PDA

View Full Version : Just a Broadband registration problem?

Mike012321
26-11-2004, 07:54
I'm currently using an NTL dial-up service and attempted to install NTL broadband on the morning of 24th Nov 2004.

Intially I tried used the broadband installer CD but after the account info was entered a message came up saying an "internal error" had occurred.I had to exit the install process.

I phoned NTL technical assistance who suggested using their web-page https://autoreg.autoregister.net (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/) to try to complete the installaton.

This web-page could only be displayed via the dial-up service (i.e. not via broadband).When entering the broadband registration details a page with the following text appeared:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unable to identify a cable modem attached to your computer. This may be because:

You are not connected to the internet using your cable modem
You are using a proxy server to connect to this site. If this is the case, please disable the proxy server and retry. For

more information on how to disable your proxy server, please contact customer support on 0845 650 0121. If you are sure that

you are using a cable modem, please reboot your computer and cable modem and try again. If you need further help, please

contact our customer support (0845 650 0121).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looking at NTL's server status page,there seems to be an ongoing nationwide broadband registration issue.Might that account for the above message?

However,shouldn't I be able to at least display the NTL registration web-page at the moment using the broadband connection,even if I can't register successfully?

Am using Windows XP.

Thanks for any help/advice etc.

Mike T

paulyoung666
26-11-2004, 09:22
hi and :welcome: to the site , there has been a lot of c.m. registration problems recently , how about a call to c.s. and ask if they can help you out :)

at the end of the day you shouldnt have to pay t.s. phone rates to get something working ;)

rdhw
26-11-2004, 09:39
I phoned NTL technical assistance who suggested using their web-page https://autoreg.autoregister.net (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/) to try to complete the installaton.

This web-page could only be displayed via the dial-up service (i.e. not via broadband).When entering the broadband registration details a page with the following text appeared:

Unable to identify a cable modem attached to your computer.Just to confirm: you cannot use the autoregister site from a dial-up line, it has to be used from the cable modem you are trying to register. Connection should be possible if your PC has obtained a public IP address, and does not have any web proxy configuration left over from a previous use.

Neil
26-11-2004, 09:46
Taken from ntl's Server Status Page....

ntl broadband customers attempting to register for the service will currently be unable to do so due to suspected database fault.

Our engineers are aware and are working towards a resolution as soon as possible.

This will also mean that customers attempting to change their account details such as email accounts or service level will be unable to do so. Our support centres will also have limited access to their systems while the problem is ongoing.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

mcfc2134
26-11-2004, 11:36
Thats why my mate probably can't register then! Good job I read that I was due to go round and have a look later!

Mike012321
26-11-2004, 15:07
Thanks for the replies.I phoned up c.s. and they put me through for free to a technician who seemed confident there was something wrong with the modem supplied.They're sending someone round tomorrow,so will hope for the best.

Mike

paulyoung666
26-11-2004, 15:38
Thanks for the replies.I phoned up c.s. and they put me through for free to a technician who seemed confident there was something wrong with the modem supplied.They're sending someone round tomorrow,so will hope for the best.

Mike

heres hoping :tu: :)

Mike012321
27-11-2004, 18:10
Just to say that an NTL engineer came today and has sorted out problem.He said the wrong connector had been used for the modem cable in box on side of house and that the connection in the cabinet in the road was incorrect.

He also said the chap who installed the modem should have known the installation was faulty because the 2 lights on the right side of modem were not on.He seemed more annoyed about it than I was! Anyway, at least the NTL engineer I spoke to on Friday understood the modem wasn't working properly and arranged a fast call-out.A big thank you to him and thanks for the advice and support. :tu:

cheers

Mike :)

Nidge
28-11-2004, 09:52
Just to say that an NTL engineer came today and has sorted out problem.He said the wrong connector had been used for the modem cable in box on side of house and that the connection in the cabinet in the road was incorrect.

He also said the chap who installed the modem should have known the installation was faulty because the 2 lights on the right side of modem were not on.He seemed more annoyed about it than I was! Anyway, at least the NTL engineer I spoke to on Friday understood the modem wasn't working properly and arranged a fast call-out.A big thank you to him and thanks for the advice and support. :tu:

cheers

Mike :)

Glad it was all sorted out for you, happy browsing :D :D :D

Mike012321
28-11-2004, 15:13
Cheers nidge.All the best. :tu:

Mike