PDA

View Full Version : ebay users beware

Paul
24-11-2004, 19:40
I got this today, it's fake of course, but will fool many people. :afire:

Hello eBay User, place or change your account information on file

eBay needs a correct information from you.

eBay requires correct credit card information in full each month on accounts with balances of $1.00 or greater and if your account becomes past due. We are unable to verify or authenticate your credit/debit card information on file with us. You have been pre-indefinitely suspended from eBay because credit cards information incorrect (credit card number, pin, expdate or cvv2 code). If you feel you have been suspended in error or want to appeal this decision by providing additional information, we offer you the ability to place or change the information you submit to us.
Important: In order to continue buying and selling, you must have a valid account information on file at eBay. Please update information in your eBay account now by click here and entering the new information yourself in your account. Or click to this link below :

<link removed>

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us. Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.

An email regarding this was sent to you at xxxx.xxxx@ntlworld.com.

Regards,

eBay SafeHarbor Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eBay treats your personal information with the utmost care, and our Privacy Policy is designed to protect you and your information. eBay will never ask their users for personal information, such as bank accounts numbers, credit card numbers, pin numbers, passwords, or Social Security numbers in an email. For more information on how to protect your eBay password and your account, please visit User Account Protection.

This eBay notice was sent to xxxx.xxxx@ntlworld.com based on your eBay account preferences and in accordance with our Privacy Policy. To change your notification preferences, please visit click here. If you would like to receive this email in text format, click here.

Copyright ) 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

paulyoung666
24-11-2004, 19:57
good heads up and annoying to see it still doing the rounds :mad: :mad:

andygrif
24-11-2004, 21:13
I get half a dozen of this type of mail every week or so. There's usually one or two typos in them, and always check the address the link in the email actually links to.

For those that are not sure whether or not they originate from eBay, you should send them to spoof@ebay.co.uk and they will check them out for you (usually within 24 hrs)

nffc
24-11-2004, 21:31
You should have posted the link, so we could all see how pathetic the phishing page was (and to test my firefox spoofbar)

themelon
25-11-2004, 14:52
I think I reported that to ebay a few weeks ago, sure they dont take any notice.

I also decided to do a bit of payback to the website providing the database which was an exceedingly dodgy bit of CFM I Think linked to an Access Database.

Jarandco
25-11-2004, 15:47
I think I reported that to ebay a few weeks ago, sure they dont take any notice.

I also decided to do a bit of payback to the website providing the database which was an exceedingly dodgy bit of CFM I Think linked to an Access Database.

PayPal always take notice, i always get a reply back from paypal within a day confirming that oit was a fake and that they will be investigating it! :D

looselipsuk
25-11-2004, 21:29

Whenever I have had an e-mail like that and I forward it to ebay I get an automated response and then a follow up e-mail thanking me for letting them know and confirming it to be false and action is being taken.

Tricky
25-11-2004, 21:33
The automated responses from Ebay are really annoying but I assume they must get 100000's of mails per day!

themelon
25-11-2004, 22:10
Whenever I have had an e-mail like that and I forward it to ebay I get an automated response and then a follow up e-mail thanking me for letting them know and confirming it to be false and action is being taken.

The one I reported is still going, the dodgy database and Cold Fusion is still collecting data a strong!

andygrif
26-11-2004, 01:54
It's also worth signing up to SpamCop and forwarding these messages there - SpamCop sends reports to the ISP referenced in the message, so they are more likely to be shut down more quickly.

Flubflow
02-08-2005, 09:50
Fake Ebay phishing emails are doing the rounds again. So beware.
I received one this morning entitled "Message ID 73010 - Message from eBay Member (eBay)".
The message body contains a very neat ebay styled page basically telling you the usual crap that your account has been compromised and asks you to verify your details.
Of course if you receive such an email then DO NOT enter any info or click on any links. Delete it.
If it comes in on an email account that is not even registered with ebay then you've no excuse for not deleting it right away without even opening it.

I've forwarded it to spoof@ebay.co.uk

grandmaster
02-08-2005, 11:03
Ebay will always quote your member name in an email where as phishers do not..

Stuart
02-08-2005, 11:20
People, remember that with eBay, paypal and most other sites that need some sort of account to log in to (banks etc), if they should contact you with any queries on your account, then you should always go to their site's home page (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk) and log on from there.

DO NOT CLICK ANY LINKS OR FILL OUT ANY FORMS IN THE EMAIL.

Monster Jedi
02-08-2005, 14:30
People, remember that with eBay, paypal and most other sites that need some sort of account to log in to (banks etc), if they should contact you with any queries on your account, then you should always go to their site's home page (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk (http://www.ebay.co.uk/)) and log on from there.

I fill them in but then if I say what I've put in them. I would get banned off this site :D

nffc
02-08-2005, 18:27
People, remember that with eBay, paypal and most other sites that need some sort of account to log in to (banks etc), if they should contact you with any queries on your account, then you should always go to their site's home page (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk (http://www.ebay.co.uk/)) and log on from there.

I fill them in but then if I say what I've put in them. I would get banned off this site :D
If someone posts a link on here or somewhere I do that too. I'm on ntl so my IP's not visible and anyway I have firewalls, NAT etc so it's pretty safe.

AndrewJ
02-08-2005, 18:31
Report it to spoof@ebay.co.uk and then post the message with the link removed onto here so others who may not know about spoof@ebay.co.uk can review what is fake and what is real.

Gareth
02-08-2005, 18:56
I believe that ebay have a new policy now where any email sent to you will be visible in your online account, so that people can check themselves whether it's legit or not.

I read an article on one site from the head of the fraud team at ebay, detailing some of the measures they've taken (without going into detail of course :) )... was a very good read, but I've lost the url now

Theodoric
02-08-2005, 19:13
You should have posted the link, so we could all see how pathetic the phishing page was (and to test my firefox spoofbar)
What exactly is the Firefox spoofbar? As a Firefox user it sounds like it could be a useful addition.

Or do I already have it and not know it, sort of like Jourdain in Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme not realising that he'd been speaking prose all his life. :)

Gareth
02-08-2005, 20:15
Maybe this one... https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=121

or this

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=478

:shrug:

nffc
02-08-2005, 21:24
What exactly is the Firefox spoofbar? As a Firefox user it sounds like it could be a useful addition.

Or do I already have it and not know it, sort of like Jourdain in Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme not realising that he'd been speaking prose all his life. :)
It's just a bar to tell you the domain you're REALLY on. I don't even recall posting that so it must have been ages ago- I uninstalled it in the end cos it was eating too much screenspace. :(