PDA

View Full Version : Slugs

testcard
17-08-2003, 21:06
Take an empty plastic milk container, set aside the cap, add some slug pellets. Place on its side in the garden at night. In the morning replace cap discard slug filled bottle.

It works.

Legal Notices
Because labels are subject to frequent change, always consult the label attached to the product before using any pesticide. The user must assume responsibility for proper application and for residues on crops as well as for damage or injury caused by pesticides, whether to crop, person or property.

CAUTION: Pesticides can be injurious to humans, domestic animals, desirable plants, and fish or other wildlifeif they are not handled or applied properly. Use all pesticides selectively and carefully. Follow recommended practices for the disposal of surplus pesticides and pesticide containers.

It is highly irresponsible to refill food containers with chemical products and leave in an unsupervised area.

It is harmful to slugs.

THE SERVICE AND THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED BY TESTCARD ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND TESTCARD EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE OR ANY MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS. IN NO EVENT SHALL TESTCARD BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE, THE MATERIALS AND THE PRODUCTS.

homealone
17-08-2003, 21:39
this method should also prevent birds eating slug pellet contaminated slugs & feeding them to their young.:(

def worth a try?

thanks testcard:)

Dave Stones
17-08-2003, 21:54
i find that it is more satisfying to go on a hunt with a tub of saxa... :devsmoke:

danielf
17-08-2003, 22:54
Originally posted by testcard
THE SERVICE AND THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED BY TESTCARD ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND TESTCARD EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE OR ANY MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS. IN NO EVENT SHALL TESTCARD BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE, THE MATERIALS AND THE PRODUCTS.

Easy now. It's not as if we know where you live ;)

Good idea though...

Chimaera
17-08-2003, 23:28
Thanks for that - I'll try it in the slugs in my garden, which are TRULY disgusting - big, thick orange ones, as long as your hand! :ninja:

yesman
17-08-2003, 23:55
Originally posted by Chimaera
big, thick orange ones, as long as your hand! :ninja:

Are you sure they are not carrots Chim :D

Chimaera
18-08-2003, 07:38
Well, I'm sure carrots don't eat plants and leave a slimy trail behind them! They are black and orange - ok, manky carrots then!

zoombini
18-08-2003, 08:24
What abpout the little buggers that make thier way into the house?
Any suggestions to get rid of them?

Lord Nikon
18-08-2003, 08:30
follow the trail back to where they come in and leave a line of NaCl accross the point of entry :D

zoombini
18-08-2003, 08:35
bit hard when its under sink unit somewhere... dont want to leave anything out due to cat & kids.

Lord Nikon
18-08-2003, 08:37
NaCl = Sodium Chloride - common table salt....

they DO try to avoid it, and its non toxic (unless consumed in vast quantities lol)

Ramrod
18-08-2003, 15:57
Originally posted by zoombini
What abpout the little buggers that make thier way into the house?
Any suggestions to get rid of them?
Trod on one of those once, barefoot in the dark. It went 'squish' and I thought 'I hope that wasn't.....':D
The slippery slug gunge took 12 washes to remove (with a brillo pad )before the sole of my foot wasn't slippery anymore:sick: :D

nighthawk
18-08-2003, 16:32
Originally posted by Dave Stones
i find that it is more satisfying to go on a hunt with a tub of saxa... :devsmoke:

The most satisfying & sick way to do it :D

dieselking
19-08-2003, 00:10
Originally posted by Drudge
Get yourselves a garden pond, stick a few tadpoles in (at the right time). Soon you'll have a resident population of frogs. If you leave just a bit of space near the pond rough they will reward you by eating every slug or snail that appears and as a bonus, the kids will love watching them.

Good advice Drudge. In our back garden we have a tiny pond which somehow got a few frogs in a few years ago. Now we get frogs & tadpoles in the pond & garden every year & the slugs never seem to eat my mum's plants anymore, if fact we never see any slugs as the frogs eats them all :) :wavey:

zoombini
19-08-2003, 08:37
I hate getting the washing in at 1am just before I go to bed after an evening playing Xbox (coz the wife fergets it), I always seem to stand on one of the little buggers in the back yard! Ewwwww!

danielf
19-08-2003, 09:58
I hate getting the washing in at 1am just before I go to bed after an evening playing Xbox (coz the wife fergets it), I always seem to stand on one of the little buggers in the back yard! Ewwwww!

Get yourself a pond, and you'll be standing on frogs rather than slugs:p

Lord Nikon
19-08-2003, 10:11
plus you can play cool sports like frog baseball (word of warning, home runs can be messy)

zoombini
19-08-2003, 11:27
I have a back yard, not a garden.
Nowhere to fit a pond.

And with young children in the house I do not want one.
neither would I want one due to the amount of work required to keep them clean etc.

testcard
24-08-2003, 20:54
Last weeks score 24 and a total weight of 285g

zoombini
24-08-2003, 22:23
OMG! you actually weigh them too?

hobbie
25-08-2003, 15:59
Originally posted by testcard
Last weeks score 24 and a total weight of 285g
:rofl:

Ramrod
25-08-2003, 17:18
OMG! you actually weigh them too? Probably measures them as well......34,28,34:D

dieselking
25-08-2003, 19:41
U lot are cruel, Playing tennis with poor old defenceless frogs aawwwwwwww :D :D :shrug: :spin:

homealone
25-08-2003, 20:20
Originally posted by dieselking
U lot are cruel, Playing tennis with poor old defenceless frogs aawwwwwwww :D :D :shrug: :spin:

lol dieselking - I think Lord Nikon said baseball - that would be bad enough - but Tennis - they'd be diced :eek:

albone
25-08-2003, 21:45
I have a back yard, not a garden.
Nowhere to fit a pond.

And with young children in the house I do not want one.
neither would I want one due to the amount of work required to keep them clean etc.
Why not get a large bowl or urn and use that it doesn't have to be deep only sheltered! and wouldn't be too hard to upkeep!;)
the other alternative to the bottle is a saucer of beer! the slugs get drunk and hey presto no more slug!

dieselking
26-08-2003, 00:51
Originally posted by homealone
lol dieselking - I think Lord Nikon said baseball - that would be bad enough - but Tennis - they'd be diced :eek:

LOL:D Sorry I meant baseball :wavey: Don't think frogs would be the easiest things to throw at a baseball bat as thery're not round & wouldn't fly through the air very quick LOL:D Should try something more roundy like a mouse or a bunnyrabbit LOL (only joking I would never hurt a animal):D

hobbie
26-08-2003, 03:08
Why do people insist on calling it "baseball"? --- it's called "Rounders" :LOL: