PDA

View Full Version : How to open a bottle of wine

Theodoric
20-08-2003, 19:23
Quoted by JonBoy in another thread:

"i carry mine [a knife] all the time when i manage to go out only last sunday we went to dolby forest and we had loads of nice non alcohol wine and nowt to open it with till i got me knife out"

Now, I believe that the way to open a bottle of wine when you haven't a corkscrew is as follows.

1) Wrap the bottle of wine in a towel so that the base is covered. This is not essential, but failure to do so could well literally lead to blood in the aisle.

2) Take courage and strike the bottom of the bottle hard against a firm surface (a nearby tree, perhaps, if out on a picnic).

3) A shockwave will travel up the bottle and when it reaches the cork, it will slowly but surely be driven out of the bottle.

I have never dared try this. Has anyone?

PS I'm fairly certain that this will not work with the screw tops that some wine bottles have nowadays. :)

philip.j.fry
20-08-2003, 19:35
Never tried that way, but one way of opening sparkiling wine that I have heard of is similar. Basically, you take a sharp knife and stroke the bottle with it, finally giving the neck of the bottle a sharp tap with the knife. The cork is then supposed to rise slowly up and fall out, thus far I have met with near total failure when trying this :(

Next time I have a bottle I'll try your method and get back to you.

paulyoung666
20-08-2003, 20:22
i think i will just make sure i have a corkscrew handy thanks :spin:

trebor
20-08-2003, 20:59
I just push the cork into the bottle, sometimes with the aid of house keys. if you haven't got any keys you are locked out and opening the wine is the least of your problems ;)

homealone
20-08-2003, 21:17
another method - which can result in an unusual vase -

put the bottle on a turntable & while it's spinning, heat the neck of the bottle with a very fine flame, so only a very narrow ring of glass gets heated.

Remove the flame & spray the bottle with cold water, while giving the neck of the bottle a little tap - & it should break away cleanly.:D

- Paul's idea was the best!:)

paulyoung666
20-08-2003, 21:51
Originally posted by homealone

put the bottle on a turntable & while it's spinning, heat the neck of the bottle with a very fine flame, so only a very narrow ring of glass gets heated.

Remove the flame & spray the bottle with cold water, while giving the neck of the bottle a little tap - & it should break away cleanly.:D

- Paul's idea was the best!:)

but do you need an oxy / acetylene set to do it ?????????????
like the idea though :p :p :p :p

Ramrod
20-08-2003, 22:24
This thread has me:rofl:

Ramrod
20-08-2003, 22:28
Originally posted by Theodoric

"i carry mine [a knife] all the time when i manage to go out only last sunday we went to dolby forest and we had loads of nice non alcohol wine and nowt to open it with till i got me knife out"

Now, I believe that the way to open a bottle of wine when you haven't a corkscrew is as follows.

1) Wrap the bottle of wine in a towel so that the base is covered. This is not essential, but failure to do so could well literally lead to blood in the aisle.

2) Take courage and strike the bottom of the bottle hard against a firm surface (a nearby tree, perhaps, if out on a picnic).

3) A shockwave will travel up the bottle and when it reaches the cork, it will slowly but surely be driven out of the bottle.

PS I'm fairly certain that this will not work with the screw tops that some wine bottles have nowadays. :)
First: This may work if the wine is sparkling. I have done a similar thing with beer. You hold an open beer bottle close to the top and strike it very fast with the flat (and it has to be exactly flat) of your palm. If you do this properly you will blow the bottom of the beer bottle off:D . Cool effect but very difficult to do. Works best with short, stubby bottles.
'course theres no beer left after.....:(

Ramrod
20-08-2003, 22:30
Originally posted by philip.j.fry
Never tried that way, but one way of opening sparkiling wine that I have heard of is similar. Basically, you take a sharp knife and stroke the bottle with it, finally giving the neck of the bottle a sharp tap with the knife. The cork is then supposed to rise slowly up and fall out, thus far I have met with near total failure when trying this :(

Next time I have a bottle I'll try your method and get back to you. Second: I'm not surprised about the failure:D .....How do you stroke a bottle with a knife and why would this do anything?

Ramrod
20-08-2003, 22:31
Originally posted by trebor
I just push the cork into the bottle, sometimes with the aid of house keys. if you haven't got any keys you are locked out and opening the wine is the least of your problems ;) Thirdly: This works:D

Ramrod
20-08-2003, 22:36

- Paul's idea was the best!:) Forthly?!:Scary:eek: . If you actually have a turntable and an oxyacetylene flame, why tf don't you have a corkscrew to hand?:rofl: :D

Ramrod
20-08-2003, 22:37
Originally posted by paulyoung666
i think i will just make sure i have a corkscrew handy thanks :spin: I'm with you on this:D

Alan Waddington
20-08-2003, 23:17
Nip down to the docks & find a ship that needs launching.

philip.j.fry
21-08-2003, 01:10
Originally posted by Ramrod
Second: I'm not surprised about the failure:D .....How do you stroke a bottle with a knife and why would this do anything?

My guess would be that stroking the bottle excites the liquid enough to cause a buildup of pressure...believe it or not this was on a cookery programme as the proper way to open a bottle of champagne.

orangebird
21-08-2003, 08:19
<snip>

Errr, you wouldn't need to use this method with a screw top - surely you don't need any other tools to open a screwtop, other than your own hand... :confused: :dunce: ;)

Ramrod
21-08-2003, 09:58
Originally posted by philip.j.fry
My guess would be that stroking the bottle excites the liquid enough to cause a buildup of pressure...believe it or not this was on a cookery programme as the proper way to open a bottle of champagne. How does the fluid know that the bottle is being stroked?!
-it's not sentient and even if it was it couldn't feel anything through the glass anyway:confused:

SMHarman
21-08-2003, 13:23
Originally posted by orangebird
Errr, you wouldn't need to use this method with a screw top - surely you don't need any other tools to open a screwtop, other than your own hand... :confused: :dunce: ;)

:D :) :dunce: :drunk:

SMHarman
21-08-2003, 13:24

No - but I saw it demonstrated on a cookery show. Best not with old wine as it stirs the sediment up!

You are basically using a liquid shock to hit the bottom of the cork.

Tricky
21-08-2003, 15:41
Dig the cork out with your keys and then pour the wine though a fine cloth (you do carry a clean hankerchief don't you?) Shirt sleves work well but not with red wine for some reason.

Note, above solution doesn't work with new rubber style corks..

SMHarman
21-08-2003, 15:52
Originally posted by Tricky
Dig the cork out with your keys and then pour the wine though a fine cloth (you do carry a clean hankerchief don't you?) Shirt sleves work well but not with red wine for some reason.

Note, above solution doesn't work with new rubber style corks..

But the OP works really well with the new style corks - they dont stick as much.

Theodoric
21-08-2003, 22:19
From personal experience, one method not to try, namely a power dill through the cork. As I found out to my cost you end up with a wine-soaked shirt!

homealone
21-08-2003, 22:25
From personal experience, one method not to try, namely a power dill through the cork. As I found out to my cost you end up with a wine-soaked shirt!

wring it out into a glass & stop whining:D

- buy it by the 3L box - of course!:smokin:

Ramrod
21-08-2003, 22:30
we had loads of nice non alcohol wine Is there such a thing?:confused: :eek:

Ramrod
21-08-2003, 22:31

I like your style!:D

homealone
21-08-2003, 22:38
I like your style!:D

wasn't it necessity breeds contempt?:)

Gaz

Ramrod
21-08-2003, 22:48
wasn't it necessity breeds contempt?:)

Gaz yea but I'd be sucking it out of the shirt:D

homealone
21-08-2003, 22:52
yea but I'd be sucking it out of the shirt:D

your shirt is prolly ok - avoid carpets - if you can:D

Ramrod
21-08-2003, 22:54
your shirt is prolly ok - avoid carpets - if you can:D If you'r sucking from carpets you need to suck through a shirt:D

homealone
21-08-2003, 22:59
If you'r sucking from carpets you need to suck through a shirt:D

lol Ramrod - that is more true than i like to remember. :rofl:

Theodoric
21-08-2003, 23:04

- buy it by the 3L box - of course!:smokin:
Nice pun. :)

However, is it true that if you spill red wine on a carpet you should 'neutralise' it with white wine?

Ramrod
21-08-2003, 23:17
Nice pun. :)

However, is it true that if you spill red wine on a carpet you should 'neutralise' it with white wine? We did.....used lots of salt as well

Jonboy
21-08-2003, 23:46
the knife i was referin to was a swiss army knife which has a cork screw Attachment :D

SMHarman
22-08-2003, 09:46
Originally posted by Jonboy
the knife i was referin to was a swiss army knife which has a cork screw Attachment :D

Aaah but does it have a thing for getting stones out of horses hoofs?

zoombini
22-08-2003, 10:49
Ah... that most useful thing, like perhaps also the needle used for sowing with thick cord into perhaps really old canvas sails or hessian (I use this all the time-not).

Nemesis
22-08-2003, 10:55
My one ...

http://www.victorinox.com/newsite/en/produkte/produktdetails/detail.cfm?pid=1-3773

Lord Nikon
22-08-2003, 10:59
I want a Cybertool 41

Ramrod
22-08-2003, 11:01
Originally posted by Nemesis
My one ...

http://www.victorinox.com/newsite/en/produkte/produktdetails/detail.cfm?pid=1-3773 Like mine....exept I don't have that hook thingy but I do have a tiny screwdriver that stows away in the corkscrew.

Nemesis
22-08-2003, 11:04
I bought one to fit 50p ... bargain.