PDA

View Full Version : Construction issues?

blokey
08-11-2004, 12:57
Hi there, I was just wondering with all the knowledgeable people in this forum if someone can give me some advice. I've just moved out of my house with cable and telephone package with ntl and i've moved into a flat above a shop. There is a small CATV cover outside the shop and CATV manholes around so I phoned up to have my service moved over. I wanted telephone moved, broadband and possibly some Cable TV (Central Leamington TV reception is awful!!). I was told by the disconnection guys that this wasn't possible at all but I wasn't so sure so I phone new connections and i was told there was a construction issue. Can anybody spread any light on this for me. They said they would be phoning back but i'll have to wait on that (how long nobody knows :) ). Everything seems to be in place, they should just have to run a drop cable down the wall to the green box. I may be wrong, any ideas?
Cheers
Blokey

MovedGoalPosts
08-11-2004, 13:24
It's quite possible that the freeholder or other leaseholders (perhaps the shop occupier) of the building has refused ntl permission to run their cables through common parts or on the outside of the building. Essentially to get cables to your flat, ntl need an easement (legal right) to allow the cables to be passed through or round parts of the building that are not in your control.

It's that, or ntl just don't want to make the effort to get your custom.

blokey
08-11-2004, 13:33
Naah, it's definately not that! I'm the manager of the shop and the owner wants me to get broadband access asap. Obviously I'd like to keep my phone number etc for the flat.

ian@huth
08-11-2004, 13:35
A lot can depend on when the original cabling was put in, what usage the original system was designed for and whether there is any spare capacity available. Some areas were originally designed to provide only about 50 TV channels and the equiment tailored to suit projected needs, often based on existing Canadian systems. These requirements were soon discovered to be far from the truth but with cablecos changing hands once or twice they were never upgraded and finance to upgrade them now is not readily available. These areas can be subscribed to the limit available and major construction is needed to upgrade them.

blokey
08-11-2004, 14:11
Another good answer, but it's just down the road from my old place and that had Digital Cable ok so I doubt it's network related. There has recently been some new flats built further down and the neighbours have been telling me that ntl have been pushing their service big time so it seems all is in place. I suppose it could be lack of capacity in the box but even that is unlikely as the road is a parade of shops few which are connected. But you never know!! :) If anyone could a have a deeper look at what is going on i'll pm them my postcode. Cheers again

Blokey