PDA

View Full Version : Ikaruga

Boom
22-08-2003, 13:46
Finally playing this game. Unbelievable that I'm enjoying this game so much yet its only an arcade game. Absolute blast. :D

First time I physically turned my plasma to picture/portrait-style for a game! :D

ic14
22-08-2003, 13:48
Lucky you!! Which i could play it how its meant to be played!

How far are you then?:D

preacher
28-08-2003, 18:53
Have been eyeing this game for a while....is it REALLY that good??
I love games like R-Type and Salamander....is it as good as those??

Boom
04-09-2003, 10:28
Don't know those games, but this game is so well done. Simple concept that works extremely well. But it is very hard! :D

Originally posted by preacher
Have been eyeing this game for a while....is it REALLY that good??
I love games like R-Type and Salamander....is it as good as those??

TigaSefi
04-09-2003, 12:38
This game is so hard it unbelievable

preacher
04-09-2003, 15:34
Originally posted by Boom
Don't know those games, but this game is so well done. Simple concept that works extremely well. But it is very hard! :D

you din't know R-TYPE????

May I ask how old you are???

Boom
04-09-2003, 16:48
Most likely older than you, but haven't been a big console user till recently.

Originally posted by preacher
you din't know R-TYPE????

May I ask how old you are???

preacher
05-09-2003, 12:41
Lol...fair nuff........:)

I is 27 so let me know if you are older coz I would liuke to feel young again :(

R-TYPE is the definitive Sideway scroller game, one of the first of it's time and was on arcade, atari st, amiga, commodore 64, megadrive, ps1 and lynx....so has been round for quite a while!

Salamander (or Gladius as it is also known) is more well known via the Arcade and Japan as it is HUUUUUGE over there and even spawned an Anime series called Salamander (which is a very good series :) )

But heck...Ikaruga is well hard and fun and I can't even get off level 1 yet without using a continue :eek:

Boom
05-09-2003, 16:29
Yup, I'm 31.

I can get through the first 2 levels without a continue, but all h3ll breaks lose after that. :D

preacher
05-09-2003, 17:41
Originally posted by Boom
Yup, I'm 31.

I can get through the first 2 levels without a continue, but all h3ll breaks lose after that. :D

YAY....I'm young :D

Have only played it for 30 mins or so and so will try to get a few hours in tonight when finally I get home from work :(

preacher
06-09-2003, 16:13
Originally posted by morris
you forgot the spectrum.

Eek......so I did!!
Sorry Mr Spectrum :(

dr wadd
06-09-2003, 17:15
Like many 2D shoot-em-ups it shares the gameplay concept of forcing you to memorise lots of attack patterns. However, where R-Type tended to focus on you having to memorise the attack patterns in order to stay alive, Ikaruga puts the shift more towards getting a high score with the chain combos.

preacher
06-09-2003, 17:38
Originally posted by dr wadd
Like many 2D shoot-em-ups it shares the gameplay concept of forcing you to memorise lots of attack patterns. However, where R-Type tended to focus on you having to memorise the attack patterns in order to stay alive, Ikaruga puts the shift more towards getting a high score with the chain combos.

True in one respect but depends on the person...!

My bro & I, when we were kids, used to play R-Type 2 player and compete for points so it really does depend on the person!

Besides, the power up laser in R-Type was damned kewl :)

Sensei Katana
07-09-2003, 11:49
R-Type was the GOD of all sideways shooters - I just loved the way you could add the huuuugest guns to a relatively small ship!

Charge the gun, find the enemy, let them eat plasmatic death... :D

preacher
07-09-2003, 16:21
Originally posted by Sensei Katana
R-Type was the GOD of all sideways shooters - I just loved the way you could add the huuuugest guns to a relatively small ship!

Charge the gun, find the enemy, let them eat plasmatic death... :D

YIPPEE!! Another fan!
They seriously need to release a "Shooter Compilation" with (for instance):

R-Type
Salamander
X-Out
Dragonspirit
Gynoug
Forgotten Worlds
Silkworm
Fort Apolcolypse

And maybe some of the others I have no-doubt forgotten :)

I would soooooo buy that pack :D