PDA

View Full Version : Return to NTL

dilli-theclaw
12-11-2004, 14:23
Is there any nice NTL person who can take a look at my old account and see if I am able to take up a broadband offer as a new customer?

I can pm my account number and user name :)

You lovely and amazing ntl people you ;):romance:

scrotnig
12-11-2004, 14:24
Whereabouts are you?

dilli-theclaw
12-11-2004, 14:26
Whereabouts are you?
I'm in bedfordshire...

My tiscali expires next month (well that's when they're getting their 30days notice)- but I'm planning to order NTL now on the 14.99 for three months and get it back at the end of this month (just in case there's a problem).

I'm pretty sure I've been away from ntl for 12months now - is this long enough?

scrotnig
12-11-2004, 14:51
I'm in bedfordshire...

My tiscali expires next month (well that's when they're getting their 30days notice)- but I'm planning to order NTL now on the 14.99 for three months and get it back at the end of this month (just in case there's a problem).

I'm pretty sure I've been away from ntl for 12months now - is this long enough?
You're not in my area, but I am damned sure you'll be able to get the deal. Push for it, but if you end up still struggling get back to me.

dilli-theclaw
12-11-2004, 14:53
You're not in my area, but I am damned sure you'll be able to get the deal. Push for it, but if you end up still struggling get back to me.
Thanks - I'll be calling them up while I'm at work on Monday :D

dilli-theclaw
12-11-2004, 17:04
....I just called :)

I get free phone line (and porting from BT) for three months
Free family pack for a month
and half price (750k) for three months.

It's all being installed on thursday :)

dilli-theclaw
12-11-2004, 18:31
Just a quickie :) - I'm having all this installed in my computer room... I'd like a seperate stb and cablemodem.... Do I get this or will they just put one box in?

Is it just as good via one box?

OOOhhhh I'm almost excited :)

quadplay
12-11-2004, 18:34
AFAIK, all the cabled areas of Bedfordshire are on the Langley network, so you'll get a separate STB and CM. :)

dilli-theclaw
12-11-2004, 18:37
AFAIK, all the cabled areas of Bedfordshire are on the Langley network, so you'll get a separate STB and CM. :)
Thanks - that is good news :)

Bill C
12-11-2004, 19:39
Thanks - that is good news :)

And :welcome: back to the fold :)

dilli-theclaw
12-11-2004, 19:40
And :welcome: back to the fold :)
Thanks I'll be testing it all out on Thursday night - so expect more questions then :D

dilli-theclaw
13-11-2004, 12:06
I just had a phone call from tiscali saying that as I have an adsl line NTL will be unable to port the number from BT and that I should stay with tiscali (albeit at a reduced rate)

I'm pretty sure this is BS - and that Tiscali are just trying to get me to stay.

Any comments please? Is my NTL install in jepordy or should I not worry about it.

scrotnig
13-11-2004, 12:08
I just had a phone call from tiscali saying that as I have an adsl line NTL will be unable to port the number from BT and that I should stay with tiscali (albeit at a reduced rate)

I'm pretty sure this is BS - and that Tiscali are just trying to get me to stay.

Any comments please? Is my NTL install in jepordy or should I not worry about it.
Total crap, and just what I would expect from Tiscali.

It may potentially delay the port a short while, but not long, even that is doubtful as I've NEVER heard of it before.

Tiscali are a far worse company than ntl for this kind of thing.

Allow your ntl install to proceed, the worst case scenario is that if the port isn't set up in time ntl will give you a 'temporary number' which can be changed to the ported one at a later date remotely without an engineer coming out again.

Bill C
13-11-2004, 12:12

First i have heard about it. Phone them back and put them on the spot and ask for it in writing that NTL cannot port the number :), See if they reverse what they said. I'm pretty sure this is BS as well.

dilli-theclaw
13-11-2004, 12:12
Total crap, and just what i would expect from Tiscali.

It may potentially delay the port a short while, but not long, even that is doubtful as I've NEVER heard of it before.

Tiscali are a far worse company than ntl for this kind of thing.
That's what I thought - but thanks for clearing it up :)

They offered me my adsl at £19.99 a month - but to be honest I'm glad I'm coming back to NTL :)

I'm not too fussed about the phone line for a couple of days either to be honest as I'll have my free mins on my mobile to use up :)

dilli-theclaw
13-11-2004, 12:15
First i have heard about it. Phone them back and put them on the spot and ask for it in writing that NTL cannot port the number :), See if they reverse what they said. I'm pretty sure this is BS as well.
I may well do that :)

poolking
13-11-2004, 13:54
What a load of BS. I had an ADSL enabled line with BT before I had NTL put in and I ported my number a couple of years ago without a problem. Seems to me a desperate attempt by Tiscali to keep your custom.

dilli-theclaw
13-11-2004, 13:57
What a load of BS. I had an ADSL enabled line with BT before I had NTL put in and I ported my number a couple of years ago without a problem. Seems to me a desperate attempt by Tiscali to keep your custom.
I think you're right...

It won't work however I'M COMING BACK ;):D

dilli-theclaw
18-11-2004, 13:08
Update...

It all went reasonably well :)

Emails don't work yet (But I use gmail so I'm not fussed)

The installer was polite and a great person :)

The box is wired into my tv card so I've got my tv up here as well.

Now all I have to do is set up the router and I'm all set...

On the whole I'm glad to be back in the world of NTL...

quadplay
18-11-2004, 13:16
Good to hear :tu: :)

homealone
18-11-2004, 13:30
Update...

It all went reasonably well :)

Emails don't work yet (But I use gmail so I'm not fussed)

The installer was polite and a great person :)

The box is wired into my tv card so I've got my tv up here as well.

Now all I have to do is set up the router and I'm all set...

On the whole I'm glad to be back in the world of NTL...

Good news then, dilli - is it just ntl email thats not working? Can you get to your Gmail using POP? :)

dilli-theclaw
18-11-2004, 13:33
Good news then, dilli - is it just ntl email thats not working? Can you get to your Gmail using POP? :) Yup - just the email....

To be honest I've not tried the gmail pop thing yet :)

I'm just about to set up my new wireless router which should keep me busy for a while...

I just did a speed test and it returned 750k spot on :)

The installer didn't think I'd be able to plug the tv box into the computer - but we got there in the end.

edit - the only thing I'm worried about is the state of the card that goes in the digibox:Yikes: It looks like it's been on fire or something - the installer said they all get like that.

homealone
18-11-2004, 13:43
Yup - just the email....

To be honest I've not tried the gmail pop thing yet :)

I'm just about to set up my new wireless router which should keep me busy for a while...

I just did a speed test and it returned 750k spot on :)

The installer didn't think I'd be able to plug the tv box into the computer - but we got there in the end.

edit - the only thing I'm worried about is the state of the card that goes in the digibox:Yikes: It looks like it's been on fire or something - the installer said they all get like that.

I have just recently set Gmail up to download in Outlook Express, I ran the script on the link from the 'new features' tab, & hey presto :tu:

I also plug into a tv card on my pc (Radeon All in Wonder) & it works fine (helps being on analogue, as a second box is cheaper than on digital ;) ).

dilli-theclaw
18-11-2004, 21:15
I have just recently set Gmail up to download in Outlook Express, I ran the script on the link from the 'new features' tab, & hey presto :tu:

I also plug into a tv card on my pc (Radeon All in Wonder) & it works fine (helps being on analogue, as a second box is cheaper than on digital ;) ).
My email is ok now as well :)

I attached a couple of screen shots.... The picture looks a bit fuzzy in the screen shot - but it's ok when I watching it :confused:

It records on the hdd very well tho :)

bopdude
18-11-2004, 21:20
but it's ok when I watching it :confused:

It records on the hdd very well tho :)
So, your a grown man of 27, watching and recording nickleoden....

I like your style :tu: :D

dilli-theclaw
18-11-2004, 21:22
So, your a grown man of 27, watching and recording nickleoden....
I like your style :tu: :D
Just testing guv - um - honest :D

bopdude
18-11-2004, 21:27
Just testing guv - um - honest :D
I belive ya, and i trimmed 2 years off your age to make it look better for you, honest ;) ok I made a mistake :rolleyes:

dilli-theclaw
19-11-2004, 15:53

Guess what - this is the only part of my installation that has hit a hitch :)

I called NTL after being told yesterday by the engineer that it would happen today.

This morning I was still not ported - anyway NTL told me this morning that due to the large number of people being ported it won't happen 'till the 26th

dilli-theclaw
23-11-2004, 23:17
When set up I got given a PACE DI4001NC digibox.

Now in the computer room it's fed into my vcr via scart which is wired into the fileserver. Noticing it had an rf connection on the back I fed that into the TV in my bedroom..

All well and good - good picture and everything:)

I'd like to use my remote from the other room. What is the cheapest way to do this?

I noticed after searching that some pace boxes won't work with a standard ir remote extender kit - does this apply to my pace box?

Cheers in advance - Dilligaf

quadplay
23-11-2004, 23:47
All remotes used in Langley areas (of which Sandy is one) are standard IR, so any remote extender will do the trick! Argos do them for <£20, I think. :)

dilli-theclaw
23-11-2004, 23:51
All remotes used in Langley areas (of which Sandy is one) are standard IR, so any remote extender will do the trick! Argos do them for <£20, I think. :)
Thanks - I will try to find a nice cheap one then :)

dilli-theclaw
31-12-2004, 20:10
...and the final piece of the setup.

BT sent me a cheque for £108 this morning :)

Nice late xmas pressy :)

scrotnig
31-12-2004, 21:32
...and the final piece of the setup.

BT sent me a cheque for £108 this morning :)

Nice late xmas pressy :)
BT are always scrupulously honest with this sort of thing I have found.

I have a second phone line them, a year or so back I wrote to them as there was a third party ISP (LineOne/Tiscali) who were still billing me for Surftime which I had been trying to cancel for ages - you have to cancel these via the ISP not BT.

BT not only cancelled it, but looked up the last time I'd diallled the number and backdated the charges nearly seven months. They then claimed these back off the ISP on my behalf.

dilli-theclaw
15-05-2006, 23:19
So I'm getting the TV service back on weds.... Is it still the case that you can only have a seperate modem and tv box (here in sunny bedfordshire)? Because the person on the phone said I could have my internet coming out of my box if I wanted it.... So I said yes please.

And..... Does anyone know if I'm likely to get a pace or a newer samsung box?

Thanks in advance - Dilli :)

Bob
16-05-2006, 10:18
It all depends on what the installer will have in his van. Fingers crossed you get a Samsung :)

Is Bedfordshire Langley? Edit: Oh it is - just read some of the post more thoroughly above. Therefore I would assume you would get a SACM, although don't quote me :)

dilli-theclaw
16-05-2006, 10:41
It all depends on what the installer will have in his van. Fingers crossed you get a Samsung :)

Is Bedfordshire Langley? Edit: Oh it is - just read some of the post more thoroughly above. Therefore I would assume you would get a SACM, although don't quote me :)Thanks :):tu:

dilli-theclaw
17-05-2006, 11:06
They have just been and gone - they turned up at 10.30 instead of 'after 12' so it's just as well I was here :)

I got a new samsung box. But it doesn't look like my dad's samsung box so I guess it's an updated model.

user2006
17-05-2006, 11:49
It may be that you have the new samsung box with the black buttons and optical out on the back, Can you post a pic ?

The new samsung box is being discussed in the cable tv section.

dilli-theclaw
17-05-2006, 11:54
It may be that you have the new samsung box with the black buttons and optical out on the back, Can you post a pic ?

The new samsung box is being discussed in the cable tv section.IT does indeed have black buttons on the front and an optical out on the back. It is the one that is being discussed here...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=43634

UncleBooBoo
17-05-2006, 12:24
That is one ugly box!

orangebird
17-05-2006, 12:56
IT does indeed have black buttons on the front and an optical out on the back. It is the one that is being discussed here...

Aaahh, cute (cat?) drawing on the wall behind! :D

dilli-theclaw
17-05-2006, 13:43
IT does indeed have black buttons on the front and an optical out on the back. It is the one that is being discussed here...

Aaahh, cute (cat?) drawing on the wall behind! :DIt is indeed out cat :)

---------- Post added at 13:43 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

That is one ugly box!Do you think so? - MMMmmm I don't really mind as long as it works better than the last one I had.

Loop
18-05-2006, 16:31
ntl put me a samsung box in 27 april and took it out 1 week later has the engineer said they is problem has they dont seem to recive the signals properly, so he put an pace one in now i get all my channels now after a week without more then 4 channels and no refund either

dilli-theclaw
18-05-2006, 18:03
I'm glad you managed to get a pace box that works properly. I had 4 or 5 pace boxes and all of them were utter poo.

At the mearest hint of me doing anything silly like turning over the channels or god forbid pressing the red button I'd have to pull the mains to reset the box to get it to work again.

Mind you at least it kept the room warm so it wasn't all bad :)