PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the £2 Console service...

dchhui
01-12-2004, 18:36
Greetings to all those on these forums. I wonder if you can help with some questions I have.

Basically, I have decided to cave in and join the Online Gaming bandwagon. However when I tried to connect my PS2 to the internet using my broadband connection, it wouldn't do so i.e. it couldn't contact "Central Station". After talking to an ntl call centre person over the phone, I discovered that you have to pay an extra £2 to enable the console to connect over the net, much to my anger and annoyance.

Having browsed through some of the posts of these forums, some mentioned MAC cloning or use of a Router. Since I do not wish to fool around with the technical bits of my computer (My Apple Mac does not have any such utilities that would allow me to change it's MAC address and I do not want to break it), I decide the latter would be more desirable. I would also prefer the latter option as it would kill two birds with one stone and allow me to network my Mac with my laptop PC and swap files between the two.

So basically, I'm asking has anyone else been able to connect their PS2 to the net via a router without coughing up an extra £2 a month and if so how do you set it up?

Thanks in advance.

Neil
01-12-2004, 18:46
If you have a router, you don't need the 2nd I.P service from ntl

The router grabs your single I.P address from ntl as normal, then issues 'internal' I.P addresses to the devices on the network via DHCP. :)

Get a router, you won't regret it. :tu:

:welcome: to the site btw. :)

dchhui
01-12-2004, 18:53
If you have a router, you don't need the 2nd I.P service from ntl

The router grabs your single I.P address from ntl as normal, then issues 'internal' I.P addresses to the devices on the network via DHCP. :)

Get a router, you won't regret it. :tu:

:welcome: to the site btw. :)

OK. That I understand. However what I want to know is how do I set it up so that it is guaranteed to work. I do not want to spend more money only for the thing to not work.

paulyoung666
01-12-2004, 19:10
plug the ps2 into the router and away you go :) , :welcome: to the site as well , hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Maggy
01-12-2004, 19:24
OK. That I understand. However what I want to know is how do I set it up so that it is guaranteed to work. I do not want to spend more money only for the thing to not work.

Very :notopic: but is your avatar all your own work?I like it.It has a certain something. :tu:

Incog. :)

paulyoung666
01-12-2004, 19:26
Very :notopic: but is your avatar all your own work?I like it.It has a certain something. :tu:

wtf , sorry miss :( :D :D :D

Stuart
01-12-2004, 19:30
I thought there was an article somewhere on the site about this?

Anyway, seeing as I cannot find it, I'll try and provide a quick and dirty explanation.

Unplug your PC from your cable modem. Plug your PC into the router (using a wired connection - it's best to have at least one computer connected via a wired connection in case everything goes t*ts up).

Now power up the router, then the PC.

On the PC, open a web browser (any will do), go to your router's admin page (usually http://192.168.0.1 (http://192.168.0.1/) or http://192.168.0.100 (http://192.168.0.100/)) and log in. You'll need to look at the router's instructions for how to do this. If it's the first time you use the router, you'll probably get a "Wizard" to help you set up.

One of the options on most routers is to "Clone" a computer's address. This is done because most cable or ADSL modems will only talk to the device who's MAC* address it has registered. Cloning the MAC* address enables the router to appear to be that PC to the cable modem.

When you have cloned the PCs address,hook the router up to the cable modem and go through the rest of the wizard. The router may need to restart. It would also be a good idea to restart the cable modem and PC as well..

As long as the PC & Mac (computer) are set to request their details either Automatically or using DHCP, you should be able to connect both now. Both PC and Mac should work with the default settings.

Theoretically the PS2 should be the same, but I haven't actually set one up so don't know.

*MAC in this case has nothing to do with the Macintosh computer. It stands for Media Access Control and is a standardised system for numbering devices on a network, or the Internet.

Neil
01-12-2004, 19:49
I dont know whether Sony (like Microsoft do) have a list of PS2 compatible routers, but they are pretty much available everywhere now.

Have a look here (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=91&ShopGroupID=30&Alt=Yes) for some PS2 wireless routers, & here (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=92&ShopGroupID=30&Alt=Yes) for PS2 wireless ethernet bridges to go with your router.

I'm presuming you actually want to go wireless? :erm:

dchhui
02-12-2004, 09:36
Very :notopic: but is your avatar all your own work?I like it.It has a certain something. :tu: Apologies. I was not aware that topic posting rules were as strict as that. I guess I should've known better, being the moderator of a message board myself. And yes, the avatar is my own work. Thank you for your comments.

Anyway, Thank you for your help all. There are still a few things that confuse me though.

One of the options on most routers is to "Clone" a computer's address. This is done because most cable or ADSL modems will only talk to the device who's MAC* address it has registered. Cloning the MAC* address enables the router to appear to be that PC to the cable modem. Here's where I'm confused. Would it be necessary to clone the MAC address of my PC? The broadband connection is normally directly plugged into my Apple Mac and it works fine. If I want to connect my PC laptop to the net (I'm using it to post this message now), all I have to do is disconnect the cable modem from the Apple Mac, reboot the cable modem and plug it into my PC. Basically, both have different MAC addresses, yet work when the modem is rebooted. Now, theoretically this technique should work when switching the connection over to the PS2, so why is it that the PS2 seemingly cannot connect to the registration service on "Central Station"? Would I still need to clone a MAC address anyway regardless of what was said above?

And on a related note, would this configuration on the router allow me to share files between my two computers (Apologies again if this is really going off topic.)?

SMHarman
02-12-2004, 11:05
Are you using a Stand Alone Cable Modem (SACM from now on) or Set Top Box (STB) for your access to broadband.

If the SACM you dont need to worry about MAC Cloning at all. Just switch it all off plug in the ethernet cables and switch it all back on. Should work out of the box.

Stuart
02-12-2004, 11:21
Here's where I'm confused. Would it be necessary to clone the MAC address of my PC? The broadband connection is normally directly plugged into my Apple Mac and it works fine. If I want to connect my PC laptop to the net (I'm using it to post this message now), all I have to do is disconnect the cable modem from the Apple Mac, reboot the cable modem and plug it into my PC. Basically, both have different MAC addresses, yet work when the modem is rebooted.No, when I said "PC" in the above post, I was actually referring to either the PC or the Mac. Basically, you clone the MAC (Media Access Control) address of ANY device you normally use to access the internet.

Now, theoretically this technique should work when switching the connection over to the PS2, so why is it that the PS2 seemingly cannot connect to the registration service on "Central Station"? Would I still need to clone a MAC address anyway regardless of what was said above?
I have to admit, I haven't use the PS2 online, so can't really help.

And on a related note, would this configuration on the router allow me to share files between my two computers (Apologies again if this is really going off topic.)?
This section could get long so you may need a cup of tea...

Basically you need to set up File sharing on either the PC or the Mac (or both). Note, even if file sharing isn't set up on the Mac or PC, you can still access shared files on the machine it is enabled on.

Setting up file sharing on the Mac.

These instructions assume you are using OSX 10.3 (Panther) on your Mac as that's what I have on mine.

Go to "System Preferences".
Click on "Sharing"
Tick "Windows File Sharing"
To share a file, you copy it either to the "Public" folder in your Home Area, or the "Shared" folder in the "users" folder on the hard drive
Setting up file sharing on the PC

These instructions assume you are using Windows XP Pro on your PC as that's what I have on mine.

Run the Network Setup Wizard (Control Panel, Network Setup Wizard)
Click "Next" twice
Select "This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway
Fill out your computer description and name. The name is what you'll use to access the computer over the network.
Now, you'll be asked for the Workgroup name. The default is usually "MSHOME" or "Workgroup", but you can use anything.
On the "File and printer sharing" page, click "Turn on file sharing"
Now, you can right click on a folder, select "Sharing" to share it.

I will be posting instructions on Accessing them as soon as I can get the Mac back on the network...

dchhui
02-12-2004, 11:49
No, when I said "PC" in the above post, I was actually referring to either the PC or the Mac. Basically, you clone the MAC (Media Access Control) address of ANY device you normally use to access the internet.
Yeah, I understand that. However I meant to ask is this necessary as:

I use two computers to access the net, both have different MAC addresses and I normally swap between the two.
Pervious posts in this forum seem to imply it is "Plug-and-Play"

Fair enough. This has confused a fellow gamer and he is trying to investigate this himself

Thanks for the help once more.

Chris
02-12-2004, 11:52
I can confirm that if you are accessing NTL broadband with a stand-alone cable modem, you do not need to do any MAC cloning. I have had two diferent computers (one PC and one Mac) attached to my modem without bother. You just have to power off/on the modem so that it registers the MAC address of the different computer when you attach it.

dchhui
02-12-2004, 13:31
I can confirm that if you are accessing NTL broadband with a stand-alone cable modem, you do not need to do any MAC cloning. I have had two diferent computers (one PC and one Mac) attached to my modem without bother. You just have to power off/on the modem so that it registers the MAC address of the different computer when you attach it.

This is the confusing thing. I powered off the modem and then tried to connect it to the PS2 directly and yet it doesn't work. It works with my laptop PC and my Apple Mac. I was told by an NTL operator that I need to subscribe to the console service for 2 quid extra. I want to know why this is. What does the PS2 do that is so different? And in fact will a Router make the difference or will I have to be ripped off even if I connect my PS2 through a Router?

Neil
02-12-2004, 13:44
This is the confusing thing. I powered off the modem and then tried to connect it to the PS2 directly and yet it doesn't work. It works with my laptop PC and my Apple Mac. I was told by an NTL operator that I need to subscribe to the console service for 2 quid extra. I want to know why this is. What does the PS2 do that is so different? And in fact will a Router make the difference or will I have to be ripped off even if I connect my PS2 through a Router?

1) Power your modem PCs/MACs off.

2) Get a router.

3) Connect the cable modem to the 'WAN' port on the router.

4) Plug the PS2 & the other PCs/MACs into the 'LAN' ports of the router.

5) Power everything up. :)

Caspar
02-12-2004, 14:00
Reading this thread I'd like to clear the :notopic: topic up!

I think what Incog was saying...that because her question is off-topic she apologised beforehand!...and then asks if your avatar was done by-self...

wtf , sorry miss :( :D :D :DShe was not saying your post was offtopic! :)

Apologies. I was not aware that topic posting rules were as strict as that. I guess I should've known better, being the moderator of a message board myself. And yes, the avatar is my own work. Thank you for your comments.And she wasn't saying your thread is off topic!!!

/sigh, all good here again! :)

Note to Incog...stop posting :notopic: posts! ;) :D :p:

Chris
02-12-2004, 15:39
It may be that the NTL network is capable of detecting that you are attaching a PS2 to the network and is blocking it, because they know you have not subscribed to the service.

But when you connect equipment behind a router, the NTL network just 'sees' the router, and does not see what is connected behind the router. You can connect a PC, a Mac, an Xbox, a PS2 and even an intelligent fridge to the router and NTL will not know.

So if you want to connect a console to NTL broadband without subscribing to the totally unnecessary and spurious console service product they have been trying to push on you, put a router into your setup.

Neil
02-12-2004, 16:06
It may be that the NTL network is capable of detecting that you are attaching a PS2 to the network and is blocking it, because they know you have not subscribed to the service.

But when you connect equipment behind a router, the NTL network just 'sees' the router, and does not see what is connected behind the router. You can connect a PC, a Mac, an Xbox, a PS2 and even an intelligent fridge to the router and NTL will not know.

So if you want to connect a console to NTL broadband without subscribing to the totally unnecessary and spurious console service product they have been trying to push on you, put a router into your setup.

I don't think they can detect the PS2 per se. more that it's a foreign MAC address? :shrug:

Either way, the router is the way to go.

Chris
02-12-2004, 16:08
I don't think they can detect the PS2 per se. more that it's a foreign MAC address? :shrug:

Either way, the router is the way to go.
I assumed it would be something to do with the MAC address, but how would they know? Are there 'ranges' of MAC addresses given to certain manufacturers or equipment types?

Certainly, NTL doesn't bar you from attaching a different computer to your SACM than the one you originally registered with.

Neil
02-12-2004, 16:11
I assumed it would be something to do with the MAC address, but how would they know? Are there 'ranges' of MAC addresses given to certain manufacturers or equipment types?

Certainly, NTL doesn't bar you from attaching a different computer to your SACM than the one you originally registered with.

Perhaps if it's not the 'registered' MAC address there will be an issue?

May be worth trying to plug a different PC or MAC in the same way as the PS2 & see if that has no connectivity?

Chris
02-12-2004, 16:17
Perhaps if it's not the 'registered' MAC address there will be an issue?

May be worth trying to plug a different PC or MAC in the same way as the PS2 & see if that has no connectivity?
It wouldn't harm him to check it out, but I have done that at home and there were no issues. I switched from my iMac, to my work lappy and back again without a hitch - just remember to power cycle the SACM.

dchhui
02-12-2004, 17:10

I suspect this is the case. As I mentioned earlier, I've asked a fellow online gamer to check it out with some others (Apparently he is in a beta testing group of some sort, possibly linked to Sony).

I now have one in my grasp and I will set it up shortly. I'll post back here with any further queries and info.

I have already done this for over 2 years, swapping between my main computer, an Apple PowerMac G4 and an HP Pavilion laptop. Both connect fine with no problems. It is the PS2 which doesn't seem able to connect. I think Chris T is probably correct since the phone call to NTL seems to confirm it.

Thanks once again.

Niles Crane
02-12-2004, 17:22
1) Power your modem PCs/MACs off.

2) Get a router.

3) Connect the cable modem to the 'WAN' port on the router.

4) Plug the PS2 & the other PCs/MACs into the 'LAN' ports of the router.

5) Power everything up. :)

I did this last week and was amazed at how quick and easy it was. It probably only took about 10 minutes.

Neil
02-12-2004, 17:22
I have already done this for over 2 years, swapping between my main computer, an Apple PowerMac G4 and an HP Pavilion laptop. Both connect fine with no problems. It is the PS2 which doesn't seem able to connect. I think Chris T is probably correct since the phone call to NTL seems to confirm it.

Thanks once again.

I don't think this is an ntl issue TBH, I think it's more of a PS2 issue.

I'll see if I can dig up some info I have on connecting the PS2 for you.

[Edit]-You are using a straight through ethernet cable to connect the PS2, & not a crossover aren't you?

dchhui
02-12-2004, 19:04
Well, the PS2 does not seem to be connecting even with a Router. I am using a Straight Through cable. The Mac is working fine off the router. PC is throwing up a few problems (Trouble setting up the wireless option). The weird thing is that the diagnostics are working OK. I really do not understand what is wrong. The PS2's serial number is not one of those "blacklisted" in the first few pages of the manual. It seems to "freeze" on the "Connecting to Central Station screen. Any ideas?

Neil
02-12-2004, 19:11
It seems to "freeze" on the "Connecting to Central Station screen. Any ideas?

Yes!!

Bear with me a short while......

Neil
02-12-2004, 19:12
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=20067

Any good?

[Edit]- http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/story.jhtml;jsessionid=HXITRVQVNX15UCQSBLWSELQ?sto ryId=300349_en_GB_GUIDES

[Edit 2!- http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/story.jhtml?storyId=300323_en_GB_SUPPORT

Maggy
02-12-2004, 19:37
Reading this thread I'd like to clear the :notopic: topic up!

I think what Incog was saying...that because her question is off-topic she apologised beforehand!...and then asks if your avatar was done by-self...

She was not saying your post was offtopic! :)

And she wasn't saying your thread is off topic!!!

/sigh, all good here again! :)

Note to Incog...stop posting :notopic: posts! ;) :D :p:

:tu:

dchhui
02-12-2004, 19:56
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=20067

Any good?

[Edit]- http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/story.jhtml;jsessionid=HXITRVQVNX15UCQSBLWSELQ?sto ryId=300349_en_GB_GUIDES

[Edit 2!- http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/story.jhtml?storyId=300323_en_GB_SUPPORT

Thanks. I've got it working now. I suspect it was the Router's built in firewall causing the problems. Either that or a dirty disc. It is connecting to Central Station fine now. I will attempt to experiment with the firewall settings to test my theory.

Neil
02-12-2004, 20:29
Thanks. I've got it working now. I suspect it was the Router's built in firewall causing the problems. Either that or a dirty disc. It is connecting to Central Station fine now. I will attempt to experiment with the firewall settings to test my theory.

Yay!! :hyper:

dchhui
03-12-2004, 17:41
No, when I said "PC" in the above post, I was actually referring to either the PC or the Mac. Basically, you clone the MAC (Media Access Control) address of ANY device you normally use to access the internet.

This section could get long so you may need a cup of tea...

Basically you need to set up File sharing on either the PC or the Mac (or both). Note, even if file sharing isn't set up on the Mac or PC, you can still access shared files on the machine it is enabled on.

Setting up file sharing on the Mac.

These instructions assume you are using OSX 10.3 (Panther) on your Mac as that's what I have on mine.

Go to "System Preferences".
Click on "Sharing"
Tick "Windows File Sharing"
To share a file, you copy it either to the "Public" folder in your Home Area, or the "Shared" folder in the "users" folder on the hard drive
Setting up file sharing on the PC

These instructions assume you are using Windows XP Pro on your PC as that's what I have on mine.

Run the Network Setup Wizard (Control Panel, Network Setup Wizard)
Click "Next" twice
Select "This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway
Fill out your computer description and name. The name is what you'll use to access the computer over the network.
Now, you'll be asked for the Workgroup name. The default is usually "MSHOME" or "Workgroup", but you can use anything.
On the "File and printer sharing" page, click "Turn on file sharing"
Now, you can right click on a folder, select "Sharing" to share it.

I will be posting instructions on Accessing them as soon as I can get the Mac back on the network...

Oh, by the way. Thanks for that advice. Once I'm sure things are running smoothly with the router I'll give this advice a go.

dchhui
18-12-2004, 19:31
Right, I noticed that the above advice did not work. However things did work when I selected the option marked "This computer connects to the internet through a hub" or words to that effect. Also my ultra paranoid firewall on the Mac had to be switched off (Two run on the Mac, the built in Mac OS X one and one I bought from Intego). It went beserk thinking that the PC was doing a DoS attack on the Mac. A bit of overreacting on the firewalls part methinks.

Also, I think I've pined the intial Central Station connection problem to a bug on the Network Adapter's start-up disc, as opposed to a network problem.

Chris
20-12-2004, 11:37
Right, I noticed that the above advice did not work. However things did work when I selected the option marked "This computer connects to the internet through a hub" or words to that effect. Also my ultra paranoid firewall on the Mac had to be switched off (Two run on the Mac, the built in Mac OS X one and one I bought from Intego). It went beserk thinking that the PC was doing a DoS attack on the Mac. A bit of overreacting on the firewalls part methinks.

Also, I think I've pined the intial Central Station connection problem to a bug on the Network Adapter's start-up disc, as opposed to a network problem.
You shouldn't run two software firewalls simultaneously on your Mac. It's asking for trouble. In fact, I'm surprised the Mac allowed you to do it; I run Norton firewall on mt iMac (OSX.2.8) and the built-in firewall detects this and cannot be started (the relevant tab under System Prefs > Network is greyed out, with a message that a third-party firewall is running and must be disabled first). How did you get both of them to run together?

dchhui
20-12-2004, 14:29
You shouldn't run two software firewalls simultaneously on your Mac. It's asking for trouble. In fact, I'm surprised the Mac allowed you to do it; I run Norton firewall on mt iMac (OSX.2.8) and the built-in firewall detects this and cannot be started (the relevant tab under System Prefs > Network is greyed out, with a message that a third-party firewall is running and must be disabled first). How did you get both of them to run together?

I just do. It could be something to do with the fact that I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.7 and that the third party firewall is "NetBarrier" from Intego. It runs fine and often NetBarrier picks up more things than the built-in one it seems. It doesn't gray out the button and it runs fine anyway.

Anyway, not meaning to be rude, but the above post doesn't answer any of my previous questions regarding the nework setup wizzard.

Also while I'm here I might as well ask how do I share other folders on other drives (Or even other folders on the same boot-up device)? I can access files on my own home folder but I need access to some other files located on a second hard drive, in my Mac, from my PC and I can't seem to find a way of doing it. Any help?

Chris
20-12-2004, 15:13
Anyway, not meaning to be rude,
Well you were. ;)

but the above post doesn't answer any of my previous questions regarding the nework setup wizzard.
Well, pardon me for trying to help you out. Given that you noticed your setup behaves differently depending on your firewall settings, I'd be a little less quick to discount any advice that doesn't stick to your own, rather narrow, line of questioning, if I were you. :)

dchhui
20-12-2004, 16:18
Well you were. ;)

My apologies then. :)

Well, pardon me for trying to help you out. Given that you noticed your setup behaves differently depending on your firewall settings, I'd be a little less quick to discount any advice that doesn't stick to your own, rather narrow, line of questioning, if I were you. :)

I'm not trying to discount any other advice. I was just hoping that perhaps someone might explain what gives on the PC?

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with this set up. In fact it has run rather happily like this for a while. The only problem I've had with it is when it starts thinking that a port scan attack was being performed by the PC when I try to access files on it (Although this is due to it being on ultra paranoid settings as a default). Turning down the port scan sensitivity helps to avoid it panicking over the slightest movement.