PDA

View Full Version : Central Station cannot be contacted - msg, please help

davidholliss
13-11-2004, 16:25
Hope you can help, Trying to get my PS2 online, using the Automatic NTL setup no problems, sets up OK, run the Diagnostics and again all OK but when trying to connect to Central Station I get as far as Authenticating DNAS Data, then after about 60 seconds;

"Central Station cannot be contacted, Please check your settings and try to connect again"

Is it just timing out or is there a problem ?

Ping info: min. 19.84 / max. 40.19 / avg. 24.36

Tezcatlipoca
13-11-2004, 16:44
:welcome:

Do you use a standalone cable modem (SACM) or a digital TV set-top box (STB) for your ntl broadband connection?

Are you connecting the PS2's network adaptor directly to the SACM/STB, or are you using a router?

What are your PS2's network settings?

davidholliss
13-11-2004, 17:06
realised after I should have posted that info :)

Direct to set top box and no not using a router.

Will post network settings in a minute.

Thanks

PS. I do also reset set top box before connecting it to PS2.

Tezcatlipoca
13-11-2004, 17:12
Ah, an STB. That'll be why.

If you use an STB for your broadband, the MAC address of the device (PC, PS2, whatever) needs to be registered with ntl before you can connect. This is done via a special webpage.

But, as the PS2 doesn't have a web browser, it's made a bit more tricky...

You need to find the MAC address of the PS2's network adaptor, & "clone" that onto your PC's network card. Then, you just register (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg) the PC with ntl, which will actually register the MAC of the PS2.

Then, just reboot the STB & connect the PS2 to it instead.

An easier way, if possible, would be to clone the PC's MAC onto the PS2 instead (as not all network cards let you clone a different MAC onto them) - does the PS2 network adaptor have a MAC cloning function?

Or.....

Just get a cheap router - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005KAC7/qid%3D1095363696/sr%3D1-6/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F3%5F6/026-3234997-7875605

(then you can just connect that to the STB, & both the PC & PS2 to the router. No messing around with anything).

davidholliss
13-11-2004, 18:28
thanks, that asnwers alot, have a router already (but not connected, will try via that later, thought it would complicate things rather than make them simpler :rolleyes: )

thanks for your help.

davidholliss
13-11-2004, 21:59
worked first time, thanks.

Tezcatlipoca
14-11-2004, 15:01
Glad you've got it working :)