PDA

View Full Version : IP Number Lease Expiry?

gregevans
26-11-2004, 16:01
Hi all.
Useful site! I have searched for postings on a similar subject but found nothing (based on the searches I tried) to match this prob.

My setup:
600K (is it 750K now) NTL Broadband package
Ethernet to Netgear Wireless Router/Firewall (WGT624 108Mbps) [this replaced an Intel Pro 11Mbps Access Point/Router].

The Netgear router gets its IP settings via DHCP and it runs DHCP to issue settings on the LAN.

Machine 1: Dell Inspiron 9100, Win XP Pro (firewall not enabled), built in 54Mps Wireless NIC, DHCP
Machine 2: Asus Terminator AMD Athlon 2000XP, Win XP Pro (firewall not enabled), Netgear 108Mbps PCI Card, DHCP

Problem: my home wireless network is fine, stuff between the two machines via the Wireless Router. However connection to the web is intermittent. I think I have located the problem but wanted to establish why it is occuring.

From the Router's config pages - the connection status page tells me the IP settings issued to the Router by NTL - it also states the lease time for the IP number - often it states a total lease period of only 30 minutes!.
Whenever I have a problem with the web connection I find that the lease for the IP number has expired, but it doesnt seem to issue a new lease automatically.

Is this problem normal? If so - why are the lease times so short - I just cant use the connection meaningfully if I have to manually release and renew the IP # every 30 mins - only to get issued the same IP #.

I now think the Intel router encountered the same problem (I got rid of it because I thought it was faulty - now I'm thinking it was fine).

Anybody else experience this problem? Is this NTLs way of throttling bandwidth?
Many thanks in advance
Greg

paulyoung666
26-11-2004, 16:25
hi and :welcome: to the site , tbh i am not sure , i have checked mine , straight connection modem to pc and it is nearly 48 hours :shrug: , well at least i have bumped your thread for you :D :D :D

gregevans
26-11-2004, 16:30
hi and :welcome: to the site , tbh i am not sure , i have checked mine , straight connection modem to pc and it is nearly 48 hours :shrug: , well at least i have bumped your thread for you :D :D :DThread bumping always welcomed ;). I've just got a feeling someone at NTL has flagged my account to have a short IP lease. I'm not sure whether its because of my bandwidth usage - I dont really transfer that much data (I dont do much music or big file downloading), but there is always traffic of one kind or another running in the background as I upload/download work related software changes.
Thanks Pauly

newlyn70
26-11-2004, 19:19
have you tried conecting direct to your pc and not using your router, if it still happens it will be you bb conex so ring bb support if it semms to be ok and does not time out it is somthing to do with your router and nothing to do with ntl.:confused:

gregevans
26-11-2004, 20:43
Well, as far as I understand things - essentially the router is simply an IP client as far as NTL's DHCP is concerned so shouldnt really behave any differently that a PC. Perhaps Win XP's TCPIP would renew the lease automatically, but the lease duration is surely an NTL thing.
The weird thing is that when I refreshed the IP lease this afternoon the issue period is now 2 days, yet last night a 2 hour lease was replaced (when I renewed) with a 30 minute lease.
Btw - I forgot to mention I'm in Swindon (Wilts.)

BBKing
26-11-2004, 20:47
I've just got a feeling someone at NTL has flagged my account to have a short IP lease

Not possible - the lease time is done per type of service, not per customer, AFAIK.

DHCP should renew itself at the half-way stage of the lease - often you find on ntl that the first lease is 1 hour, it will re-lease at 30 minutes and then get between 2 days and 7 days depending on area.

newlyn70
26-11-2004, 21:20
have you tried conecting direct to your pc and not using your router, if it still happens it will be you bb conex so ring bb support if it semms to be ok and does not time out it is somthing to do with your router and nothing to do with ntl.:confused:
have you tried above, this is all bb support will get you to do, you have to rule things out to fault find thus fix your fault.

maverick
27-11-2004, 07:26
If you are only getting short lease times for yor IP then your router firewall is rejecting DHCP requests asking if you require to keep your current ip address.
Connect a PC direct to the modem to see if the same happens.

JohnHorb
27-11-2004, 08:53
If you are only getting short lease times for yor IP then your router firewall is rejecting DHCP requests asking if you require to keep your current ip address.
I thought it was up to the client (in this case the router) to request renewal after 50% of the lease has expired? In any case I suspect BBK has provided the answer.