PDA

View Full Version : NTL's 1gig Daily 'Cap'

DanJ
13-11-2004, 17:48
I did a search and read through some extensive threads in regards to this 'cap' and I've also searched google, this site and other numerous sites in regards to NTL's 'cap' however I've been unable to find some basic answers to some questions I have and I've seen other people saying in more recent threads "If NTL start to introduce a CAP" etc so I'm now confused, therefore I'm wondering if anyone could help me out with some answers here.

Is NTL's 30gb 'cap' in place now and if not are there any confirmed, definate plans to introduce one?
If I reach my 1gig daily limit what will happen exactly? Will my connection cease to function until exactly 00.00pm?

I'm curious as I do a lot on the internet and some days I download upwards of 2gb, other days I'll be lucky to reach 300k in a day, however I've yet to see any evidence of a cap on bandwidth limitations, nor have I received any letter from NTL's ridiculously poor customer services department.

Thanks for your time,
Dan

punky
13-11-2004, 17:56
Is NTL's 30gb 'cap' in place now and if not are there any confirmed, definate plans to introduce one?

It is defintely in place and confirmed. It has been in place for a year and a half now.

If I reach my 1gig daily limit what will happen exactly? Will my connection cease to function until exactly 00.00pm?

You are allowed to exceed it twice in any rolling 14 consecutive day period. Exceed it 3 times and NTL will be notified. They have said if you are a persisitent offender, (IE you have to keep doing it, not just a couple of times accidently), then they'll send you a letter advising you to change your internet habits, and how best to do it. They have said they won't automatically disconnect people, or over charge them, but they have indicated recently, they might start getting tougher with disconnecting people from next year.[/quote]

I'm curious as I do a lot on the internet and some days I download upwards of 2gb, other days I'll be lucky to reach 300k in a day, however I've yet to see any evidence of a cap on bandwidth limitations, nor have I received any letter from NTL's ridiculously poor customer services department.

I don't think your low download days come into it. They only know when you overuse the connection. If you use it hard 3 days in a row, I don't think it will satisify them that you have used it gently for a few days before that.

Also, they count from 0:00am midnight to 23:59pm, so the best way to handle big downloads is to split it over that boundary

Florence
13-11-2004, 18:01
:welcome: to Cableforum Dan

When NTL put the 1gig a day in the AUP nobody was informed. Its been there now for a long time. The new packages will have 2mb 30 gig and 3mb 40gig which I personaly think is enough.

The new packages havent had all the information released yet so sit back and wait.

DanJ
13-11-2004, 18:03
It is defintely in place and confirmed. It has been in place for a year and a half now.

You are allowed to exceed it twice in any rolling 14 consecutive day period. Exceed it 3 times and NTL will be notified. They have said if you are a persisitent offender, (IE you have to keep doing it, not just a couple of times accidently), then they'll send you a letter advising you to change your internet habits, and how best to do it. They have said they won't automatically disconnect people, or over charge them, but they have indicated recently, they might start getting tougher with disconnecting people from next year.

I don't think your low download days come into it. They only know when you overuse the connection. If you use it hard 3 days in a row, I don't think it will satisify them that you have used it gently for a few days before that.

Also, they count from 0:00am midnight to 23:59pm, so the best way to handle big downloads is to split it over that boundaryThanks for the 'to the point' post, if I do receive any notification of my "overuse" of the connection I've had for over 4 years with them I'll start searching for alternative ISP's.

I feel sorry for those who are unlucky enough to be stuck in areas that can only receive NTL's services, luckily I have the option of dozens of providers in my area including wireless, I should have switched 2 years ago.

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply, I'll be on my way now :)

DanJ
13-11-2004, 18:07

When NTL put the 1gig a day in the AUP nobody was informed. Its been there now for a long time. The new packages will have 2mb 30 gig and 3mb 40gig which I personaly think is enough.

The new packages havent had all the information released yet so sit back and wait.
Thanks for the :welcome: Kits :D

Yeah I didn't hear a single thing from them, not a single e-mail, letter, nor did any of my bills reflect any changes in my packages (which I thought they would have to do?) guess not.

I've had so many problems with them over the years including random account suspentions due to some extremely bizzare reasons, however I've always put it down to the fact they're a large scale company and I've forgiven them everytime.

I think I'll stop forgiving them for their screw-ups now, I'd rather give £500 a year to a company that has some respect for its customers.

Anyways, cya :)

punky
13-11-2004, 18:09
Thanks for the 'to the point' post, if I do receive any notification of my "overuse" of the connection I've had for over 4 years with them I'll start searching for alternative ISP's.

I feel sorry for those who are unlucky enough to be stuck in areas that can only receive NTL's services, luckily I have the option of dozens of providers in my area including wireless, I should have switched 2 years ago.

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply, I'll be on my way now :)

You are more than welcome to stick around here, we are a nice bunch.

Incidently, As far as we know, noone has been disconnected, even downloading as much as 8-10gig a day. It seems hard enough to get a letter. Don't worry about it so much.

DanJ
13-11-2004, 18:20
You are more than welcome to stick around here, we are a nice bunch.

Incidently, As far as we know, noone has been disconnected, even downloading as much as 8-10gig a day. It seems hard enough to get a letter. Don't worry about it so much.
I frequent a good 20-25 forums a day, I'm sure I can add this one to the list :)

I was a bit worried, however more angry than worried as this is another X to put on a big list of things that have gone wrong with my relationship as a customer with NTL.

By the way, does anyone know why there's a fault in southampton from the 30th of April on the service status page (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/), still?

With the connection outages I have, I tend to frequent that page and can't help but notice it everytime I look there :shocked:

Chris W
13-11-2004, 18:58
I frequent a good 20-25 forums a day, I'm sure I can add this one to the list :)

I was a bit worried, however more angry than worried as this is another X to put on a big list of things that have gone wrong with my relationship as a customer with NTL.

By the way, does anyone know why there's a fault in southampton from the 30th of April on the service status page (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/), still?

With the connection outages I have, I tend to frequent that page and can't help but notice it everytime I look there :shocked:

yes i know :) Do you need to know...?

Basically the network deteriorated and it is taking a lot of time and money to get right... it will be done though :)

Mick
13-11-2004, 19:11

Hi DanJ & Welcome,

Do not get me wrong, but it sounds like you have only just heard about the 1GB per day cap limit, ntl do not necessarily enforce this limit thus its more seen as a guide than a limit, this policy, like punky says - has been around for sometime. (Feb 2003 to be precise)

So after all this time, I do not think there is any need to suddenly start worrying about being contacted, looking at your usage it looks perfectly reasonable. So panic over. :)

paulyoung666
13-11-2004, 19:19

:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd: , 1.5mb 150gb / month would be nice , bye bye :walk:

Swipe
13-11-2004, 19:25
NTL will have to strictly enforce the caps (i.e. charge per GB exceeded) when the upgrades go live otherwise most 750k customers would downgrade to 1Mb and carry on as normal, I know I would.

DanJ
13-11-2004, 19:29
Hi DanJ & Welcome,

Do not get me wrong, but it sounds like you have only just heard about the 1GB per day cap limit, ntl do not necessarily enforce this limit thus its more seen as a guide than a limit, this policy, like punky says - has been around for sometime. (Feb 2003 to be precise)

So after all this time, I do not think there is any need to suddenly start worrying about being contacted, looking at your usage it looks perfectly reasonable. So panic over. :)
Yeah I heard about them "possibly" introducing it quite sometime ago but I never heard anything else about it until today.

MatTman
14-11-2004, 02:13
well ive gone over my 1gb per day cap Persistanly 3 out of every 7 days, quite frankly for 1.5mb boradband 1gb a day is UNREASONABLE!!!

the whole friggin point of high speed connections is to benefit from the High Bandwidth, i stream alot of videos of the net inc alot of Net TV channels and that frequently pushes me way over the limit...
Ntl's reasoning behind there cap is Pathetic, 37.99 a month should give me the right to use it as much as i feel necessary.

fyi i only heard about the Cap from this site, so until NTL decide to enforce it i will use it as much as i want to.

Florence
14-11-2004, 02:42
BT have had caps on their Satellight connection that are much harder than NTLs in some cases these customers are paying nearly £100 a month for fast internet and allowed less than what we have from NTL.

There is a very true saying that there is always someone worse off than you.

Why not wait until all the information is out I am sure it will not seem as bad. Trust me the days of not having limits are coming fast and BT will force the other ISPs to fall inline.

:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd: , 1.5mb 150gb / month would be nice , bye bye :walk:

IMPO you haven't a chance..

Ignition
14-11-2004, 10:34
Stop Stop Stop Stop!!!!!

Enough capping threads already, the guy asked a question, it was answered, job done. No more about the rights and wrongs pretty please this has been covered loads of times and always ends up in the same place with the same people giving the same arguments.

Just ends up with people taking things personally and getting in a stress!