PDA

View Full Version : Should i be worried?

ic14
21-08-2003, 23:15
In zonealarm i keep seeing a packet going from my pc to my router.

Should i be worried about it??

Could this cause any trouble on my pc?

(Sometimes the pc has trouble with dns)

Tristan
22-08-2003, 00:04
Wouldn't it be more worrying if your PC wasn't talking to your router?

I'm not an expert on these things (wait for RDHW if you want one ;)), but as I understand it your PC will send broadcast messages to all other computers on the network every so often, just to see who's out there (for Windows file sharing, and so on).

It's perfectly normal behavior, and nothing to worry about.

As for DNS, what server does the PC have as DNS servers? If it's the address of your router (probably 192.168.0.1), then try changing them to:

These are NTL's DNS servers, and will then bypass the router for DNS requests.

ic14
22-08-2003, 00:06
So i should add the router to my zonealarm safe list??

Because as i said im having trouble with dns on this pc and the packet is listed in zonealarm as dns
-EDIT-
Didnt notice your edit

Tristan
22-08-2003, 00:10
Originally posted by ic14
So i should add the router to my zonealarm safe list??

Because as i said im having trouble with dns on this pc and the packet is listed in zonealarm as dns

'fraid I don't know much about Zone Alarm, but I don't run any firewall behind my router, and (touch wood) I haven't been hacked yet. I can't see why you would need to filter internal network traffic though...

ic14
22-08-2003, 00:11
Originally posted by Tristan
'fraid I don't know much about Zone Alarm, but I don't run any firewall behind my router, and (touch wood) I haven't been hacked yet. I can't see why you would need to filter internal network traffic though...

I found an easier sloution ( than what i said earlier), i have turned zonealarm off and (touch wood) the dns issue is solved!

Thanks for the help:)