PDA

View Full Version : Blueyonder speed increases (again)

Tristan
12-11-2004, 13:57
Well, the last thread got closed, but shall we try again?

I write this from the unique position of using both NTL and Telewest for internet services (and TV and telephone, but that's not relevant here). My verdict is this: Telewest have disappointed me greatly by not matching NTL.

For £25 a month, NTL will soon give me a 2Mbit connection. For the same amount of money, TW will offer just half that speed. Even worse, for £18 a month, NTL are offering a connection *four times faster* than Telewest's equivalently-priced offering. And yet, incredibly, some people on here are defending Telewest!

Please can someone explain to me how something offering a fraction of the speed for the same price can be considered a superior product?

(N.B. Like the vast majority of users, I couldn't give a toss about "caps" -- I simply don't download enough. In fact, I welcome them: if it keeps the high up- and downloaders off the service, then it keeps it nice and brisk for me.)

Paul
12-11-2004, 14:18
* waits for the battle to commence again .... :disturbd:

eshaq786
12-11-2004, 15:02
i was writing a very long post then it dissapeared because it said i wasnt logged in when i tried to post so here is a short version of my post:

free upgrades+no capping=better service=telewest
charged upgrades+capped services=angry customers=ntl

!

Tristan
12-11-2004, 15:52
The £25 upgrade fee isn't the end of the world, particularly when (as in my case) it will mean I get a nice new Samsung STB, and it means your current speed is being at least doubled.

I'm afraid capping is going to be a reality for all ISPs sooner or later. Telewest are resisting for now, because they've seen the backlash NTL have had to suffer, but they will in time.

And in any case, considering I'm unlikely to ever break the cap by a large margin, I'd far rather have 2Mbit than 1Mbit, for the same money...

eshaq786
12-11-2004, 15:57
if i had the limit then i would often break it since im always downloading and upload. my pc never is turned off and i also have a home network so if im not using the connection then someone else is. when i had 512k with telewest i regularly did 30gb a month. with 750k i did 50b a month and with 1mb i will do even more.

JohnHorb
12-11-2004, 19:27
Any chance of this thread dying on its own, or will it have to be closed again? (This is getting boring zzzzzz)

Chrysalis
25-11-2004, 22:31
reference the admin fee it might be considered good value for those who get a new STB but for those who already have capable hardware it's not so good value.

danielf
25-11-2004, 22:34
reference the admin fee it might be considered good value for those who get a new STB but for those who already have capable hardware it's not so good value.

:zzz: :dozey:

OinkyBoinky
22-12-2004, 20:12
For NTL Customers... there will be an option not to pay the £25 and stay on the old slower speeds? with the 1gb "cap" won there?

Mauldor
22-12-2004, 23:12
* waits for the battle to commence again .... :disturbd:
I think paul the majority are ignoring the CAP threads now (thank god he says) as proven its gets nobody anywhere etc....

IN ref to the post though, i honestly would preffer Telewest as I have delt with them (not as a customer) and personally think they just better then my experiences with NTL.

Do Telewest not offer now 4mbit? for £50 or something - thats £50 I was paying at one point on NTL for 1 mbit... hmmm, In fact now it costs £37.99 for 1.5mbit... but i cannot get Telwest - so stuck with what i have for now..

jtwn
23-12-2004, 01:34
It all comes down to personal preference;

If you download alot (i'm trying to refrain from saying excessively...) and need 'unlimited usage' then tw is for you.

Otherwise you can save yourself a stash and go with ntl if you don't go overboard (though i do think the caps should be raised higher for the top tier). I guess if you just live in the wrong region to your preference its too bad, take a look at some of the other lesser offerings of ADSL.

SMHarman
23-12-2004, 01:48
It all comes down to personal preference;

If you download alot (i'm trying to refrain from saying excessively...) and need 'unlimited usage' then tw is for you.

Otherwise you can save yourself a stash and go with ntl if you don't go overboard (though i do think the caps should be raised higher for the top tier). I guess if you just live in the wrong region to your preference its too bad, take a look at some of the other lesser offerings of ADSL.
Unfortunately NTL and Telewest are mutually exclusive.

jtwn
23-12-2004, 12:29
I guess if you just live in the wrong region to your preference its too bad, take a look at some of the other lesser offerings of ADSL.

;)

Toto
23-12-2004, 12:48
I'm sure that if ntl and Telewest do merge, there will be a meeting of "minds" in terms of the service tiers available. Suffice to say both networks need to compete with the ADSL suppliers in their networked regions, hence the speed over price increases.

I know I won't be moving to a Telewest area for greater speed, but I do know that if I am unhppy with my current supplier, I can cross over to a different broadband platform.

Toto
23-12-2004, 12:51
For NTL Customers... there will be an option not to pay the £25 and stay on the old slower speeds? with the 1gb "cap" won there?
I believe you are correct, yes. :tu:

Dobby
14-07-2005, 07:44
aren't TW & NTL a partner ship as on the NTL website they show TW offers and the same going back the other way.
;)