PDA

View Full Version : Capping question

Paulie
30-11-2004, 15:39
Hey peeps.
Being totally ignorant on this capping thing :dunce:, and with the proposed new speeds comming out soon. Is there a way to find out how you would fair. Awkward question to ask without the techy words. I`m now on 300kb, so if i was to go to 1mb with the cap. Is there a way to figure out from what i use/download etc now weather i would continually burst the 5gb cap.

Paul K
30-11-2004, 15:41
You can get bandwodth monitors that give you an up to date figure of what data you have moved in both directions.
I'll go look but no doubt someone will be along with a link in a minute ;)

andygrif
30-11-2004, 15:42
Hi Paulie, of course moving to the new higher speeds will mean that you will hit your 'cap' sooner than if you were on a dial-up say.

Saying that, if you're only planning to use the internet normally (whatever that might be) then you really don't need to worry. Very few people have been targeted as perpetrators of excessive bandwidth use and if you're not planning on downloading gig's of stuff every day and every night then I think you'll be fine.

Paul K
30-11-2004, 15:46
Try this
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8448&page=1&highlight=bandwidth+monitor
and then divide the time it takes to hit the cap by the amount you are increasing your current sped by for a rough estimate. (Roughly 1/3 of the time it would take on your current connection, very roughly ;) lol)

erik99
30-11-2004, 15:51
whatever using the internet 'normally' is...

i use DUMeter- daily, weekly, monthly stats but will give the app Paul posted about a try

if you want to control the amount being used try netlimiter.

both on trial

Neil
30-11-2004, 15:54
whatever using the internet 'normally' is...

i use DUMeter- daily, weekly, monthly stats but will give the app Paul posted about a try

if you want to control the amount being used try netlimiter.

both on trial

If you already have DU Meter, you don't need anything else.

Paulie
30-11-2004, 16:30
Thanks once again guys.....

Tricky
30-11-2004, 18:49
Remember if you have a router and more than one machine though you need DUMeter on each and then the total of all or a way to read SNMP traffic using PRTG, MRTG or similar

Paulie
30-11-2004, 19:15
Damn this is all getting a bit techy for me lol. Basically, i come here and visit a couple of other forums, play chess and frequent ebay. I don`t download music or video. So will i (in your opinion) be ok with a 5gb cap?

rdhw
30-11-2004, 19:55
Basically, i come here and visit a couple of other forums, play chess and frequent ebay. I don`t download music or video. So will i (in your opinion) be ok with a 5gb cap?You won't come within ten miles of your cap: it's not even worth metering your usage.

Paulie
30-11-2004, 22:10
You won't come within ten miles of your cap: it's not even worth metering your usage.
Now that`s what i wanted to hear :D Thank you sir.

erik99
30-11-2004, 23:21
If you already have DU Meter, you don't need anything else.

except DUMeter cant do what netlimiter does.

i mentioned netlimiter because it can throttle down & upload transfer rates. this isnt important in Paulies case though (as a later post clarified)