PDA

View Full Version : Connected NTL phone line connnected in error- refusing to disconnect

davefarthing
07-11-2004, 22:17
Hi,

Please help - I am at the verge of despair.

Two months ago my mother returned home to find a note through her door informaing her that even though she wasn't home her NTL phone line had been connected andd was ready for use. Two BIG problems:-

1- MY MUM NEVER ORDERED A PHONE LINE TO BE CONNECTED
2- THE PERSON WHO DID DOESN'T AND NEVER HAS LIVED AT THE ADDRESS.

Now NTL the inconsiderate (will not swear but feel like it) ******* will not disconnect the line and keep sending bills and reminders.

They had passed the case to their fraud team who decided that it wasn't fraud and that it was down to my mum to prove that the account holder doesn't live at the address, however you do that!?.

After speaking to customer services, a supervisor and the fraud team rep. the line is still active with bills rolling in. Offcom aren't interested and the line is still active.

I suspect the line was supposed to be connected to another house in the street but was connected to my mums house in error using her old NTL hook up .

My mums biggest concern is that the bills wont be paid and bailifs will turn up or at the very least bad credit be registered against the address.

What more can we do?

On top of losing her husband this year NTL are driving her to tears (literally).

Please help, any suggestions will be thankfully received.

TIA

Dave

Tezcatlipoca
07-11-2004, 22:22
:welcome:

What a ridiculous situation. No wonder your mother is getting stressed about it.

You could try contacting one or more of the people in charge of ntl: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=28 (e.g. the MD for your region & the Director of Telephony, & maybe even later the CEO if you don't get anywhere with anyone else)

Also, there are many very helpful ntl employees who post here at CF. Hopefully someone will be able to help you. Which are do you live in?

davefarthing
07-11-2004, 22:39
Useful contacts - thanks. She lives in Farnborough, Hants.

Shaun
07-11-2004, 22:55
Don't open the bills and post them back to Ntl with a note saying that there is no one of that name at this address.

They'll soon close the account when it doesn't get paid. As for the bailiffs, the account may be registered at the address but only in the name of the account holder and will NOT affect your MUM

If they won't listen to you there is little else you can do.

HTH

Sipowicz
07-11-2004, 23:42
Another case for the "Unsolicited goods and services Act of 1971 (as amended)" - It is an offence to ask for payment for a good or service that you never ordered. I would politely write to NTL informing them that she never requested the service and that unless the cease requesting payment, she will refer the matter to her Local Trading Standards office and quote the above Act of Parliament. If they continue, contact Trading Standards and the will take over. For more info, just Google "Unsolicited goods" you will get a hit on the Dept of Trade and a link to the Act.

stewie
08-11-2004, 22:37
how did they get in the house to connect the line?

if they went on HER property and put one of the brown/cream boxes on the wall, i`d see a solicitor for damage and tresspass!!! i mean YOU can`t go to an NTL office and start drilling on there wall without the police being called!!

she didn`t ask for the line, she didn`t sign a contract? so NTl don`t have a leg to stand on, there just shafting for more money.

Motorman
08-11-2004, 23:17
how did they get in the house to connect the line?

The installers wouldnt need access to her property to reconnect the phone line.
They can reconnect it 'Live to omni'.
This means re-connecting the wiring from the base unit (Green box on street corner).
They do this quite often as;
Customers dont need to be present at an install ( which most people find convenient)
and ntl save money on unnecessary callouts.So this way benefits all parties-usually.

i`d see a solicitor for damage and tresspass!!!
The person at the property who initially had the services installed (it sounds like a reconnect remember) would have signed a wayleave.
This gives express permission for the cable company (C&W, ntl or whoever will own the network next) to do pretty much whatever they like to install and maintain their apparatus.

she didn`t ask for the line, she didn`t sign a contract? so NTl don`t have a leg to stand on, there just shafting for more money

Youre right. Its probably a mistake. Someone in the street has ordered cable, and are still waiting for it to arrive, and are cursing ntl, because they said they would be round 3 weeks ago.

Try asking for the Customer Relations Dept, I think tia and Dave are in the South Central region. Once you got through to customer services, ask to speak to someone who has the authority to just close this account down.

There are people who work at ntl who care passionatelty about their work and would not let this happen. (not many, but there are a few)

Chris W
08-11-2004, 23:28
I hope your mum is not opening any post that is addressed to anyone else because that would means she is committing a criminal offence ;)

ian@huth
09-11-2004, 00:10
Are the bills just for line rental or are there calls being charged on them?

Shaun
09-11-2004, 01:57
Are the bills just for line rental or are there calls being charged on them?

If the bills aren't in the householders name they shouldn't open them, it's against the law.

Like I said the best thing to do it to ignore the whole situation :)

poolking
09-11-2004, 06:41
If the bills aren't in the householders name they shouldn't open them, it's against the law.

Like I said the best thing to do it to ignore the whole situation :)
But something will have to be done, what if NTL put any arrears on the credit file? These credit files go against the property and not the individual then you have the hassle of trying to get the incorrect entries removed.

Shaun
09-11-2004, 08:42
But something will have to be done, what if NTL put any arrears on the credit file? These credit files go against the property and not the individual then you have the hassle of trying to get the incorrect entries removed.

Thats a common misconception, they are registered against an individual not a property, if the account is in someone else's name it can't affect the other people at that address. :)

poolking
09-11-2004, 08:49
Thats a common misconception, they are registered against an individual not a property, if the account is in someone else's name it can't affect the other people at that address. :)
Unless the way they do credit files has changed, you normally have to disassociate yourself from the debt on file.

Stuart
09-11-2004, 10:10
If the individual can prove themselves to be financially independant of those in debt, then you are right (I had to do this), otherwise the debt is tied to the property. Unless it has changed in the last ten years.

Shaun
09-11-2004, 10:25
If the individual can prove themselves to be financially independant of those in debt, then you are right (I had to do this), otherwise the debt is tied to the property. Unless it has changed in the last ten years.

Where's Bex to reassure me?

I was taught at Abbey (about 3 years ago) that it was registered against the person. I believe the rules were changed as there was a lot of trouble over people living with their parents getting into debit and then this information being passed to the parents when they got declined for credit. I'll have a Google.

As for this situation, if the householder has opened post addressed to someone else (which I assume they have to know who and what is being charged) then they have broken the law. the best policy is to always return the post to the sender UNOPENED. That way you aren't putting yourself in a difficult position. :(

Edit - Can't find the article I'm after, but this is from the Experian site :)

http://www.uk.experian.com/consumer/index.html

Dear Jill,
I am in the Forces and frequently move houses usually about every two years. When applying for loans or credit, I have to give previous addresses for the last five years. The only problem is that I have no control over what the people before us in the houses did with their credit history. Is it true that companies use addresses to check for credit history and if this is so, how do I ensure that I am not penalised for moving into a house that has a dodgy past?
Andy, Warminster

Dear Andy,
You needn't worry. Lenders do not check addresses, they check individuals and it is only your creditworthiness they're interested in and only your information at past addresses that they see when you apply for credit. People who live or have lived at your previous addresses cannot affect your creditworthiness. People who move a lot sometimes get a lower credit score than those who stay in one place, though, so it's worth pointing out that your are in the Forces and this is the reason for your frequent address changes. And make sure you register to vote because that is one of the ways lenders check your identity and that the previous address details you give are accurate.

Edit #2 - Even better explination :)

Dear Jill,
I have discovered that a man is using my address and has defaulted on some borrowing obtained using my address. Please advise me how to:

a) stop him affecting my credit rating ;

b) set up a credit alert so he is unable to use my address again for further credit;

c) make sure that any other lenders he has obtained credit from are advised of the current situation.

Jane, Shoreham by Sea

Dear Jane,
This must be very worrying for you. The good news is that this man (whose name you gave me) cannot affect your credit score unless you are financially linked to him, which I assume you are not. I presume that he does not live at your address and I really think that you should report the matter to the police. Return all mail to him clearly marked 'Return to sender. Not at this address'. Don't open it, but find out what companies are writing to him from the envelopes and contact one of them. Ask to speak to the fraud department and ask them to post a CIFAS warning with the credit reference agencies. This warning will appear on your credit report but will not penalise you or suggest that you are in any way involved in the fraud. But it should stop this man from using your address any more. September 2004

http://www.uk.experian.com/consumer/index.html

Stuart
09-11-2004, 10:37
Where's Bex to reassure me?

I was taught at Abbey (about 3 years ago) that it was registered against the person. I believe the rules were changed as there was a lot of trouble over people living with their parents getting into debit and then this information being passed to the parents when they got declined for credit. I'll have a Google.
You are possibly right. As I said, I had to do it ten years ago now..

As for this situation, if the householder has opened post addressed to someone else (which I assume they have to know who and what is being charged) then they have broken the law. the best policy is to always return the post to the sender UNOPENED. That way you aren't putting yourself in a difficult position. :(
Also true..

Shaun
09-11-2004, 10:41
You are possibly right. As I said, I had to do it ten years ago now..

Edited my original post :)

Stuart
09-11-2004, 11:24
Edited my original post :):D Actually, looking at the second quote, even now I would possibly have to prove financial independance from the person concerned.

Having said that, and this bit is :notopic:, credit histories can be hit & miss anyway. When I first got a mobile phone, I went to The Link in Charing Cross station. They did a credit check with Experian (apparently) and I was refused. I then got the train to Bromley, went in to The Link, they did a credit check with Experian and I was given a contract.

steven_azari
17-11-2004, 20:02
if the bills arent in your name, dont open them.

Phone NTL CSR, (Hopefully me :) ) and say that the person doesnt live there.

if the account IS registered to your mum, then there would need to be proof that she did ask for it (we have records of when it was created and by who.

I feel sorry for your mum, I hope it all comes out ok - Im sure it will, if its not your mum's name on it - your fine :)

all the best mate!