PDA

View Full Version : AdAware SE Update

Church Mouse
27-11-2004, 21:41
Hello,

I have AdAware SE with file ref SE1R19. Windows XP Pro

I saw on a website that there is a new reference file SE1R20 released on 25-11-04.

When I try to update, I am informed that there are no updates available.

I have tried to manually download and Winzip informs me that the new defs file has been installed in the Lavasoft AdAware SE File, but I cannot find it and AdAware still shows SE1R19 as the latest update.

I saw on another website that this can occur if the ISP does a cache of files or web pages.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or is it a problem with my pc.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards

Church Mouse

Mal
27-11-2004, 21:44
I have tried to manually download and Winzip informs me that the new defs file has been installed in the Lavasoft AdAware SE File, but I cannot find it and AdAware still shows SE1R19 as the latest update.
When you say that you manually download the defs, you extracted the file and then put the def file into the lavasoft/adaware folder in c:\program files? Because when I've had problems with the update, that has worked for me.

Paul
27-11-2004, 22:09
I was on SE1R16 and just updated - it updated me to SE1R19. Where does it say SE1R20is available ?

Mal
27-11-2004, 22:11
I was on SE1R16 and just updated - it updated me to SE1R19. Where does it say SE1R20is available ?
On the website (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/). Every now and again, the update won't work with me and I have to update manually. I just tried it with SE1R20 and I had to do it manually.

When you tried to update, did it say that there was an update ready for download, but when it finished it stayed at the previous update?

Church Mouse
27-11-2004, 22:13
Hello Paul,

http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=18527

Regards

Church Mouse

homealone
27-11-2004, 22:15
When you say that you manually download the defs, you extracted the file and then put the def file into the lavasoft/adaware folder in c:\program files? Because when I've had problems with the update, that has worked for me.

exactly right, my updates had got stuck at 14.11.04 - now 25.11.04 by doing the above ......

Mal
27-11-2004, 22:15
Well Churchmouse, I've just manually updated it with no problems.

Church Mouse
27-11-2004, 22:18

Hi Mal,

Yes, I did do as you say but still no joy.

I have downloaded manually, with previous updates, successfully.

AdAware tells me that SE1R19 is the latest update available.

Church Mouse

Mal
27-11-2004, 22:23
Hi Mal,

Church Mouse
This may sound stupid, but when you extracted the file, did you check to see what the modified date was, before you put the def file into the adaware folder? Just that a few times, (and it may be just me going mad) even though the link said it was for the new date, the file downloaded was the previous version. I downloaded it again and it was okay. I swear that happend on a few occasions. :shrug:

Church Mouse
27-11-2004, 22:24
Hello again,

I have just managed to successfully install SE1R20, manually.

Thanks to all replies.

Church Mouse

homealone
27-11-2004, 22:28
Hi Mal,

Church Mouse

:confused:

try installing http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.jones73/upload/defs.ref

to the adaware folder - make sure it is the new PE edition, I just noticed I had the old folder installed ;)

<edit> and then I notice the previous post :dozey:

- nice one 'Church Mouse' - glad you got it sorted :)

Mal
27-11-2004, 22:30
:confused:

try installing http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.jones73/upload/defs.ref

to the adaware folder - make sure it is the new PE edition, I just noticed I had the old folder installed ;)
They've done it now Gaz... :)

Paul
27-11-2004, 22:36
The update check loads this file ;

http://download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net/public/wu.dat

Via my default proxy, this is showing R19 , via a non ntl proxy it is showing R20. So it looks like a caching problem.

homealone
27-11-2004, 22:38
They've done it now Gaz... :)

thanks Mal - I edited my post, it's strange that the upgrade function doesn't work properly, otherwise? :)

Mal
27-11-2004, 22:44
The update check loads this file ;

http://download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net/public/wu.dat

Via my default proxy, this is showing R19 , via a non ntl proxy it is showing R20. So it looks like a caching problem.
That check said that I was using Adaware %1 and that I should get the newer 1.05. :confused: Guess which version I'm using...

Church Mouse
27-11-2004, 22:49
So it looks as though it is a minor problem with AdAware.

Church Mouse

Paul
27-11-2004, 22:50
That check said that I was using Adaware %1 and that I should get the newer 1.05. :confused: Guess which version I'm using...It's not a check as such, it's a text file that it downloads - that message would only be shown by adaware if you had an older version.

homealone
27-11-2004, 22:59
So it looks as though it is a minor problem with AdAware.

Church Mouse

true - best to check the site, rather than the 'auto' update :angel:

Church Mouse
27-11-2004, 23:01
Thanks to everyone for help, anyway.

Church Mouse

homealone
27-11-2004, 23:05
Thanks to everyone for help, anyway.

Church Mouse

no problem :)

allanprg
28-11-2004, 04:16
Reading this about the adaware se edition. I checked my se edition. Sure enough it showed the r19.
When I clicked on update, no update. Went into the website and the latest version was r20.
Manually downloaded zip folder and extracted the file and put in se folder. Deleted the old file and when I checked the se edition again, great It worked. From now on I'm going to check the website to see what definition file is the latest. Before I run an update.
Lucky I read this so thanks to you all for the info. :) :cool:

AndrewJ
28-11-2004, 10:55
Mine has just updated to r20 a few hours ago. No problems here but it was a clean install as I formatted this system a few days ago.

cookie_365
28-11-2004, 16:42
Mine updated a day or two ago - might be worth reinstalling if it doesn't pick up the next one ?

budwieser
29-11-2004, 19:47
Just updated mine through the auto update feature and it worked a treat!:)

Earl1983
28-11-2007, 12:47
That check said that I was using Adaware %1 and that I should get the newer 1.05. :confused: Guess which version I'm using...
Mod edit (Gavin): Unofficial link removed. Please only post links to official sites and mirrors. Thank you.

SnoopZ
28-11-2007, 14:24
[removed]

You do realise this thread is 3 years old? :D

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 14:52
I'm not sure I'd download it from that site anyway, I'd stick with the official site - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php you never know what nasties you might get from strange sites