PDA

View Full Version : STB back from the dead

mghtheman
19-08-2003, 21:18
Had a problem with STB on Sunday it froze and when power cycled would immediately come up with 8888 and all three lights on.

Called CS who booked an engineer visit at the earliest available date (10 days time would you believe!! No broadband or premium channels :mad: ). I tried powered the box off and tried it 3-4 times since Sunday just in case then gave it up as a dead box.

I've just accidentally switch it on and miraculously the box starts its normal powerup routine; its back from the dead :spin:.

Has anyone any ideas what could cause this? At first I thought it may have overheated but two days to cool down seems a little unlikely. I've not cancelled the engineer yet as I'd hate for the problem to reoccur and go to the back of another 10 day waiting list.

Pritch
19-08-2003, 21:29
8888 usually means that the STB is dead. Very, very dead indeed. I'd keep the tech callout booked as I wouldn't trust it not to die again.

Also, make sure you keep your bedroom door locked at night in case the box develops a taste for brains. I'm told this is very common with the undead.

HornetUK
19-08-2003, 21:36
Is that true then that the less NTL services you have the longer you wait for a tech?

Pritch
19-08-2003, 21:39
Originally posted by HornetUK
Is that true then that the less NTL services you have the longer you wait for a tech?

Nope. If there's a fault tech available in your area, you can have them.

Edit: That sounded dodgy. You know what I meant anyway.

mghtheman
19-08-2003, 22:22
Just re-read my post which was a bit confusing, what I meant was that I do have broadband and premium TV but I lost them when the box died. So I was less than impressed with a 10 day day wait for a tech. After many calls to CS on Sunday/Monday I did get a slightly earlier date of this Saturday.

Does anyone know if the techs all carry spare boxes or could I have to wait again if it needs replacing?

Pritch
19-08-2003, 22:41
The tech will have a plethora of spare boxes in the van.

Lord Nikon
20-08-2003, 01:12
try and get a 2000 series box.....

Also when it is solved, call NTL CS and ask nicely for a gesture. you should get at least a month free for your troubles...

philip.j.fry
20-08-2003, 02:05
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
try and get a 2000 series box.....

Also when it is solved, call NTL CS and ask nicely for a gesture. you should get at least a month free for your troubles...

or at least get the days in which you couldn't access your services taken off your bill

MovedGoalPosts
20-08-2003, 17:41
Once upon a time, I recall there being some sort of customer service promise, as to how long you would go with a fault, and if the time was execceded youd be able to get a compensation payment of £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ per day that it remained unfixed.

It may be that was a Cable & Wireless thing, subsequenlty dropped by ntl 'cos it was costing them too much money.

I suppose there is a balancing act to be done as to how many tech are employed against how long you should wait for one. It's one thing if the customer is unavailable when a tech is, so the appointment is delayed, it's another thing entirely if your always on BB service is off for a number of days.