PDA

View Full Version : why oh why does ntl instist on trying to get into my computer

ravenuk
24-11-2004, 22:20
been on ntl since dinosaurs ruled the earth but just lately the amount of time my firewal goes ape beacuse my service provider is trying to basical hack my pc is getting beyond a joke.

case in example

critical intrusion detected:
[181.1] Inbound DCE BIND to potentially vulnerable RPC DCOM interface attempt detected
inetnum: 81.108.136.0 - 81.108.143.255
netname: NTL
descr: NTL Infrastructure - Baguley
admin-c: NNMC1-RIPE

thats one of about 40 a month i get all from ntl systems all trying to get info from my computer.

info about what is my concern, are we gonna fall foul of another selling of your habits to the highest bidder.

it really bugs me that a service is provided and from that companies seem to think its ok to use your information to sell on.

now i suppose if i ask ntl they will say oh without this we cant see if your net is working correectly.. rubbish........ my firwall blocks all this stuff and its funny they know it works fine when i ring them

so anyone got any ideas if its a bad as it seems

thanks for reading

sleepless
24-11-2004, 22:29
They are not ntl systems, they are IPs allocated to customer PC's. You really should understand what you type before accusing ntl of hacking your PC. :o

Send the list of IP's to the AUP team for investigation if it is a worry. To be honest 40 hits a month is not much ;)

Paul
24-11-2004, 22:30
It has nothing to do with ntl - it is simply other users on the ntl network who have infected pc's trying to probe you. All that is telling you is that the source ip is in a range owned by ntl. You really should be more careful about what you accuse people of ....

ravenuk
24-11-2004, 22:31
They are not ntl systems, they are IPs allocated to customer PC's. You really should understand what you type before accusing ntl of hacking your PC. :o
well was the idea of askin wasnt it?:dozey:

Paul
24-11-2004, 22:34
well was the idea of askin wasnt it?:dozey:You didn't ask, you accused ntl of trying to hack into your pc :td:

Bill C
24-11-2004, 22:38
been on ntl since dinosaurs ruled the earth but just lately the amount of time my firewal goes ape beacuse my service provider is trying to basical hack my pc is getting beyond a joke.

Like this :nono:

Matth
24-11-2004, 22:58
If one address is notably probing vuylnerable port ranges, or constantly spitting at one port, then I'd report it here
http://www.ntlworld.com/netreport/

Sadly, "firewall reports" are not taken seriously by many, as a lot of firewall users have hyperactive alert settings and don't bother distingushing "background noise" from what is likely to be a virus probe against everyone on the same segment or more.

The golden rule, unless YOU have upset a script kiddie somewhere, YOU are not important enough for even a novice grade hacker to bother with, though cable modem address ranges are popular with anyone looking for a trojanized system, as they would provide a fast and powerful service as the next spam delivery agent - there's **** profit in trojans now!