PDA

View Full Version : DUMeter shows constant downloading

lardboy
23-11-2004, 09:48
My DUMeter is showing a constant download speed of around the 1 - 3 kb mark, and my modem light is flashing, when I've got nothing downloading and minimal progs running .

Is this normal because I've never noticed it before?

I don't think it's a virus or spyware or whatever because I recognise all the entries in task manager and I've scanned my system with upto date Spybot S&D, Adaware, AVG and Microtrend housecall online.

I've also removed all programs from zonealarm's list.

This is freaky.

Neil
23-11-2004, 10:04
It's just your PC 'talking to' the ntl network, perfectly normal. :)

lardboy
23-11-2004, 10:53
Right,thanks.

I thought it might just be background noise but it was one of those things that I suddenly noticed and it started freaking me out ;)

Ignition
23-11-2004, 11:19
No worries a above. I believe there's an IOS (Internetwork Operating System, the OS Cisco routeres run on) that removes this ARP spam as one of its' settings, no idea if/when this will be deployed on the ntl network though.

SMHarman
23-11-2004, 13:01
It's just your PC 'talking to' the ntl network, perfectly normal. :)
Not wanting to turn this into a cap thread, but does similar traffic occur on ADSL, and is it / can it be / should it be excluded from any form of BW monitoring, or is it absolutly immaterial to the calculation (however if I found I had used 5.1Gb and had to pay for that extra .1Gb then I might feel it not so immaterial.

Ignition
23-11-2004, 13:28
Not wanting to turn this into a cap thread, but does similar traffic occur on ADSL, and is it / can it be / should it be excluded from any form of BW monitoring, or is it absolutly immaterial to the calculation (however if I found I had used 5.1Gb and had to pay for that extra .1Gb then I might feel it not so immaterial.

There are various places to monitor traffic, ARP won't count as it's not IP layer it runs at layer, well, 2.5 :D

Matth
23-11-2004, 21:23
0.8-0.9Kb here - I know it's ARP, as I could count ARP traffic on my network card utility.

The only easy way I can see to avoid screwed up bandwidth monitor software, is to work through a router.

The other thing, I have the option to add SNMP to the network card, and I know of one free SNMP based monitor tool.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/itindicator.html