PDA

View Full Version : Am I In Trouble (or will I have problems?)

Raistlin
23-11-2004, 22:11
Hi Guys,

I phoned NTL today to ask them to arrange a BroadBand account for me. The nice chap on the end of the phone (who, despite the usual complaints, was very cheerful, friendly and helpful) arranged for an engineer to call and install the TV, telephone and BroadBand.

Whilst I was on the phone he told me my account name and pin number.

Fortunately for me (or unfortunately as it may turn out) the guy that was in this place before me has left his SACM here. It was in it's original packaging and obviously hadn't been used.

Soooooo........ Being the impatient little blighter that I am, I fired it up, went online and registered....... Hence the reason that I am able to post this..........

Is this likely to cause me any problems / trouble when the engineer comes round? Have I been a naughty boy or will all be ok?

Mick
23-11-2004, 22:33
I am sure if you was to ring ntl and tell them the circumstances - I do not see any major issue here. :)

Raistlin
23-11-2004, 22:37
Cool, they still have to come out and install my telephone and TV. I just don't need the SACM to be installed or setup.

I'll give them a call in the morning and take my verbal slapping like a man!

Cheers Mick.

Mick
23-11-2004, 22:40
When is the engineer calling round to do the installation?

Raistlin
24-11-2004, 00:11
If memory serves (it's on my calender at work) it's about two weeks from now.

winters
24-11-2004, 11:06
Not sure about specific areas but as long as you have registered with your user name and pin number provided to you, you should be ok. There is the possibility there may be billing issues, but they should be able to check the system which holds your account username and passwords to reconcile against whatever billing system you are on, as registering your username should result in you showing as active on the network from the time you registered. The only other issues you may have is with signal level, although if you're online then looks like all will be ok.
You should always wait until you are installed by an engineer before using your services, and this will halt any issues, and avoid you getting a telling off, but if you happen to be of a curious nature and the modem falls on to the end of the cable and you accidentally type in your username and pin number, then whats a person to do? ;)

Mick
24-11-2004, 12:42
Two weeks for an installation is quite a bit of time to wait IMO, unless this is by customer choice, so as long as ntl are aware of the circumstances and new billing arrangements can be made, I do not see why ntl should give the customer a 'ticking off'.

winters
24-11-2004, 13:08
I agree, two weeks is a long time to wait. But that is the date that has been arranged for an engineer to attend and complete a proper install, with all checks made etc, so would make sense that customer would be billed from the time they had been visited by an engineer. Telling off was a bad choice of words, sorry :dunce: What I meant was someone may try the same thing and cause damage to the cabling. If an engineer then comes to your house and finds he has to rewire the whole route then he may not be a happy bunny.

Chris W
24-11-2004, 13:09
If the guy went through the registration server with the pin given, then he obviously had an account pending activation. The modem has never been used before (otherwise it wouldn't have gone through the reg page) so new he has a new modem associated with a new account, and should be getting billed for this properly.

If the engineer is coming to install other services this won't cause a problem as the visit is still needed and won't waste anyone's time.

Just to make sure that everything is setup proplerly Raistlin could you PM me your postcode, house number and the mac address from the bottom of the modem that you are using please :)

MB

Raistlin
24-11-2004, 15:16
monkeybreath: I take it that you work for NTL then?

Don't mean to sound funny but I try not to give out too much personal information, over the net, to people that I don't know.
No offence meant, of course, but for all I know you might pop round and pinch my washing and then where would I be? :D

Graham F
24-11-2004, 15:20

Don't mean to sound funny but I try not to give out too much personal information, over the net, to people that I don't know.
No offence meant, of course, but for all I know you might pop round and pinch my washing and then where would I be? :D

MB works for ntl and i am sure that one of the admin team will come and vouch for him as well :)

Mick
24-11-2004, 15:24

He does work for ntl. - I can verify that 100%. :)

Raistlin
24-11-2004, 16:25
Thanks guys.

PM on it's way.

Cheers.