PDA

View Full Version : Boring your friends with your (digital) holiday snaps

Theodoric
23-08-2003, 23:06
In the good old days you could take your packet of holiday photos around to unsuspecting friends and relatives and bore them rigid. Now that digital cameras are here, arriving at your friends with a complete PC system strapped on your back is not really on.

Admittedly you could put them on a CD but even if said friends have a PC, it is likely to be in some uncomfortable, little bedroom; not quite the same as sitting on a comfy settee in the front room.

Now, while the photos are on your camera, you can display them on a TV set (well, mine can and I assume it is a generally available facility). However, once wiped off the camera, that's it.

So, my question is, is there any way of temporarily uploading them back onto the camera? Alternatively, is there any cheap, light, piece of equipment available on which you can upload the pictures and then display them on TV. I suppose you could think of it as a sort of reverse card reader.

And does anyone have any other way of getting around this limitation of digital cameras. (Of course the friends and relatives may think of it as a blessing, not a limitation! :) )

Exulus
23-08-2003, 23:32
i just plug my camera in, open up My Computer, double click the camera and then upload photos (and other files suprisingly!) Its a quick way to send mp3s etc between friends pcs although i wouldnt recommend it because i dont know what it would do to the camera if you tried to view them :eek:

Kneebs
24-08-2003, 00:34
Originally posted by Theodoric
Alternatively, is there any cheap, light, piece of equipment available on which you can upload the pictures and then display them on TV. I suppose you could think of it as a sort of reverse card reader.

Hows about a video cassette ? I presume your camera has phono output if your video doesnt have phono inputs, you can get an adaptor to convert phono to scart. Connect your camera to your video, press record, start the slideshow, and hey presto, piccies on tape. :)

Mick

Maggy
24-08-2003, 01:32
Here's a novel idea!Why not get some decent photo paper/card and be SELECTIVE and just pick the really good pics that convey the holiday/wedding/party/show and PRINT them out?With the money you save on old fashoined development you can afford to take along a few spares and hand them around as a gift.An even better way of annoying your relatives.

Incog;)

Alan Waddington
24-08-2003, 05:11
I still tend to use film for my holiday snaps & use the digital camera for photos for websites or to email friends abroad.

The digital camera was great for last christmas' party. I put the photos on my website & sent everyone an email telling them where they were. Now I can bore people to tears without having to waste my time. LOL.

Alan

(Anyone want to see my 120 holiday snaps? - just kidding)

duncant403
26-08-2003, 10:13
You can buy smart card readers that plug into a TV - you just put your media card in them and use them to display a slide show. Some of them come with remote controls as well...

Alternatively, you could do what I did - I put my photos on a DVD :)

Nemesis
26-08-2003, 10:17
Why not burn the pictures onto a VCD. With Nero you can create a menu and show then on the TV via a DVD player.

Theodoric
26-08-2003, 19:19
Originally posted by duncant403
You can buy smart card readers that plug into a TV - you just put your media card in them and use them to display a slide show. Some of them come with remote controls as well...

Alternatively, you could do what I did - I put my photos on a DVD :)
Your para 1. Yes! Any useful Internet sites?

Your para 2. Squirreled away for when (if ever) we get a DVD player.

duncant403
27-08-2003, 09:49
Originally posted by Theodoric
Your para 1. Yes! Any useful Internet sites?

I know I've seen them in Dixons, but I can't find any details on their website...

However try the following:
http://www.card-media.co.uk/digi+viewer.htm

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-search.asp?action=search&tid=665&ob=manufacturer&stab=ref&refererid=ZD
(there's one near the bottom of the page called "Photo Viewer"

http://www.itweek.co.uk/Products/Hardware/1142850

(I think the Dazzle is the one I've seen in Dixons).

Duncan

Ramrod
27-08-2003, 11:59
we get ours turned into normal 6*4 glossies.

MrSums
27-08-2003, 12:10
My favorite ways of showing pics:

1. Selective hard copy print - dump onto a CD and post off to Jessops

2. Use MS Powerpoint to create a slide-show (Open Ofice works for those with limited budgets)

3. Put a couple of them on MyYahoo and e-mail address to friends

Question: can you open attachments on TV e-mail? Could you e-mail to your tv account and see them on the big box?

MrSums

Theodoric
27-08-2003, 19:37
Originally posted by MrSums

Question: can you open attachments on TV e-mail? Could you e-mail to your tv account and see them on the big box?

MrSums
I don't know to be honest, but it should be worth me checking out. I've got to admit that, after we got ntl digital, I tried the email service out of idle curiosity and quickly decided that it was pretty useless. I haven't looked at it since. I must dredge out the handbook.

Theodoric
27-08-2003, 22:14
Originally posted by duncant403
I know I've seen them in Dixons, but I can't find any details on their website...

However try the following:
http://www.card-media.co.uk/digi+viewer.htm

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-search.asp?action=search&tid=665&ob=manufacturer&stab=ref&refererid=ZD
(there's one near the bottom of the page called "Photo Viewer"

http://www.itweek.co.uk/Products/Hardware/1142850

(I think the Dazzle is the one I've seen in Dixons).

Duncan
There seems to be one or two tantalising possibilities, but I still think what I need first is something to transfer the photos from my PC back to the SD memory card.
PS Re various suggestions about printing the photos, the thread I started earlier on this subject suggested that the cheapest price might be 15p per 6"x4" print. I am an inveterate holiday snapper (my world record was 10 rolls of 36 exposure film), so I was looking for a cheaper way of showing them.

Ramrod
27-08-2003, 22:43
Originally posted by MrSums

1. Selective hard copy print - dump onto a CD and post off to Jessops

I just download ours....:confused:

Chris
27-08-2003, 23:56
I used to use a Sony digi camera, which would recognise photos loaded back onto the memory stick provided you had not edited them, not changed the file names and put them in the same folder as they were in previously. Otherwise it totally ignored them.

Now I have a Minolta Dimage f300 and I've not tried reloading files yet ... I assume if you put things back on it exactly as they were, it's unlikely to spot the difference...