PDA

View Full Version : Ntl queries

WingDings
27-11-2004, 10:39
hi, i am going to order a b/band pakage from ntl. they have offered me the 750 service for 1) first 3 months half price and rest normal or
2) £20 for the 12 months

i am already a customer with ntl, i have thier dialup, tv and phone services, now the website syas these offers are to new customers only, is the new customers to broadband? or new customers to ntl in general? also when teh technician coems to install it, does he/she install it for you i.e as in installs on your p.c as well, and if so does he/she do all the drilling of holes where they need be (as my p.c is up stairs(, and finally do they ask you whether or not you want it it insatlled via usb or ethernet? that is if they do install it on your p.c.

sorry for the long confusing thread but if some one could help me with my quiries i would be very greatful thxs :)

Russ
27-11-2004, 10:45
Welcome to the site!

The offer should be for new bb customers which is what you will be, but one of the ntl people here will confirm that for you.

The installer doesn't put it on your pc for you, that's for you to do, it's really quite simple though. Yes they'll drill all the holes (within reason) and they don't ask whether you want USB or Ethernet as both sets of cables are included and all drivers are on the CD which comes with all the gubbins too.

JohnHorb
27-11-2004, 10:52
1) AFIK the offers apply to new BROADBAND customers.
2) Depends whether the BB is being provided via your existing STB (Set top box), or a new SACM (stand alone cable modem). If the former, I suspect they will just enable the service and it will be up to you to connect from the STB to your PC. If its a SACM, I suspect the most they would do is clip the cable on the outside wall and drill directly into the room.
3) I believe the connection from the STB or SACM to your PC and software installation/setup is your responsibilty, but you'll finf plenty of helpful advice on this forum.

JohnHorb
27-11-2004, 10:56
Yes they'll drill all the holes (within reason)
However, it may depend on how you want the cable routed. A colleague of mine has just had BB installed. The installer wanted to clip the cable round the outside wall and drill directly into the room. My colleague wanted the cable routing through the house. In the event, the installer left sufficient cable, my colleague routed it internally, then the installer returned and made off the end.

paulyoung666
27-11-2004, 11:04
from a money point of view , £20 for 12 months is a slightly better offer , :welcome: to the site and i hope you enjoy your stay here :D :D :D

p.s. go for an ethernet connection ;)

JohnHorb
27-11-2004, 11:10
p.s. go for an ethernet connection ;):tu:

WingDings
27-11-2004, 11:16
ah thxs for all the info it is a great help, but i have a second challenge for you if you don't mind answering, if he clips it all the way round or what ever he does and then driils the hole, will i lose any speed because of the extra length it has to travel?and i was given this number 0800 052 0773, when i ring it gives three options new customer, old but want to add, and i forgot what the other one was but it doesn't matter, now which one do i select? is it the old and add? so that i can cancel my dial up at the same time? sorry for sounding like a bit of a fool asking these questions but well i am confused and as i said the infromation on the first lot of questions has cleard the fog as so to speak :disturbd: :)

JohnHorb
27-11-2004, 11:19
You shouldn't lose any speed, given the distance the signal has already travelled, but doubtless someone more knowledgable can confirm this.

paulyoung666
27-11-2004, 11:33
ah thxs for all the info it is a great help, but i have a second challenge for you if you don't mind answering, if he clips it all the way round or what ever he does and then driils the hole, will i lose any speed because of the extra length it has to travel?and i was given this number 0800 052 0773, when i ring it gives three options new customer, old but want to add, and i forgot what the other one was but it doesn't matter, now which one do i select? is it the old and add? so that i can cancel my dial up at the same time? sorry for sounding like a bit of a fool asking these questions but well i am confused and as i said the infromation on the first lot of questions has cleard the fog as so to speak :disturbd: :)

no speed loss because of an increase in distance , when it is installed the signal level will be checked and adjusted to suit , keep asking the questions it is the only way you will find the answers you need :)

WingDings
27-11-2004, 11:40
gdgd thxs on last thing now before i go order it :disturbd: , if i want the cable run through the outside of the house or inside but straight up into the attic and back down into my room? i guessing i have to drill all holes and put the cable through?, does that mean we have to do the cables before the technician can come and install the modem? or what ever he puts there :confused:

Raistlin
27-11-2004, 11:41
No need to cancel your dial-up before the installation.

When you install the BB it will take you through an online registration process, at this stage it will ask you if you are an existing customer.

When you tell it that you are an existing customer it will ask for some details from your dial-up account and ask you if you want to keep your existing email addresses. Respond appropriately to these questions and the installation routine will cancel your dial-up for you and transfer your email accounts across to your broadband account.

I'll echo the :welcome: from the other guys and repeat that if you have any questions at all you shouldn't be afraid to ask.

Remember: The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.

paulyoung666
27-11-2004, 11:46
gdgd thxs on last thing now before i go order it :disturbd: , if i want the cable run through the outside of the house or inside but straight up into the attic and back down into my room? i guessing i have to drill all holes and put the cable through?, does that mean we have to do the cables before the technician can come and install the modem? or what ever he puts there :confused:

plan your route to suit yourself , it will help and please the installer if you do some of the groundwork before he gets there , and dont forget the choccie biccies and tea/coffee , that will help the job as well ;) :D :D :D

WingDings
27-11-2004, 11:51
>>Remember: The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.

wsie words indeed, lol funnily enough i need to do some shopping today so i will go get the choccie biccies :) :P, ok wll i have the route planned, so i need to drill the appropriate holes l8r:), when i dial the number i get sent to an actual person not a prerecordedvoice for the registraion thing, or is that that what you were talking about and i haven't understood what you were saying? :confused:

JohnHorb
27-11-2004, 11:51
gdgd thxs on last thing now before i go order it :disturbd: , if i want the cable run through the outside of the house or inside but straight up into the attic and back down into my room? i guessing i have to drill all holes and put the cable through?, does that mean we have to do the cables before the technician can come and install the modem? or what ever he puts there :confused:I think you need to check this with NTL. It may depend on the installer. With my colleague, the installer wanted to clip round the outside, but my colleague wanted the cable routing up through the attic and back down. In the event, the installer left sufficient cable, my colleague routed it as required and the installer then returned to connect to the modem. I don't know whether this is standard practice, however. One of the NTL people who frequent this forum may be along to elaborate.

Raistlin
27-11-2004, 11:58
When the installer has finished routing cables and plugging the Cable Modem into them he will leave you with a whole load of account information and a CD.

Throw the CD in the bin!

Follow the instructions HERE (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jayone/index.htm) to set your account up.

You only need to phone NTL if you need to talk to them about anything, for example if you live alone and get lonely, or if there is a serious problem with your service. The actual activation of your BB account can usually be done online and any tech support type problems / questions that you get can normally be answered by somebody in here.

WingDings
27-11-2004, 12:02
i think i have read your post of hwo to insatll without teh cd but don't they give it to you for a reason? neway how will i knwo what type of modem they give me :confused:

JohnHorb
27-11-2004, 12:08
Throw the CD in the bin!

Bit harsh, but probably the best idea UNLESS you go for USB (not advised), in which case the required drivers are on the CD.

Raistlin
27-11-2004, 12:11
They give you the CD to make life a bit easier for you but you will usually find that you can manage without it.
AFAIK it contains things like browser upgrades and drivers but Windows can usually sort those things out for you.

As for the modem, the make and model is written on the box that it comes with. Mine is an NTL Home 200 but the instructions for activating your account that are at the link that I gave you should work with any type of Stand Alone Cable Modem (SACM) so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I found it useful to save the web pages detailing the setup instructions to my desktop before I started, that way I wasn't relying on having internet access to be able to access them - you can always delete them when you are finished. As you have dial-up access anyway if there are any problems you should still be able to get here using yor existing connection (or by borrowing a friend's) if anything goes wrong.

WingDings
27-11-2004, 12:12
ok well i hank all of you who have posted and helped me out, i have enough information to go and order it now knowing that i just about knwo what to do lol, thxs again, and i will post again if i have any quiries, i have a feeling i will be postign again abotu teh installing withotu the cd as i clicked on teh link and read it but only half made sense thxs again!!!!

Raistlin
27-11-2004, 12:14
Good point John, well made.

WingDings, John is right. If you choose to connect your CM through USB (rather than through your ethernet card if you have one) then you will need to use the CD to carry out the installlation and setup.

The biggest reason for binning the CD is that it installs all sorts of (usually junk) software on your machine that NTL say they need in order to trouble-shoot your connetion. If you want to, you can uninstall this software once the installation is complete.

I normally recommend that you use the Ethernet connection to connect to your SACM anyway but that's a matter of personal choice and, obviously, determined by the spec of your PC (ie. if you haven't got an Ethernet card then you obviously can't connect this way!).

WingDings
27-11-2004, 12:15
i would also like to say sorry for mty spelling lol

Raistlin
27-11-2004, 12:16
ok well i hank all of you who have posted and helped me out, i have enough information to go and order it now knowing that i just about knwo what to do lol, thxs again, and i will post again if i have any quiries, i have a feeling i will be postign again abotu teh installing withotu the cd as i clicked on teh link and read it but only half made sense thxs again!!!!
Yep, get on that phone and place your order.

Don't worry about the instructions not making a lot of sense initially, when you've actually got the modem connected to your pc and you are following the steps they will make a lot more sense.

The trick is to take things one step at a time, don't panic if you get stuck, and just post back here if you get any more problems or if you are concerned about anything at all.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Raistlin
27-11-2004, 12:17
i would also like to say sorry for mty spelling lol
Apologeee aksepted. :rolleyes:

Mi spellling is wurse so eye woodunt wury if eye wuz yew :p:

WingDings
27-11-2004, 12:20
i would also like to say sorry for my spelling lol

WingDings
29-11-2004, 21:07
just to tell all you who took an interest in my post, i have now ordered my 750 kbps service, but i had to do it as anexisting customer, nto a new one, they said i hadto be a completely new customer :9 ah well the ystill offered my it for the same price, neway the technician is coming on friday (3rd dec) to install it, i will then have a look at installign it without the cd, i hope it is quite easy other wise teh cd comes to mind lol

Wingdings:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

paulyoung666
29-11-2004, 21:48
just to tell all you who took an interest in my post, i have now ordered my 750 kbps service, but i had to do it as anexisting customer, nto a new one, they said i hadto be a completely new customer :9 ah well the ystill offered my it for the same price, neway the technician is coming on friday (3rd dec) to install it, i will then have a look at installign it without the cd, i hope it is quite easy other wise teh cd comes to mind lol

Wingdings:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

if not mentioned previously then this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=13) should help you no end :tu: :)

WingDings
02-12-2004, 10:53
thxs, i have seen it mentioned before, and i will try it on sunday when i get back and can actually insatll my modem, but a question, your instructions say it is for a top box set, btu yet the reisgration part has box types as the same registration page,i have read some where that there are 2 different types :confused: could you clarify this for me please :)