PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband - View page web problem

lisauk
04-12-2004, 18:53
Hi,

My parents have just had broadband installed at home well when I say installed i mean they have put the cable modem in and all the lights are on correctly. I know this is correct because I also have NTL broadband and the lights are lit as mine are.

I have checked that my parents are recieving an IP address which they are and it starts 80. which I think is correct as mine starts 81.

I have also managed to ping sucessfully a web address using the command prompt in XP.

The problem is that they can not view any webpages i am guess that it maybe a proxy problem or something but this is only a guess. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it I have been trying to get through the NTL all day with no success.

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Cheers Lisa

Nikko
04-12-2004, 19:12
Hi Lisa & :welcome: to CF :)

80.xxx sounds OK for an IP - have you checked to see if a specified proxy exists in IE - tools/internet options/connections/lan settings - all the boxes should be blank (un-checked)

Bill C
04-12-2004, 19:13
Hi,

My parents have just had broadband installed at home well when I say installed i mean they have put the cable modem in and all the lights are on correctly. I know this is correct because I also have NTL broadband and the lights are lit as mine are.

I have checked that my parents are recieving an IP address which they are and it starts 80. which I think is correct as mine starts 81.

I have also managed to ping sucessfully a web address using the command prompt in XP.

The problem is that they can not view any webpages i am guess that it maybe a proxy problem or something but this is only a guess. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it I have been trying to get through the NTL all day with no success.

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Cheers Lisa

What is the last 3 digits of the ip address

lisauk
04-12-2004, 20:05
Just been to parents house to check the following:

q1) if a specified proxy exists in IE - tools/internet options/connections/lan settings - all the boxes should be blank (un-checked)

a1) all are unchecked

q2) Last three digits of IP

a2) 80.#.###.254

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers Lisa

Chris W
04-12-2004, 20:09
go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net on your parents computer and follow the registration instructions.

the serial number is ntl ct8 cj486

if it tells you "already registered" PM me the pin number and mac address of the modem and i'll have a look at this on monday.

lisauk
04-12-2004, 21:31
Monkeybreath can I ask, What does the autoreg.autoregister.net actually do?

Why do you think I can not access any web pages but i can ping a web address.

Kind regards Lisa

quadplay
04-12-2004, 21:40
The autoreg website gets the modem added onto the provisioning system, and also sets up the email address and webspace. With a pre-registration IP as your parents have, most Internet services are active, but all HTTP requests on port 80 are blocked, apart from those to the autoreg website. The modem needs to be registered and reset before the PC will get a full-service IP address.

lisauk
04-12-2004, 21:44
Thank you very much for everyones help on this.

I will try the autoreg tomorrow and post back my results.

One last thing if needed where do I get the mac address for the modem from?

Kind regards Lisa

Raistlin
04-12-2004, 21:45
It should be on a little sticker on the bottom of the modem.

:welcome: by the way!! :D

Raist.

quadplay
04-12-2004, 21:50
Just under a barcode on the bottom of the modem!

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it! ;)

Raistlin
04-12-2004, 22:02
:LOL: Sorry! :D

lisauk
04-12-2004, 22:05
Will the MAC address always be in this location, I just want to make sure I get all information i need for when i post back tomorrow. What is the Mac address is not located under the serial number?

Kind regards Lisa

Raistlin
04-12-2004, 22:08
It should be, it will look a lot like an IP address but should have a mixture of letters and numbers.

If you're not sure which is which then just make a note of all the info that is on the bottom and post it back here, we should be able to tell you what is what.

If the engineer was doing a particularly efficient job then it may even be written on the paperwork that he left when he had finished the installation.

Raist.

JohnHorb
04-12-2004, 22:40
A slight note of caution. If you do have problems, don't post the MAC address here - PM it to Monkeybreath. He works for NTL, so it's safe to PM him personal details.

quadplay
04-12-2004, 22:47
The MAC address will look like ntl:home xxx MAC 00.02.8a.yy.yy.yy, where xxx is either 120 or 200, and y is either a number between 0 and 9 or a letter between a and f.

Raistlin
05-12-2004, 05:52
A slight note of caution. If you do have problems, don't post the MAC address here - PM it to Monkeybreath. He works for NTL, so it's safe to PM him personal details. Good point, well made.

Sorry 'bout that, been up all hours today (on call at the mo) - starting to get tired now.

(Naughty Raistlin :knock: )