PDA

View Full Version : NTL say Cable Modem not Registered...I am Dial up

MartinW
25-11-2004, 22:26
Hi, A friend of mine has had broad band for 2 years, and 2 weeks ago it stops working. I go round to there place to have alook, and I can see the IP of the WAN etc...so its there end. Now she has spent 10 hours over the last 2 weeks trying to get them to sort it. They keep passing her arround, say she is not registerd as Broad band and is a dial up customer.... you must ring customer services etc.... which she does, she gets passed on etc, they say no manager to talk to etc.So now she is giving up and wants me to sort for her to go to BT. The only thing is she will have the expense of a new broadband router, needs a line to the upstairs room etc. as a last ditch attemp, can anyone give me a way to contact NTL to get someone who will sort this out QUICKLY ...come on there must be a name and a number somewhere.....otherwise BT here she comes TIA

millenp
07-12-2004, 00:15
Hey, I recognise this.

I got bounced between tech services and customer serivices 6 times and everyone was really nice but they couldn't fix it. I got sent to Freedom BT, freedon NTl and finally back to customer services (scotland and swansea).

It turns out that they have this thing called a "provisioning account" which is what gets you physically connected. However. Customer services see mee as a dial up customer, and tech services don't see me at all - giving them my mac address just confuses them, because there is nothing wrong with the connectivity, only the link between the modem and the billing.

I wanted to get broadband plus enabled, which I was being charged for but couldn't get access to. That's what happens when your billing account is not connected to your physical account. In the end they said they would have to re-register my modem (which would have meant being cut off - didn't fancy that). Also they said I would be better off leaving things as they were, because it all worked, and just subscribe to the web sites I wanted, rather than bothering with broadband plus - which is what I did - Bizzare!

Raistlin
07-12-2004, 00:39
I'm afraid I can't offer anything terribly constructive to this thread other than to say :welcome: to millenp and also to you Martin (just in case you haven't already had a welcome!).

@Martin:

There are a lot of NTL bods on here who know a darn sight more about this sort of thing than I could ever hope to, if one isn't along shortly with some good advice then just bump the thread tomorrow an hopefully somebody should be able to help you get this sorted.

Hope everything works out ok for you and your friend (I'm sure it will).

Raist.

Chris W
07-12-2004, 00:58
Hey, I recognise this.

I got bounced between tech services and customer serivices 6 times and everyone was really nice but they couldn't fix it. I got sent to Freedom BT, freedon NTl and finally back to customer services (scotland and swansea).

It turns out that they have this thing called a "provisioning account" which is what gets you physically connected. However. Customer services see mee as a dial up customer, and tech services don't see me at all - giving them my mac address just confuses them, because there is nothing wrong with the connectivity, only the link between the modem and the billing.

I wanted to get broadband plus enabled, which I was being charged for but couldn't get access to. That's what happens when your billing account is not connected to your physical account. In the end they said they would have to re-register my modem (which would have meant being cut off - didn't fancy that). Also they said I would be better off leaving things as they were, because it all worked, and just subscribe to the web sites I wanted, rather than bothering with broadband plus - which is what I did - Bizzare!

ah hah... i think i know what has happened here.... if you send me some details via private message then i'll have a look on wednesday (postcode, house number, name and modem mac address would be handy :) )

Raistlin
07-12-2004, 01:22
Just in case the usual question arises.....

Yes, you can PM those details to monkeybreath without worrying he (she?) does work for NTL and has helped me out in the past. I'm sure that a MOD will poke his head in soon enough just to double confirm this (as if there was ever any doubt about monkeybreath's intentions, or of my integrity :p: ).

It might be nice to have a list somewhere (or a marker on a user's profile) that states that they are an NTL employee so that we know who we can trust (or not, as the case may be :p: ). Although I would completely understand if you NTL bods didn't want to advertise too much given the flack that NTL get here sometimes.......:D

Chris W
07-12-2004, 01:24
Yes, you can PM those details to monkeybreath without worrying he (she?) does work for NTL

he ;)

Raistlin
07-12-2004, 01:29
he ;)
Thought so, but you can never be too sure these days. Sorry dude.