is part of the problem. Zone Alarm may effectivly be blocking the file sharing.
There is another thread on here at the moment about firewalls. You will see from reading it that you will not be less secure with za off

lisauk
14-01-2005, 22:00
With out going upstairs and disabling ZA i have looked in the alter logs for the laptop.

It does have lots of alerts for what i think it the ip of the desktop as it only have 1 number different from the laptop.

It says

Rating: Medium
Type: Firewall
Protocol: TCP (flags:S)
Source IP: 192.168.@.@@1
Destination Ip: 192.168.@.@@0
Direction: Outgoing
Action: Blocked
Source DNS: Laptop

lisauk
14-01-2005, 22:09
AT LAST.

thank you for all your help.

I added the IP's to the trust sites on each machine in ZA and now it works.

Cheers Lisa

Raistlin
14-01-2005, 22:29
:clap: :hyper: :handshake :dmonk:

-*-*- CONGRATULATIONS -*-*-

I'm really glad that this is finally sorted for you, hopefully things will run smoothly now for a while - I'm sure it will all be worth the effort :D

Take care,

Raist.

lisauk
05-02-2005, 00:19
Just when i thought it was going so well i all falls over.

Firstly for some strange reason i decided to search for command.com on my laptop it was found so i doubled clicked from then on i had no more internet connection from my router...

Could this have caused my problem?

Now sometimes on my laptop i get the limited or no connection ! on the wireless network or i just dont get anything.

can anyone help please.

Lisa

Raistlin
05-02-2005, 00:46
Hi Lisa,

I have to confess that my heart fell a little when I saw this thread had been resurrected.....

Never mind, let's see if we can get this sorted for you.

What steps have you tried so far?

I would suggest (if you haven't already) that a complete reboot of the Modem, Router, and both machines, is in order.

Turn everything off, leave a minute or so, and then turn back on in this order (waiting between each device until it has settled):

Modem
Router
Desktop
Laptop

Post back and let us know how you get on with that and also what else you have tried.

Also, why were you searching for command.com and what were you expecting to happen when you ran it?

JohnHorb
05-02-2005, 08:07
Running command.com shouldn't have any effect on your Internet connection normally. The only thing I can think of is a virus (either that, or it was just a timing coincidence). Can you find the file again, and post

a) where it was found (e.g. c:\Windows)
b) its size and timestamp

If you tell us which Service Pack you are running on XP, someone should be able to tell you whether the file looks 'pukka'. Also, did double-clicking it open a 'DOS' window (it should have done)? Do you have an up-to-date anti-virus setup?