PDA

View Full Version : Connecting A Second Cable Modem

ikstar
02-11-2004, 13:26
Hi all I already have Broadband, I recently bought another cable modem to use but I was wondering is this possible to use as there is already an broadband connection o/s xp.

SMHarman
02-11-2004, 13:30
Why would you buy a CM when NTL give them away?
Yes you can generally have more than one CM at a house, but without more hardware between these CMs and the computers this cannot be done to boost speed, it would be more for a scenareo of one CM to each PC.
Where did you buy your CM? What are you trying to achieve with having two CMs on your network?

ikstar
02-11-2004, 13:52
I bought a second CM to use for a second computer is this possible to setup and how.

Jon M
02-11-2004, 13:56
your money would have been better spent getting the two machines running off one modem.. .there are several guides in the forum for doing it

ikstar
02-11-2004, 13:57
Why would you buy a CM when NTL give them away?
Yes you can generally have more than one CM at a house, but without more hardware between these CMs and the computers this cannot be done to boost speed, it would be more for a scenareo of one CM to each PC.
Where did you buy your CM? What are you trying to achieve with having two CMs on your network?

I bought a another CM so I could use it for another computer but not quite sure how to set it up as the CM modem is still online but cannot acess the internet can you help.

Halcyon
02-11-2004, 14:23
you do not need a second modem.
If you were to use that 2nd modem you would have to end up paying more.
What you need is a router.
This is used to share broadband connections on more than one PC.

Your cable modem connects to the router and then all computers you want to have net access connect to the router.
The router takes care of internet sharing and handling the connections.
This allows everyone to use the internet at the same time on all PC's.

You can either buy wired routers for about £40 where each PC connects by wire or wireless ones that cost a bit more where you can have PC's in different rooms in your house and they connect wirelesly thruogh the air.

You just need ethernet cards in each PC and hook them up via CAT5 cable to the router.
You can buy kits that are ready made for you with the ethernet cards and router and cabling if thats better for you, but I assume you have ethernet cards in your system already.

Look at Linkysys routers. They are good.

eg., This one which is quite cheap and quality:

Linksys Router (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2760665864&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37451)

Or a wireless one here (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2760713122&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=45023)
(If you go wireless you'l need wireless network cards in each machine too.)

zoombini
02-11-2004, 15:08
Looks like you need to see if you can return the modem & get a router instead.

Are you able to do that?

SOSAGES
02-11-2004, 16:15
what modem is it anyway - may be a router already

Chris
02-11-2004, 16:18
Looks like you need to see if you can return the modem & get a router instead.

Are you able to do that?
I bet he got it off ebay. :erm: :disturbd:

Graham M
02-11-2004, 16:41
Well he seems to be a bit avoidant to questions, how are we meant to help you Ikstar, you seem to have made a raw deal buying the Modem as you cannot connect it to the network without NTL knowing as they have to enable the MAC Address.

paulyoung666
02-11-2004, 17:57
and as it is most likely a stolen modem then they aint going to do it :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

ian@huth
02-11-2004, 18:21
and as it is most likely a stolen modem then they aint going to do it :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

It's not forced to be stolen. Users bought their modems when broadband was first introduced so I would assume that they are free to sell them. Not much point in buying one though as NTL include a modem in the rental these days.

paulyoung666
02-11-2004, 18:28
It's not forced to be stolen. Users bought their modems when broadband was first introduced so I would assume that they are free to sell them. Not much point in buying one though as NTL include a modem in the rental these days.

thats why i said it is most likely to be stolen but i should have included it may be an unwanted modem from a house move etc , yes you are quite correct :)

Paul
02-11-2004, 18:58
Bought or stolen - it doesn't really matter - ntl will not enable it, they will only allow their own supplied CM's.

Matth
02-11-2004, 22:27
A cheap router would probably have cost less - ebuyer may be a complete bunch of jerks, but:

Insanely cheap router (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2771600402&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52897) - with USB printer server
Cheap router, with wireless as well (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2771480736&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=60572)
54 Megabit wireless, and still cheap (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2771509399&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52629)

ikstar
03-11-2004, 11:54

Its A normal NTL 120 silver cable modem.

ikstar
03-11-2004, 11:56

Its a silver 120 Cable modem

ikstar
03-11-2004, 12:01
No I got it off a friend I was wondering if i could use it as i already have broadband, I got it next to nothing.

Chris
03-11-2004, 12:05
No I got it off a friend I was wondering if i could use it as i already have broadband, I got it next to nothing.
Well, that's a relief, as you can't. But hopefully the answers posted above should give you enough info if you still want to share your connection using means that will work.

ikstar
03-11-2004, 12:05
I bet he got it off ebay. :erm: :disturbd:

No I got it off a friend is it still possible to use the modem.

Marge
03-11-2004, 12:06
No I got it off a friend is it still possible to use the modem.

No

ikstar
03-11-2004, 12:11
Well he seems to be a bit avoidant to questions, how are we meant to help you Ikstar, you seem to have made a raw deal buying the Modem as you cannot connect it to the network without NTL knowing as they have to enable the MAC Address.

Sorry for not replying i just wanted to know if i could still use it without NTL knowing. So if i do tell NTL i have to pay for a second line even thoe I already have a connection.

Chris
03-11-2004, 12:13
Sorry for not replying i just wanted to know if i could still use it without NTL knowing. So if i do tell NTL i have to pay for a second line even ho I already have a connection.
Yes, one line, one modem. The modem has a unique code number. without that unique number (called a MAC Address) being registered to your address by NTL, the NTL network will not supply broadband services to that modem. And if it is registered with NTL, you will pay for it.

But as others have already said, this is the worst possible way to try to do it anyway. Buy yourself a cheap router and share the connection you already have.

Chris W
03-11-2004, 12:14
Sorry for not replying i just wanted to know if i could still use it without NTL knowing. So if i do tell NTL i have to pay for a second line even thoe I already have a connection.

If you do tell ntl they won't provision the modem that you have anyway- they only supply rental modems, so if you had a second bb connection installed it would cost you the appropriate price and the modem would be supplied.

Incidentally, the ntlhome 120 modems have always been supplied as rental only- so it is not your friends to give to you- it remains property of ntl.

Marge
03-11-2004, 12:14
Sorry for not replying i just wanted to know if i could still use it without NTL knowing. So if i do tell NTL i have to pay for a second line even ho I already have a connection.

If you want to try and get a broadband connection without paying for it then this is theft. Sorry if this sounds harsh but there you go.

NTL wouldn't connect it as it's not a modem supplied by them to you.

Nemesis
03-11-2004, 12:28
ok, so we've spent some time, you've spent some money, and the answer is basically .

You will NOT receive help in breaking the law on this site.
NO you cannot connect the NTL 120 modem that you bought illegally.
This thread will now be closed.