PDA

View Full Version : ntl News Groups

Theodoric
20-08-2003, 22:14
I know that is a perennial topic, but as it's also a perennial ntl problem I feel no particular shame about disinterring it.

Having noted carefully what's posted here and elsewhere, I believe that I have the full set of news servers, namely news.cable.ntlworld.com, news.ntlword.com, newscache.cable.ntlworld.com, news.tesco.net, news.virgin.net and text.news.ntlworld.com. For the past week, the service has dropped from the normal state of very poor, down past the not infrequent state of appalling and reached the nadir of almost unusable. The only one that shows any signs of being even halfway usable is the last one, text.news.ntlworld.com, and even that has exhibited problems.

Does anyone know what is going on and is there any info on when things will return to their normal state of very poor?

Theodoric
20-08-2003, 22:15
Finger trouble! Duplicate post deleted.

homealone
20-08-2003, 22:28
Originally posted by Theodoric
I know that is a perennial topic, but as it's also a perennial ntl problem I feel no particular shame about disinterring it.

Having noted carefully what's posted here and elsewhere, I believe that I have the full set of news servers, namely news.cable.ntlworld.com, news.ntlword.com, newscache.cable.ntlworld.com, news.tesco.net, news.virgin.net and text.news.ntlworld.com. For the past week, the service has dropped from the normal state of very poor, down past the not infrequent state of apalling and reached the nadir of almost unusable. The only one that shows any signs of being even halfway usable is the last one, text.news.ntlworld.com, and even that has exhibited problems.

Does anyone know what is going on and is there any info on when things will return to their normal state of very poor?

Hi Theodoric

an allegedly mirrored server you missed was news.cache.cable.ntlworld.com

- and yes, for me, the text server has been the most reliable - and has, also, suffered more problems than "usual".

web based news servers have suffered with the dns & worm problems, as well, though - no good for ng guys?:)

Theodoric
20-08-2003, 22:37
Originally posted by homealone
Hi Theodoric

an allegedly mirrored server you missed was news.cache.cable.ntlworld.com

- and yes, for me, the text server has been the most reliable - and has, also, suffered more problems than "usual".

web based news servers have suffered with the dns & worm problems, as well, though - no good for ng guys?:)
Aha, I'll add it to the list.

Out of interest, how many of these servers are independent of each other and, ignoring the tesco and virgin ones (are they simply sub-contracted from ntl ), why does ntl need so many? Finally why have I had to find out about them via the forums; is it aginst ntl's interest to make it widely known that there is more than one?

bawbag99
21-08-2003, 21:38
Perennial ???? id say almost bi-monthly we have this newsgroup blackout. Bollox!!!

Full list of NTL servers that may help should any come back on line:

newsfep1a-gui.server.ntli.net
newsfep1a-gui.server.ntli.net
newsfep1b-gui.server.ntli.net
newsfep1c-gui.server.ntli.net
newsfep1d-gui.server.ntli.net
newsfep2a-gui.server.ntli.net
newsfep2b-gui.server.ntli.net
newsfep2c-gui.server.ntli.net
newsfep2d-gui.server.ntli.net
newsfep1a-win.server.ntli.net
newsfep1b-win.server.ntli.net
newsfep1c-win.server.ntli.net
newsfep1d-win.server.ntli.net
newsfep2a-win.server.ntli.net
newsfep2b-win.server.ntli.net
newsfep2c-win.server.ntli.net
newsfep2d-win.server.ntli.net

Cache servers unreliable but at least accept a connection:

cache1-mant.server.ntli.net
inktomi1-bro.server.ntl.com
inktomi2-bro.server.ntl.com

All the news.cable.ntlworld.com addresses give a rotating server from the above list (DNS round robin) to spread the load!