PDA

View Full Version : 118, Who gets your money?

Shaun
18-08-2003, 21:01
The 118 competition seems to be hotting up with the 192 switch-off looming.

BT have launched a huge advertising campaign to get customers to call their 118 500 when 192 is discontinued.
11 88 88 have just launched yet another set of adverts, as previously reported by Russ. And today when I was walking out of M&S the two guys from the 118 118 'got your number' advert ran past and down to the clock tower in their shorts. :eek:

I have to say, all three companies have better ways of getting us to ring their number than NTL! What is it again?:confused:

The question is, who will you be calling?

I'll start, if I have to use one I think it will be 'Torch Communications' at 19 pence per minute. :spin:

http://www.marcuskern.com/info/118.htm

darant
18-08-2003, 21:25
this (http://www.bt.co.uk/directory-enquiries/dq_home.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1753888419.1061238243 @@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadcjeffhfljcflgcefkdffndfkl.0&obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1128&obsPage=/index.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=46434)

danielf
18-08-2003, 21:35
Yes, looking at those prices, neither of them is getting my money.

grum1978
18-08-2003, 22:03
if the question marks in your poll by ntl are because you are not sure if thats the correct number i can confirm it is for you. They charge a one of charge of 40p for up to two numbers AFIAK

HTH

Lord Nikon
18-08-2003, 22:13
You need options for UK Info CD and for BT Online directory enquiries / Yell.com :D

Or at least one for "None of the above (give details below)

downquark1
18-08-2003, 22:36
The thing I hate about the adverts is (putting the actual pictures and sounds aside) is that they don't actually tell you the price.

This kind of marketing is common in america - it involves confusing the customer sooo much that each company ends up with some money.

Ramrod
18-08-2003, 22:39
erm....can someone tell me why they are getting rid of 192?:confused:
....and I'm not happy about it!

downquark1
18-08-2003, 22:40
Originally posted by Ramrod

1 word
manopoly

Chris
18-08-2003, 22:42

'cos it was a monopoly run by BT which has been screwing us out of far too much for far too long.

Granted 118 xxx isn't as memorable but at least we now have a choice. I will avoid BT directory enquiries on principle.

Ramrod
18-08-2003, 22:43
Originally posted by downquark1
1 word
manopoly
erm....monopoly actually:D
....sorry, couldn't help it:D

Ramrod
18-08-2003, 22:44
Originally posted by towny
'cos it was a monopoly run by BT which has been screwing us out of far too much for far too long.

Granted 118 xxx isn't as memorable but at least we now have a choice. I will avoid BT directory enquiries on principle. but were they screwing us for any more than these new companies?
They should have just told BT to charge less. Whenever this happens we end up paying more for a crapper service....look at the trains:afire:

downquark1
18-08-2003, 22:47
but were they screwing us for any more than these new companies?
They should have just told BT to charge less. Whenever this happens we end up paying more for a crapper service....look at the trains:afire:

I don't think BT answers to the government, do they?

Ramrod
18-08-2003, 22:52
Originally posted by downquark1
I don't think BT answers to the government, do they? I know, but if they can take away the monopoly legally why didn't they just give bt the option to drop prices 'or else'?
Since 'privatisation' seems to shaft us with a crapper service that costs more.

downquark1
18-08-2003, 22:57
Just choose the cheapest one on the list and use it.

WOW no wonder 188 188 don't mention prices on the advert. They must be trying to trick people into thinking they are the only one.

Russ
18-08-2003, 22:58
but were they screwing us for any more than these new companies?

<shameless plug>

I don't think it will neccessarily lead to crappier service, after all, 11 88 88 have the largest database of all the directory compainies (yes, even bigger than BT :))

</shameless plug>

Ramrod
18-08-2003, 23:08
Originally posted by Russ D
<shameless plug>

I don't think it will neccessarily lead to crappier service, after all, 11 88 88 have the largest database of all the directory compainies (yes, even bigger than BT :))

</shameless plug> and how much do you charge?;)
....and is that less or more than 193?

downquark1
18-08-2003, 23:11
and how much do you charge?;)

errr half price

:LOL:

Russ
18-08-2003, 23:12
and how much do you charge?;)

Flat rate of 20p per minute with no connection fee. :)

edit: Just thought I'd add that you might very well get bad service from 11 88 88 just as you'd get it from any company. Just because we have the biggest database doesn't mean all numbers are easy to find, and some operators have been caught giving any old number just to fob the caller off (sound familiar?). Yes, there are a few muppets extraordinaire in the company. If you do get bad service from 11 88 88, whether you are hung up on, are given the wrong number or the operator is rude etc just call 118uk's customer services on 08080 11 88 88 preferably from the phone you were on when you had your bad experience because we can trace who you spoke to from your phone number - yep, even witholding your number doesn't work with 11 88 88 - we can still see it! Makes for a great laugh when kiddies withhold their number and phone us up to abuse us - you should hear them panic when we call them straight back to tell them not to do it again!!!

Stuart
18-08-2003, 23:53
Just thought I'd add that you might very well get bad service from 11 88 88 just as you'd get it from any company. Just because we have the biggest database doesn't mean all numbers are easy to find, and some operators have been caught giving any old number just to fob the caller off (sound familiar?). Yes, there are a few muppets extraordinaire in the company.

You *know* UDT will call now...

dieselking
18-08-2003, 23:59
I don't think I'd use any, if we ever want a number or address we normally use a directory on the internet to find it. It's easier & it's FREE lol :):)

Russ
19-08-2003, 07:38
Originally posted by dieselking
I don't think I'd use any, if we ever want a number or address we normally use a directory on the internet to find it. It's easier & it's FREE lol :):)

Yes but when you're strolling down your local High Street, whatcha gonna do?? :)

I think I mentioned before, we also have 'phonetic' and 'sound-a-like' searches which will look for listing which either look or sound similar to what you've asked for, invaluable when you're not sure of the spelling. This also helps when you're looking for something like your local sports centre or swimming pool. You and everyone else might know it as "such-and-such swimming pool" and this is what you'd be asking for, whereas it's official name (and therefore how it's listed) is "such-and-such leisure centre". If this is the case our database would find all possibilities :)

Chris
19-08-2003, 09:35
I know, but if they can take away the monopoly legally why didn't they just give bt the option to drop prices 'or else'?
Since 'privatisation' seems to shaft us with a crapper service that costs more.

Not all privatisations have been a disaster though. My phone, gas and electricity bills are all cheaper than they would have been if I'd been forced to take services from British Telecom, British Gas and whichever electricity board it was that used to do my area.

Remember, Ntl couldn't even exist if it weren't for privatisation, and believe it or not, on balance, I think that would be a bad thing...

duncant403
19-08-2003, 09:52
We've just had a bar put on all "118" numbers at work - they cost too much. We're supposed to use yell.com instead (not that I regularly need to call Directory Enquiries from work...)

Lord Nikon
19-08-2003, 10:17
[Chomp]we can trace who you spoke to from your phone number - yep, even witholding your number doesn't work with 11 88 88 - we can still see it! Makes for a great laugh when kiddies withhold their number and phone us up to abuse us - you should hear them panic when we call them straight back to tell them not to do it again!!!

ROFL...

I assume someone has patched the software on the primary rate lines coming in then? lol

Always good fun, and does it tell you when they are witholding?

"Number xxx-xxx-xxxx Calling and has chosen to withold the number" lol

A Reverse lookup would be fun too

"Russ D is calling and has chosen to withold number"

Russ
19-08-2003, 10:20
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
Always good fun, and does it tell you when they are witholding?

No, their number just shows up when they call. You can tell they witheld when it's some kid mouthing off in front of his mates and you read his number back to him, he always turns to them and says something like "**** I thought I dialed 1471!!"

Nemesis
19-08-2003, 10:31
<shameless plug>

</shameless plug>

Where did they get the Db from ?

Where are they based ?

Anything to do with a Chester based company ?

Russ
19-08-2003, 10:34
Where did they get the Db from ?

The residential database is partially BT's and the business db is 118UK's own (also known as the Thompson Local Directory, yes we own that).

Where are they based ?

118UK is based in Cardiff but has callcentres in Swansea, Gloucester and Welwyn Garden. The parent company Conduit is from Eire.

Anything to do with a Chester based company ?

Not as far as I know.

Lord Nikon
19-08-2003, 10:50
quite a few years ago a friend of mine started a business competing with BT for directory enquiries. Businesses who subscribed to his servece had a freephone number to call, everyone else used a premium rate number
Their aim was a 30 second max for a single number lookup, they used Phonedisc from BT for the service :D

BT dropped the 192 price by 50% undercutting him by 1p per call... the business ended up failing because of this.

Nemesis
19-08-2003, 10:54
A company I used to work for in Birkenhead, Merseyside (PhoneLink), used the BT system called PhoneBase to populate databases. When Oftel stepped in and started the 'Monopoly' arguments, Phonelink started to receive full database tapes from BT. This database, along with several others were combined to hold information on Name, Address, Postcode (which BT have always had massive problems with), telephone Number etc.

Phonelink became Telme.com, which sunsequently split. the GB group now operate out of Chester and beleive that their database, now built up over the last 11 years to be the largest and most accurate.

gazzae
26-08-2003, 09:34
Interesting article in the Bel Tel about the prowess of the new 118 companies.

Originally from www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk
The Belfast Telegraph contacted all 15 of the new 118 services to ask for the number of the world famous Giant's Causeway visitor centre - a number which is easily obtained from the phone book.

Only one company, Orange, was able to provide the correct number immediately.

A number of other operators had not heard of the Giant's Causeway and several gave the number for the Giant's Causeway and Bushmills Railway Centre - a separate listing.

One company insisted the Giant's Causeway was in the Republic of Ireland and another offered to give the number for the Armagh Tourism Office.

Russ
26-08-2003, 09:39
I'll try this with a few of the people at work today.....

Ramrod
26-08-2003, 09:40
Well, on price, 118888 gets my seal of approval. The numbers on the phone!:)

zoombini
27-08-2003, 08:58
Yes but when you're strolling down your local High Street, whatcha gonna do?? :)

Er.... 192 was always free from a call box, is this no longer so?

How are call boxes managing the services? do BT have them monopolised on there boxes to call thier service only?

Will ringing 118888 allow us to ring Russ.D up and discuss hair replacement products? :D

Russ
27-08-2003, 09:03
Er.... 192 was always free from a call box, is this no longer so?

BT have been charging for 192 for about 3 years now.

How are call boxes managing the services? do BT have them monopolised on there boxes to call thier service only?

On most callboxes you'll see an advert for BT's 118500 - but if you look at the small print, it says it's not available from BT payphones :D

They might have changed that now though.

Will ringing 118888 allow us to ring Russ.D up and discuss hair replacement products?

Don't push your luck sonny :nono:

:D

Actually I'm not on the phones so no, you won't get through to me :)

Chris
27-08-2003, 09:25
Actually I'm not on the phones so no, you won't get through to me :)

Russ, are all 118888 operators in the UK or are we likely to end up talking to someone in Bombay if all the lines in your office are busy?

zoombini
27-08-2003, 09:32
OK, when looking for somewhere while walking down the high street, pop into some of the local shops & ask if they have the Yellow pages then... Its cheeky but costs less. lol

Russ
27-08-2003, 09:39
Originally posted by towny
Russ, are all 118888 operators in the UK or are we likely to end up talking to someone in Bombay if all the lines in your office are busy?

Just in the UK. The idea of an Indian callcentre was once proposed but then shot right down as it would be of no benefit whatsoever. One thing we can rely on with all UK-based operators is each having local knowledge of certain areas, not something you can rely on with people from other countries.

altis
27-08-2003, 12:15
Can we dial 192 to find the correct 118 number? :p

Chris
27-08-2003, 12:25
Originally posted by altis
Can we dial 192 to find the correct 118 number? :p

:)

Apparently there's a recorded message on 192 advising you to call an 0800 number. When you dial that, you are recommended at random one of the new 118 numbers.

Lord Nikon
27-08-2003, 12:27
what we need is a wap compatible online directory enquiries service

scrotnig
27-08-2003, 22:58
Just in the UK. The idea of an Indian callcentre was once proposed but then shot right down as it would be of no benefit whatsoever. One thing we can rely on with all UK-based operators is each having local knowledge of certain areas, not something you can rely on with people from other countries.

This fact alone would lead me to recommend 11 88 88, but also they are among the cheapest of the new 118 services. The only cheaper ones use foreign cheap labour, and so I won't use them on prinicpal.
Never, NEVER use a service that employs cheap foreign labour. Use one that creates jobs in the UK and/or Ireland.

I have used 11 88 88 several times and never had a problem at all. If the staff are targetted to get the call done really fast, it doesn't show as they don't rush you. 11 88 88 is now available from ntl lines, if you have an ntl line your choice is currently between 11 88 88, (the company Russ works for), 118 118 ('The Number'...they are expensive) or 118 878 (ntl's service, provided by cable & Wireless. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either)

My other advice concerns all of the 118 services: never take the option to be connected automatically...it's far cheaper to write the number down and dial it yourself.

scrotnig
27-08-2003, 22:59
Well, on price, 118888 gets my seal of approval. The numbers on the phone!:)

The best of the 118 services by far at the moment, they'll be around when others crash.

Russ
27-08-2003, 23:05
Originally posted by Mark B
If the staff are targetted to get the call done really fast, it doesn't show as they don't rush you.

I believe the targets at the moment are 34 seconds.

scrotnig
27-08-2003, 23:06
I believe the targets at the moment are 34 seconds.

Fair enough. They seem to manage to do this without appearing to 'rush' the customer, which is good.

Overall I find they get a lot right, and I rather like them.

Bifta
27-08-2003, 23:26
Originally posted by dellwear
The question is, who will you be calling?

I'll start, if I have to use one I think it will be 'Torch Communications' at 19 pence per minute. :spin:

http://www.marcuskern.com/info/118.htm

None of them, I'm fortunate enough to have UK Info disks which contain a lot more information that any 192 service (including reverse and Electoral Role searches, try getting any of the shysters to do that for you ;)) which means I can find a number from a name, a name from a number, an address from a number, a number from an address details on everyone on the electoral role living in said address and details on the neighbours too :) And each search cost's me the princely sum of .... absolutely nothing.

Russ
27-08-2003, 23:29
Is the disk a legit copy? If so how much did it cost?

Bifta
27-08-2003, 23:31
£199 and yes it's legit (not that I had to pay for it or anything thanks to a kindly boss)

Russ
27-08-2003, 23:44
Well for those of us who don't have a kindly boss and don't want to shell out £199, I think 20p per minute is a steal :)

Bifta
27-08-2003, 23:52
Just a shame they all have differing information, 20p a minute to be told that the number isn't listed? I think I know who's doing the stealing there.

edit: You will also be able to buy the standard UK Info Disk (v9) in September for £49 (or buy the 2003 edition on ebay ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3623833375&category=182)

Russ
27-08-2003, 23:56
Originally posted by Bifta
Just a shame they all have differing information, 20p a minute to be told that the number isn't listed? I think I know who's doing the stealing there.

It's hardly 118UK's fault if the person has chosen not to be listed or the caller gives incorrect information....

Bifta
28-08-2003, 00:02
It's hardly 118UK's fault if the person has chosen not to be listed or the caller gives incorrect information....

What's that got to do with it? Try reading my previous statement properly before you respond again, I based my info on trying to get a phone number through 192 (while it was still going) and 2 other crap 118*** (I don't recall which) numbers (which I was foolish enough to try first), unfortunately I wasn't at home and I needed the number urgently, only 192 had the number listed, the other two didn't, maybe you like to explain that one?

Russ
28-08-2003, 00:06
Well maybe if you were able to remember which companies they were and if one of them was 118888 then maybe I could try to explain it but on the limited information you have it would be pretty much impossible, so no, I can't explain it.

Bifta
28-08-2003, 00:15
Well maybe if you were able to remember which companies they were and if one of them was 118888 then maybe I could try to explain it but on the limited information you have it would be pretty much impossible, so no, I can't explain it.

My original post was about all you 118 "people" not sharing the same database which I've proved to myself by not being able to find a number that's been publically listed with BT for 15 years on more than one 118 "service" (I use the term service in the broadest sense). That then makes a DQ call a little like playing russian roulette, will they have the number? If not, should I ring round them all in case one of them does have it? My suggestion is to stick with whichever one British Telecom runs (if you HAVE to use the phone to get a telephone number) at least you'll know you'll not be speaking to someone from India (or Wales ;)) who thinks "Woolworths" is a town, and at least they clearly have more accurate and up to date information.

Russ
28-08-2003, 10:15
My original post was about all you 118 "people" not sharing the same database which I've proved to myself by not being able to find a number that's been publically listed with BT for 15 years on more than one 118 "service"

No no, you haven't proven anything at all. It could easily be that the people you spoke to were newbies who simply couldn't find the number. Poor service I agree and the people concerned need to be subject to a training enquiry.

My suggestion is to stick with whichever one British Telecom runs

That's of course entirely up to you Sean but 118UK's database is bigger than BT's, if we don't have the number then they certainly won't.

at least you'll know you'll not be speaking to someone from India (or Wales ) who thinks "Woolworths" is a town,

:zzz:

and at least they clearly have more accurate and up to date information

Exactly what we give out on a day to day basis :)

Stuart
28-08-2003, 10:45
My suggestion is to stick with whichever one British Telecom runs (if you HAVE to use the phone to get a telephone number) at least you'll know you'll not be speaking to someone from India (or Wales ;)) who thinks "Woolworths" is a town

Err not quite true. BT have moved a lot of call centre jobs to India.

Russ
28-08-2003, 10:48
lololol and I didn't want to be the one who mentions that BT has a 118 office in cardiff, but what the heck :D

Sarah
29-08-2003, 09:30
...at least you'll know you'll not be speaking to someone from India (or Wales ;)) who thinks "Woolworths" is a town...

Can someone give me an equal guarantee that us poor harassed CSRs on DQ services will not get calls from customers who are just as daft?

Chris
29-08-2003, 09:42
Originally posted by Sarah
Can someone give me an equal guarantee that us poor harassed CSRs on DQ services will not get calls from customers who are just as daft?

Nope, but maybe if you were paying us and not the other way round ... ;)

Sarah
29-08-2003, 18:32
But it's not fair! *pouts* Although sometimes it can be amusing, despite the fact it lowers my faith in humankind/our education system.

scrotnig
29-08-2003, 20:06
Just a quick note that I had cause to use 11 88 88 again today to find a number that I often need and stupidly never have with me when I need it (a business).

It's a business with a rather odd name and the 11 88 88 operator found it and had the correct number to me inside 20 seconds.

So in answer to the question posed by the title of this thread, it's them, every time.

Sarah
29-08-2003, 21:37
Originally posted by Mark B
Just a quick note that I had cause to use 11 88 88 again today to find a number that I often need and stupidly never have with me when I need it (a business).

It's a business with a rather odd name and the 11 88 88 operator found it and had the correct number to me inside 20 seconds.

So in answer to the question posed by the title of this thread, it's them, every time.

Yay :D