PDA

View Full Version : Windows Critical Update 821557

Theodoric
23-08-2003, 22:49
821557: Security Update (Windows XP)
Download size: 5.1 MB, 8 minutes
An identified security issue in Microsoft Windows could allow an attacker to compromise a Microsoft Windows-based system and then take a variety of actions. For example, an attacker could execute code on the system. By installing this update, you can help protect your computer. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Read more...

Has anyone had problems after installing the above update? I have Windows XP Home Edition with SP1 installed. After installing the above patch I found a problem with Windows Explorer; this was that right clicking any file stopped the process with the hourglass cursor never disappearing. The only way out was Ctrl-Alt-Del. I managed to clear the problem by doing a System Restore to a Restore Point just before installing the update. I have repeated the process and got the same fault.

carlingman
23-08-2003, 23:25
Not that this is going to of much help to you.

But I have that update on mine and the problem does not occur with myself although I am running XP Pro not Home.

Seems a bit of weird one though.

:)

Theodoric
23-08-2003, 23:43
Originally posted by carlingman
Not that this is going to of much help to you.

But I have that update on mine and the problem does not occur with myself although I am running XP Pro not Home.

Seems a bit of weird one though.

:)
Well, it helps in the sense that I've a horrible suspicion that the problem is going to be unique to me. I've emailed MS and we'll see what they say, but I'm not holding my breath.

Fortunately, I think I can live without this update. The MS KB article says that a malicious user would attack via a shared file and I don't use shared files.

Rara Avis
24-08-2003, 00:39
I think you may be alone on this one. The MS site has a problem page for a similar issue but not related to the update you're referring to. You can check it out and see if it helps I suppose.
You'll have to wait for help by email but I've waited for a week before, but I got sorted with my problem in the end.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819101

Alan Waddington
24-08-2003, 05:19
Mine works fine. You could try rolling back the update & seeing if the problem goes away. Also try a chkdsk to see if your file system has errors.

Theodoric
24-08-2003, 12:38
Originally posted by Rara Avis
I think you may be alone on this one. The MS site has a problem page for a similar issue but not related to the update you're referring to. You can check it out and see if it helps I suppose.
You'll have to wait for help by email but I've waited for a week before, but I got sorted with my problem in the end.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819101
Thanks. I shall squirrel it away for future possible use. I know that I could again install the update and try the 2 workarounds that MS suggest but, to be honest, I feel a little nervous about pushing my luck too far!

Rara Avis
24-08-2003, 14:07
Originally posted by Theodoric
Thanks. I shall squirrel it away for future possible use. I know that I could again install the update and try the 2 workarounds that MS suggest but, to be honest, I feel a little nervous about pushing my luck too far!

You're probably quite safe as you are. If you're not sharing files in that wayand you're careful in other ways, then do what you feel comfortable with.
if I hear anything about anyone with a similar problem, will let you know.

Theodoric
25-08-2003, 20:39
For those of you interested in such esoteric things, here is what happened.

I received the following reply fom Microsoft.

As I understand from your explanation, after you installed q821557 patch, the computer will hang when you right click a file in Windows Explorer. If I have misunderstood your concern, please let me know.
According to my experience, this is caused by corrupted SendTo shortcut.
Please follow these steps to resolve this issue:
1. Click Start and point to Run.
2. Type "SendTo" (without the quotation marks) and click OK. The SendTo folder will open.
3. Delete every shortcut one by one and test if this issue each time a shortcut is deleted until it is resolved.

I could not follow this advice directly as I also found that I could not open the File menu in Explorer, so that I could not delete the shortcuts. However, the Edit menu was working so I selected everything and moved them to a temporary directory then moved them back one at a time. I found that the problem was caused by a shortcut called 'Direct CD Drive (F)' (I have Roxio CDWriter on my PC).

However, I found that on restarting my PC that this shortcut returned to the SendTo folder. A check with MSConfig showed a Startup item called DirectCD. I disabled this Startup item which seemed to solve the problem. I'm only hoping that it's not going to effect my Roxio CD Writer.

Which all goes to confirm my opinion that the day when PCs are as reliable as modern cars is still far distant in the future. If your car gave you as many problems as your PC seems to do, would you be a very happy bunny?