PDA

View Full Version : BB Tech support help anyone!??!!

stairpotato
19-11-2004, 09:31
Hi - is anyone from NTL tech support lurking in these forums.

I had problems with intermittent connection all last weekend.

Was OK from Monday night til this morning. I've spent an hour on the phone to call centres in India - who are useless. Can't get through to anyone in the UK!!

This morning the 'cable' light on my Terayon was off - and no service.

It eventually came back on - but I have quite a bit of packet loss....

I'm in RG18EP..... Please feel free to contact me directly if you can help : madison_york@hotmail.com is my msn - thanks!!

bopdude
19-11-2004, 10:35
Stick around, they will be up and about soon enough, they just need a bit more coaxing out of bed than us meer mortals, seriously though, I'm sure one of the ntl tech's will be about soon, :tu:

paulyoung666
19-11-2004, 10:38
HIhi and :welcome: to the site , i wouldnt go publicly posting your e-mail addy :erm: , apart from that have you thought about trying c.s. again , its a free call , last time i had a problem i got put straight thru to t.s. no problem :)

stairpotato
19-11-2004, 10:44
Meh - it's my spam email account so I don't care.

Yes it maybe a free call - but whats the point if I can ONLY get through to the india call centre - and can't get to speak to the level 2 tech support who may actually be able to help!

Neil
19-11-2004, 10:46
Meh - it's my spam email account so I don't care.

Yes it maybe a free call - but whats the point if I can ONLY get through to the india call centre - and can't get to speak to the level 2 tech support who may actually be able to help!

I think all cable modem support is UK based.

stairpotato
19-11-2004, 10:49
Nope.

I spoke to an indian call centre this morning - I know - coz I checked with the person I was talking to.

Neil
19-11-2004, 11:11
Nope.

I spoke to an indian call centre this morning - I know - coz I checked with the person I was talking to.
What number did you ring?

stairpotato
19-11-2004, 11:25
I phoned 150 from my landline -

option 3 for faults

option 1 for broadband faults

option 1 for cable modem faults

option 2 for no service

- this went to an IVR platform recorded message i'd never heard before - the person I spoke to sounded a) indian - b) a long way away and c) stupid (but thats not important)

....so eventually - when I'd started to get cross about the uselessness of the support - she admitted that she was in india.....

stairpotato
19-11-2004, 18:29
To add more detail to this:

1)What, specifically, is your issue?

Keep losing connection completely - (ie cable light goes off on modem - and no bb service) when it does come back - i'm getting packet loss and intermittent browsing etc

a) Is there a specific time that this issue is most prevalent?

usually overnight

b) How long has this issue been going on? (days, weeks, months etc)

a week

2) Do you have cable TV? If so, is there any reception degradation?

yes i do - no there isn't (but there wouldn't be as I have a separate cable for the modem - coz of a previous issue)

3) Have you contacted customer support about this problem? If so, what did they say?

yes - on monday - they said maybe a local ubr problem - and again today - but 1st line support couldn't contact 2nd line support - and have spent nearly 2 hours on phone without talking to someone who can help!

4) What troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve this problem? (aka: if you haven't tried to help yourself, why should *we* help you?)

lots of rebooting!

5 Who you are and what you have
a) Where in the country are you?

reading - rg1 8ep

b) What is your operating system?

xp
c) What is your home network setup? Provide details.

wireless router
d) If you have more than one computer, is the problem occuring on all other machines?

yes yes

e) Are you running a firewall of any sort? Have you ever installed one? Did you try to turn it off during troubleshooting?

yes yes

Line test result:

http://www.dslreports.com/quality/nil/1572158

Neil
19-11-2004, 18:44
Since when where BB faults calls routed to India? :erm:

scrotnig
19-11-2004, 18:51
Monkeybreath has touched on this...he says that a small number of these calls are indeed routed there. I must confess it was the first I'd heard of it, but clearly it is happening.

paulyoung666
19-11-2004, 18:53

didnt know they were , seems as though they are though , @ stairpotato when i mentioned about you posting your e-mail addy i did it in good faith , no need for the negative reply , only trying to help the best i can ;)

Neil
19-11-2004, 18:56
Monkeybreath has touched on this...he says that a small number of these calls are indeed routed there. I must confess it was the first I'd heard of it, but clearly it is happening.

:td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td:

mmm
19-11-2004, 20:32
This morning the 'cable' light on my Terayon was off - and no service.

It eventually came back on - but I have quite a bit of packet loss....

Cable light being off means it is an ntl fault, not a lot you can do apart from check connections between your modem and wall socket. You need to get a engineer to visit

Round here it is no longer possible to use Robin Walker's DOCSDIAG ISP side recipe on your Terayon modem.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/

because ntl appear to have disabled SNMP traffic.

It is possible to still use DOCSDIAG on a Terayon TJ210 with a local connection to a Windows XP Pro machine using a secondary IP address - I could post details if you want to see what your modem thinks the signal quality is when it is working or error codes when it isn't.

Chris W
19-11-2004, 20:35
It sounds like an SNR problem.

If you contact tech support again, ask what the readings are for Cable Modem Signal to Noise Ratio, and also Channel SNR. Both figures should be above 20.

mmm
19-11-2004, 20:51

If you contact tech support again, ask what the readings are for Cable Modem Signal to Noise Ratio, and also Channel SNR. Both figures should be above 20.

A working modem should have figures like this...

Terayon DOCSIS Cable Modem: <<HW_REV: 6.62; VENDOR: Terayon; BOOTR: NONE; SW_REV
: 1.7.14; MODEL: >>

System up time = 0 days 10h 24m 52.63s

IP address.192.168.100.1 = 192.168.100.1
Ethernet single-collision errs.1 = 3
Ethernet multiple-collision errs.1 = 3
Ethernet carrier sense xmit errs.1 = 38
Downstream channel ID = 0
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = 8.8 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 4
Upstream channel frequency = 33584000 Hz
Upstream timing offset = 13142 units of (6.25/64) microseconds
QoS max upstream bandwidth = 64000 bps
QoS max downstream bandwidth = 300000 bps
SigQu: received without error = 1179691955 codewords
SigQu: correctable errors = 0 codewords
SigQu: uncorrectable errors = 0 codewords
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 34.1 dB
SigQu: microreflections = 23 dBc
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 41.2 dBmV
Number of interface resets = 0
Downstream sync losses = 0
Invalid MAP msgs received = 0
Invalid UCD msgs received = 0
Invalid Ranging Responses rcvd = 0
Invalid Registration Resps rcvd = 0
T1 timer expiries = 0
T2 timer expiries = 0
T3 timer expiries = 4
T4 timer expiries = 0
Ranging Aborts = 0
Tx mini-slots used (contended).167 = 0
Tx mini-slots used (dedicated).167 = 250566
Tx data re-tries.167 = 0
Tx data retry limit exceeded.167 = 0
Tx bandwidth req retries.167 = 195
Tx bw req retry lim exceeded.167 = 0
Date and Time = 2004-11-19,20:50:26.0+00:00
Configuration filename = tera210x-bronze.cm

Ignition
19-11-2004, 22:23

Bad monkey!

Channel SNR irrelevant, however that cable modem's return SNR must be above 18 to receive a reasonable service, that's the minimum for a grief free service. As it drops below this service gets progressively worse.

To OP the question about TV reception is VERY relevant because if the downstream signal from ntl isn't good enough for cable modem you'll see artifacts on your digital TV reception dude.

Yipes, got a 6db forward path conditioner you could pop on that, that's running pretty hot!

stairpotato
19-11-2004, 22:53
Just checking - isn't that irrelevent in my case - as I have two separate cables entering my house from the NTL box up the road? (This was done by an engineer a couple of years ago to resolve a problem with TV reception cutting out when using broadband) - so as far as I'm aware my TV reception should be completely unrelated to my broadband............or am i missing something...

stairpotato
19-11-2004, 23:00
***update****

managed to speak to a real person earlier - at last - by the time i got through to someone (after about an hour of holding) everything was pretty much ok....

here's the diagnostics that were run:

Ping results from modem : 10 packets sent: 0% lost; 7ms / 15ms / 28ms
(Min/Avg/Max)
Modem lease granted at : 02/10/2004 14:47:20
Modem lease expires at : 25/11/2004 17:20:10

CPE IP Address :
Ping results from CPE : 10 packets sent: 0% lost 9ms / 14ms / 29ms
(Min / Avg / Max)
CPE lease Granted at : 02/10/2004 14:47:45
CPE lease expires at : 21/11/2004 11:17:14

cmRxPower +0.0 dB mV
cmStatus registrationComplete
cdxCmtsCmStatusValue online
cmSNR +29.8 dB
ccsFlapInsertionFailNum 42
ccsFlapHitNum 57979
ccsFlapMissNum 10856
ccsFlapCrcErrorNum 0
ccsFlapPowerAdjustmentNum 15
ccsFlapTotalNum 340
cmTimesOnline 111
cmPercentOnline 98.15 %
cmMinOnline 0d 0h 0m 18s
cmAvgOnline 0d 9h 41m 9s
cmMaxOnline 9d 4h 49m 42s
cmMinOffline 0d 0h 0m 1s
cmAvgOffline 0d 0h 10m 55s
cmMaxOffline 0d 5h 16m 36s
channelSNR +28.7 dB
interfaceDescr Cable4/0-upstream3
interfaceAdminStatus up
interfaceOperStatus up
qosUpstream 256000
qosDownstream 1536000

as far as i can tell things look ok - but then i guess they would if it was working ok.....

basically i've just gotta call back when it stops working again....

.....deep joy.

Ignition
19-11-2004, 23:05
TSB making a habit of pasting bluetools output to customers now? :confused:

While I'm all for openness this is taking it a bit far - who did you speak to please? Tell me in private message please to avoid naming in public.

Ignition
19-11-2004, 23:07
Just checking - isn't that irrelevent in my case - as I have two separate cables entering my house from the NTL box up the road? (This was done by an engineer a couple of years ago to resolve a problem with TV reception cutting out when using broadband) - so as far as I'm aware my TV reception should be completely unrelated to my broadband............or am i missing something...

You're missing something, broadband is carried down the same broadband spectrum that DTV is, issues affecting downstreams on broadband in an area will affect DTV as well.

stairpotato
19-11-2004, 23:15
yeah - apologies - i kinda figured that bit - didn't explain myself well....

when the broadband service has been off - the tv has been fine.....

mmm
20-11-2004, 00:28

Yipes, got a 6db forward path conditioner you could pop on that, that's running pretty hot!

Long story to do with postcode checker and ntl incompetence, there is a 6dB attenuator (not forward path, it also affects upstream) I could take out, and the connection still works at +15dB. I used to have terrible trouble with upstream (I'm sure because I was registered with wrong address) but now have a green box to myself coz ntl tell my neighbours that BB not available when they ask... Any ideas how I could get a 12dB forward path conditioner?

carlingman
20-11-2004, 02:16
TSB making a habit of pasting bluetools output to customers now? :confused:

While I'm all for openness this is taking it a bit far - who did you speak to please? Tell me in private message please to avoid naming in public.

Well I think the idea of Techs giving the diagnostics to the customer is a good move and I will give two comparisons below as to why.

1. If I take me motor for an MOT and it fails then I am handed a sheet as to what and whay it has fails, now I myself dont have to be a mechanic to understand it but it gives me the option of gaining a second opinion.

2. I work in Client Oracle Data Base Support role and the Client after logging the call with me is auto e-mailed the details of the call and the status from the call logging software used.

In both instances the caller is aware of exactly what has happened and what is proposed to being done towards a resolve.

In instance 1 then it would be to get a second opinion and get the work done and take the motor back for a retest.

In instance 2 the caller knows what they called for what was said to fix or where the call has gone for further resolution.

Ignition as for you calling and asking for the poster to PM you which Tech gave him the information and to PM you with it is to me bang out of order.

Not so long ago the NTL Employees here threw their toys out of the pram and all threatened a mass walk away from the site when posters were asked to name and shame.

Ok I concede this is not a name and shame in public but you no doubt with this information will follow it up which amounts to the same thing the agent being shamed on a forum or being shamed by yourself passing the information on.

Ignition I have read many of your postings here and you are a very knowledgeable person and a great asset to NTL and this forum along with the many others that help out here so if you get the requested information via PM I for one hope you will not use it in any malicious way of getting the tech that supplied into hot water.

Ultimately if posters cannot name and shame publicly I fail too see why employees should be able to internally.

I for one see the publshing of the results via the tools sent to the customer via email as a positive step in the right direction from NTL.

:D

ian@huth
20-11-2004, 09:55
A MOT station giving a list of faults with a car that has failed the test is useful because the owner can take the car anywhere for rectification. A bluetools output report is really of no use to the customer as only NTL can rectify any problem. It either signifies a problem which the CSR should take action to resolve or that there is no problem at that moment in time. To me it seems that the CSR taking time to send a copy of the output is wasting time that could better be used attending to the next customer in the telephone queue.

Ignition
20-11-2004, 10:03
I for one see the publshing of the results via the tools sent to the customer via email as a positive step in the right direction from NTL.

Right let me make myself clear.

Those reports contain some non-customer specific information which is best kept out of the public domain - bluntly I don't feel comfortable with anyone interested knowing which version of uBR code is running on our network, especially with recent security issues. Not to mention corporate confidentiality, if Cisco build a custom IOS for us for bug fixing, etc, it's not really our business to be broadcasting that they have, which member of staff built it for us, when it was built, and what code train it's based on.

The rest I really don't care about which is why only the IOS version was edited out at my request last night.

The other issue is that this being in the public domain like this some people will google like crazy to find out what it means, possibly misunderstand what they read or form an opinion based on the lovely ideal figures you find on the web that don't take account of real life conditions and generate further calls to the TSB. This I'm not fussed about as I'm not customer facing. The idea of some script kiddie looking around the web for IOS exploits for version x.x on the other hand I do care about as it could cause me rather a lot of grief, and I'm quite busy enough without that.

As far as the tech in question goes, yes I have his name, will he get into hot water? No. Not really necessary is it? Will be mentioned why this isn't the best idea and be asked not to do it, that's all really.

scrotnig
20-11-2004, 10:15
[snip]

Ultimately if posters cannot name and shame publicly I fail too see why employees should be able to internally.

1) ALL employees didn't threaten to walk off the site.
2) The issue was with public naming and shaming of people which could harm their career. That's a bit different to requesting details by PM in order to offer advice and/or guidance, neither of which is likely to affect someone's career
3) A mistake that is always made on this site, people assume that users of this site are representative of ntl customers as a whole. I can assure you they are not. Most users of this site are what I would call 'extremely net savvy' and would no doubt love Bluetools results being made available. Well, the vast majority of customers are NOT like that. I'll tell you what, security issues asude, if that sort of stuff was routinely emailed to every customer who called, my previous department would be flooded with calls from people saying '"I wanna cancel me broadband, I'm goin' back to AOL, they don't confuse ya with all this technical crap".
Take it from one who deals with 'ordinary' customers on a day to day basis, sending them Bluetools results every time would do more harm than good. And whether we like it or not, any company these days will only spend their money on doing things the vast majority of customers will find useful.

Nidge
20-11-2004, 10:53

I got put through to India last Sunday morning.