PDA

View Full Version : New net banking threat

Ramrod
07-11-2004, 08:58
Link (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,1345231,00.html)
last week, Messagelabs, an email security firm, revealed that it had discovered a new phishing technique that does not even require the victim to click on an email-borne link. Simply opening the message is sufficient. Doing so triggers a covert script that rewrites the host files of the victims' computers - so the next time they attempt to legitimately access their accounts they are automatically redirected to a fraudulent website. So far, Messagelabs has only intercepted copies of emails targeting Brazilian banks, but I'm willing to bet that customers of Barclays, Lloyds TSB, Natwest and HSBC will be getting them soon.
More here (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/0,2000061744,39165418,00.htm)this first iteration of such a covert phishing technique will only affect users who have Windows Scripting Host enabled and certain ActiveX controls and he believes the majority of users with up to date patches, or the most recent versions of Outlook, where such features are switched off as standard, will be protected.
Bluddy 'ell :dozey:

Halcyon
07-11-2004, 12:32
Another reason to avoid Internet Banking.

punky
07-11-2004, 12:44
About time I switched to Thunderbird, I think...

Alan Waddington
07-11-2004, 12:58
Best to turn off scripting really.

http://www.sophos.com/support/wsh.html

Alan

danielf
07-11-2004, 13:02
Best to turn off scripting really.

http://www.sophos.com/support/wsh.html

Alan

What does it do? (I mean what is scripting needed for?)

kronas
11-11-2004, 19:05
Banker-AJ Trojan is the new worm plaguing internet banking, once installed on a users machine it will then lay dormant untill a user accesses thier online banking facility, the trojan initiates, intercepting passwords/details, also screenshots and sends them to a location.

source: news.com.com

http://news.com.com/Trojan+horse+spies+on+Web+banking/2100-7349_3-5448622.html?part=rss&tag=5448622&subj=news.7349.20

Escapee
11-11-2004, 19:11
I have just deleted one off my PC, none of the anti virus/trojan sites reported it on checking my PC.

I have copied it to floppy to take to on of the guys in work tomorrow, viruses are his pastime. Not writing them but looking to see how they work!

I think this one is very amateurish, I copied it to a file and then tried to run it and it installed itself into the windows program directory and then deleted itself from the floppy. I had to re-boot in safe mode to delete it as it said windows required it, and it wouldn't let me delete it.

I think it's just some amateur attempt. ;)

kronas
11-11-2004, 19:18
out of interest, what site was it that detected the trojan escapee ?

Escapee
11-11-2004, 23:48
out of interest, what site was it that detected the trojan escapee ?

None !!!!!

My firewall reported it and I had to find it myself. I have searched about and found no reference to the .exe file that it was trying to run. I thought it was a new version of sasser virus, but I think it's something crudely written by an amateur. I will let you know what the guys in work say about it.

It was attempting to connect to 4 different IP addresses, I have my suspicions about where it originated from!

kronas
11-11-2004, 23:52
ok, very strange indeed possibly a targeted and co-ordinated attack.

themelon
12-11-2004, 07:46
To be fair its not only Internet Banking that is at threat, Around here recently Cash Machines have been attacked with 'Skimming Devices' they copy your cards magnetic strip and have a small camera to record your pin number.......So you cant even bloody use them.

Seems the only safe way to get your money is to go into banks...and even then a memeber of the criminal underclass might serve you.

Looks like banks need to look into Finger Print or Retina Technologies.

To many Theiving Scumbags in the world, when we catch them all, we should put them on a ****ty Island we dont need and nuke the Scumbage *******s!

As you can tell I dont like them very much ;) :D

Chimaera
12-11-2004, 08:55
How about getting your cash from the supermarket till - cashback? I usually get my money this way - well at least I am surrounded by loads of people at the checkout, I can't imagine that criminals can infiltrate the tills of M&S! :D
Sorry to go a bit :notopic: :)

MetaWraith
12-11-2004, 10:25
How about getting your cash from the supermarket till - cashback? I usually get my money this way - well at least I am surrounded by loads of people at the checkout, I can't imagine that criminals can infiltrate the tills of M&S! :D
I mentioned doing this waaaaaaaayyyyyy back in here
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=249075&postcount=12

altis
12-11-2004, 10:30
I have set up a separate partition just for doing banking. None of my other boot configurations can see this partition and it can't see anything else so, in effect, it's a completely separate computer. Then I make sure I never visit any other sites from the banking partition. My personal bank requires (aagh!) me to use IE so I've set it up with the most secure config and there is no other software installed.

Yes, it's a pain having to reboot the computer to go in and out of banking but this doesn't take long and it provides emense peace of mind.

Chris
12-11-2004, 10:31
That's fine until you get served by an unscrupulous checkout operator who's using the till to record your card details for later use on a cloned card (this happened to us recently). Fortunately chip and pin will pretty much eliminate that revenue stream for the thieves though.

MetaWraith
12-11-2004, 10:38
I have set up a separate partition just for doing banking. None of my other boot configurations can see this partition and it can't see anything else so, in effect, it's a completely separate computer. Then I make sure I never visit any other sites from the banking partition. My personal bank requires (aagh!) me to use IE so I've set it up with the most secure config and there is no other software installed.

Yes, it's a pain having to reboot the computer to go in and out of banking but this doesn't take long and it provides emense peace of mind.
Hmmmmmm that's a good idea, good enough that it might make me reconsider online banking. :tu:

Chimaera
12-11-2004, 10:52
That's fine until you get served by an unscrupulous checkout operator who's using the till to record your card details for later use on a cloned card (this happened to us recently). Fortunately chip and pin will pretty much eliminate that revenue stream for the thieves though.
:disturbd: Never thought of that one Chris - perhaps I should just take all this as a sign that I should stop spending money! :D
:idea: Oh and must start remembering all those chip and Pin numbers! :spin:

JohnHorb
12-11-2004, 19:41
Another idea, to get around any trojans which update the 'hosts' file, might be to determine the ip address of the banks secure logon page, and access via ip address rather than URL. Not tried it yet, but it should work, and I might try it next logon.

kronas
12-11-2004, 20:20
Fortunately chip and pin will pretty much eliminate that revenue stream for the thieves though.

at the moment shops have the ability to allow transactions to be accepted without a pin number. :erm:

daxx
12-11-2004, 20:35
at the moment shops have the ability to allow transactions to be accepted without a pin number. :erm:
but shops with a 'chip and pin' terminal will ask you to use the terminal first and demand other ID if you 'can't remember' your pin, photo ID in this area mainly, unless you are a regular in the shop and have been for a few years

JohnHorb
12-11-2004, 20:38
but shops with a 'chip and pin' terminal will ask you to use the terminal first and demand other ID if you 'can't remember' your pin, photo ID in this area mainly, unless you are a regular in the shop and have been for a few years
News to me - whenever I've been into a shop with a 'Chip and Pin' terminal recently, I've simply ignored it (I haven't yet memorised my pin), handed over my card, and signed in the 'time-honoured' manner.

dilli-theclaw
12-11-2004, 20:39
In the pub where Buxom Woman works the machine will not let them swipe the card anymore.... If the customer doesn't know their pin they have to put the transaction through manually (via phone)...

p.s. I got chip and pinned in woolies yesterday when I bought shrek 2.... I'm STILL not convinced that no one could see me putting my pin in.

dilli-theclaw
12-11-2004, 20:39
News to me - whenever I've been into a shop with a 'Chip and Pin' terminal recently, I've simply ignored it (I haven't yet memorised my pin), handed over my card, and signed in the 'time-honoured' manner.
I thought the actual changeover point was january 1st?

danielf
12-11-2004, 22:56

Have you never used this card at a cashpoint then?

At my local Tesco, staff seem surprised I know my pin. I've been using my pin at the cash point for years. What's the big deal using/remembering it in a shop? :confused:

kronas
13-11-2004, 02:29
At my local Tesco, staff seem surprised I know my pin. I've been using my pin at the cash point for years. What's the big deal using/remembering it in a shop? :confused:

its the fact that you remembered your pin at all, in my experiance alot of people forget/dont know/dont care what their pin is.

dragon
03-12-2004, 06:59
i guess thunderbird isnt affected by this exploit? as it doesnt support activex?

I try to avoid using outlook / i.e when i can in favor of thunderbird and firefox.

btw thunderbird 1.0 RC1 is out even if it doesnt say so yet on mozilla.org but its on their ftp.

Paul
03-12-2004, 09:27
its the fact that you remembered your pin at all, in my experiance alot of people forget/dont know/dont care what their pin is.Exactly - I have had credit & debit cards for over 20 years, but stopped using/caring what my pin numbers were over 10 years ago - I get my money out out as cashback in the supermarket.

toots66
03-12-2004, 09:55
I thought the actual changeover point was january 1st? From Jan 1st, the retailer becomes responsible for any fraud if a Chip & PIN card is accepted with signature rather than PIN so expect to be asked for other ID if you don't know your PIN. One thing that could complicate matters is that about half of the cards with chips aren't yet Chip & PIN enabled IME*, in other words the chip gets read rather than the magnetic strip but it won't ask for a PIN. I assume in that case that the bank is still liable.

*I assume the banks involved had a perfectly good reason for doing this but it seems like a waste of time and money to me.

bob_builder
03-12-2004, 10:26
From Jan 1st, the retailer becomes responsible for any fraud if a Chip & PIN card is accepted with signature rather than PIN so expect to be asked for other ID if you don't know your PIN. One thing that could complicate matters is that about half of the cards with chips aren't yet Chip & PIN enabled IME*, in other words the chip gets read rather than the magnetic strip but it won't ask for a PIN. I assume in that case that the bank is still liable.

*I assume the banks involved had a perfectly good reason for doing this but it seems like a waste of time and money to me.
Yes, the retailer is only responsible for any fraud from 1st Jan if they allow a C&P card to be used without entering the PIN (including any retailers that do not have C&P technology yet).

If a non-C&P card is used it is the banks fault for not updating the card before the deadline. (I have received 4 new cards in the last week!)

* The C&P chip is different from the old smart-chip that used to be on cards before C&P started and cannot be C&P enabled (lack of memory, I think). The old smart-chip has been around for many years and predates even the C&P idea.

AndrewJ
03-12-2004, 15:17
I only use online banking once every blue moon, but after reading that I wont be using it again :dozey: