PDA

View Full Version : Manually adding network settings

slowcoach
11-11-2004, 21:38
I am using SACM (Ethernet).

Instead of having the network settings set to Obtain IP/DNS address automatically is there any good reason why I should not enter these settings manually, the reason I ask is that if they are set manually the Internet appears to be more responsive/less latency.

I appreciate that settings would have to be altered if the IP Address changed but I was wondering if anything else within the system will affect my connection at any time if I do enter the settings manually.

With BT ADSL I always used to set the network settings manually and experienced no problems running 24/7 but I wondered if NTL Cable was different.

If in doubt, ask the experts......:confused:

JohnHorb
11-11-2004, 22:49
I'd wait for some NTL bod to come by to confirm, but I suspect that if you set these manually, there will be nothing to renew your (DHCP) lease on the IP address, so it may become released and leased to someone else.

Steve H
11-11-2004, 23:01
Can't see why you should experiance less latency and responsivness by having it set to obtain automatically :confused:.. The only difference being is that your computer automatically obtains an IP addy and a DNS addy itself.. shouldn't experiance any other side effects from having it set this way. :shrug:

slowcoach
11-11-2004, 23:13
Thanks John,

I think I had a problem losing connection when the lease expired once, but can't be sure, cetainly doesn't lose connection every time the lease expires. I would have thought that the Cable network system would be similar to the ADSL network but I will wait and see if this is specific to Cable or NTL or if I was just lucky with ADSL.

slowcoach
11-11-2004, 23:34
Can't see why you should experiance less latency and responsivness by having it set to obtain automatically :confused:.. The only difference being is that your computer automatically obtains an IP addy and a DNS addy itself.. shouldn't experiance any other side effects from having it set this way. :shrug:I tried using robin walker's speedtest and while manual settings would produce something like
1st 128K took 721 ms = 181792 Bytes/sec = approx 1513 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 721 ms = 181792 Bytes/sec = approx 1513 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 721 ms = 181792 Bytes/sec = approx 1513 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 721 ms = 181792 Bytes/sec = approx 1513 kbits/sec

On automatic 1st = approx 300/400 kbits/sec
with the rest at >1500 kbits/sec
Also on automatic web pages loaded slower, however, I have just run the test again and this time I got identical results in both manual and automatic.
Originally something else was obviously entering the equation.

Thanks for the help, I will leave the settings on automatic to be on the safe side seeing as they don't detract in any way.