PDA

View Full Version : phantom spec revealed

kronas
19-08-2003, 04:02
the machine will go on sale in the 1st quarter of 2004 in the US (estimated timeframe)

it will be based on windows xp (cool more hacking to be done then :D )

the processer will be 3ghz a NVIDIA graphics card and a 100gb hard drive 256mb of ram

but the console itself will NOT have a cd/dvd drive as games will have to be downloaded via a broadband internet connection

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2207229.stm

Xaccers
19-08-2003, 04:04
how long after it's release do you think it will be before someone mods it to take CD/DVD's? :)

Lord Nikon
19-08-2003, 04:44
How long after it launches do you think the company will realise that no CD/DVD is a BAD idea? (games as gifts, taking games to play at a friend's etc etc etc, not to mention the loss of games if the hard drive crashes....)

Russ
19-08-2003, 08:52
Didn't Nintendo find out the hard way with their N64 that having no CD ROM is a big no-no?

ic14
19-08-2003, 13:17
fore the company dies?Not that long i bet

Richard M
19-08-2003, 13:28
I think it will work nicely with the broadband download option, much better than CDs.
It's the future! :p

Steve H
19-08-2003, 14:01
Originally posted by Roger K
I think it will work nicely with the broadband download option, much better than CDs.
It's the future! :p

Especially with NTL :p

kronas
19-08-2003, 15:06
i think its a bad idea not having a cd/dvd drive you can only fit so much on a hard drive why dont compaines ever learn :rolleyes:

Ramrod
19-08-2003, 15:19
It looks good:)

Richard M
19-08-2003, 15:33
Originally posted by kronas
i think its a bad idea not having a cd/dvd drive you can only fit so much on a hard drive why dont compaines ever learn :rolleyes:

Yeah, whatever...how many games can you fit on a 100GB PC hard drive.
Around 100-200?

Who has over 100 games for their PC, PS2 or Xbox?
Not many.

kronas
19-08-2003, 15:45
Yeah, whatever...how many games can you fit on a 100GB PC hard drive.
Around 100-200?

it depends you have to d/l it then install it i assume so it will take up quite a bit of space

Who has over 100 games for their PC, PS2 or Xbox?
Not many.

i know of many people who have all or some of those and have quite alot of games but sooner or later you will run out of space what if you dont want to delete the stuff currently on your hd ?

Bifta
19-08-2003, 15:56
Downloading games? Bugger that, they've instantly ruled out anyone without a broadband connection on top of which, modern games require hefty downloads, PS2, Xbox and PC ISO's are HUGE, who wants to sit around for hours waiting for a new game to download? (not me!)

Richard M
19-08-2003, 15:58
Everyone should have broadband, sorry but that's my opinion.

In the next few years, 10MBit connections will (I hope) be commonplace as games will start to exceed 5GB in size for high res textures etc...

Dupre
19-08-2003, 16:48
OMG... this thing is a glorified PC, if youve read the stats on the site, youd know it plays PC games and POSSIBLY Xbox. so you're gonna pay £300 for a PC that doesnt have a DVD drive, or many upgrade options.

Also, it has USB so external DVD will be possible as its using XP.

If you want a PC Console, but a shuttle system, whack in a DVD and an Audigy 2 or equivalent sound card and you have cinema system as well as games beast.

Bifta
19-08-2003, 16:51
Everyone should have broadband, sorry but that's my opinion.

In the next few years, 10MBit connections will (I hope) be commonplace as games will start to exceed 5GB in size for high res textures etc...

in the next "few" years? Dream on. 1 meg isn't even commonplace yet, I doubt 10Mbit lines will be common for a long, LONG time to come. I agree that everyone "should" have broadband but for some it's either too expensive or just not available to them (unless they spend a wheelbarrow load of cash on a Satellite install). Also with this exceptionally crap idea of downloading games to your console, what happens when more ISP's start capping their connections? Will you have to download your game over a period of 5+ days? pffft. I think I'll stick to my PC and Electronics Boutique/Game

Bifta
19-08-2003, 16:52
Originally posted by Dupre
Also, it has USB so external DVD will be possible as its using XP.

If an external DVD drive requires drivers you're f*cked though ... and who's to say they won't cripple the OS to prevent external drives being added?

kronas
20-08-2003, 03:46
more info details

Custom OS running Windows XP kernel
3.0GHz processor
256MB DDR RAM
Nvidia video card
Intel motherboard
Dolby Digital 7.1 surround sound
100GB+ internal storage
Onboard RF wireless modules
S-video, RCA, component video, and PAL support