PDA

View Full Version : 1.5mg service

webstuff
29-10-2004, 13:17
Hi All

I'm currently a ntl subsciber to the 750 service. I have asked for a 1 month trial of the 1.5mg service. they have advised me that this will mean a new silver set top box. I have seen a couple of posts just googling that when downloading overnight the connection gets reset or just hangs. I am not a heavy downloader but this would be very inconveniant as I do night work and have remote access and dont fancy ringing my lass at two in the morning asking her to reboot it for me (slap). Any general feelings or experiances on this one would be appreciated.

cheers

webstuff

Florence
29-10-2004, 15:27
Hello Webstuff and :welcome: to the forums. I actual use a SCAM modem so don't experience these problems I should think one of our many valuble NTL employees will post answering your enquiries over this. I can see the problem you would have calling your daughter at 2am for a reboot. Do you not live in the same house as her so you could go and reboot yourself?

BBKing
29-10-2004, 16:10
I've not actually heard any Samsung hang stories. The ones I have heard are slowdowns when using the box really hard (i.e. leaving no upstream bandwidth at all, fixed by putting a cap on any P2P software used), plus it's advisable to set the ethernet port to 10Mb/half duplex.

1.5Mb STB service is scheduled for release in the next few days, incidentally, so don't rush. Wait till you see people report it on here (threads along the lines of 'about time too').

bopdude
29-10-2004, 16:26
:erm: Kits, webstuff said

Hi All

dont fancy ringing my lass at two in the morning asking her to reboot it for me (slap).
webstuff
You said

I can see the problem you would have calling your daughter at 2am for a reboot.
I think, could be wrong, that webstuff meant, my lass as in his wife / g/f and not as daughter :rofl:

Like I said, could be wrong :shrug: sorry just found it funny how mistakes are made with our differing ' English ' :p:

etccarmageddon
29-10-2004, 16:52
ask then if you can have a stand alone modem instead of a new set top box - if they refuse then search the forums here are there are NTL staff who have dealt with this issue on here recently (I think).

webstuff
29-10-2004, 17:12
Hi All

Thanks for your replies. Just to confirm my lass is my g/f lol. The joys of language!

bbking
1.5Mb STB service is scheduled for release in the next few days, incidentally, so don't rush. Wait till you see people report it on here (threads along the lines of 'about time too').

Ntl advised me that it will be a silver set top box, and the trial upgrade date is the 6th of november so I should be fine as the upgrade occurs on the 4th here. Thanks for the other comments in relation to setting to 10Mb/half duplex

I will post my findings when it's running. Have fun all.

webstuff

webstuff
09-11-2004, 11:16
Hi All

Well its arrived. And seems to be running very well. i have had no connection probs through the night which is good. speedtests give pretty good results also. another big plus side is that the cable tv side of things is a lot quicker. interactive doesn't crash out, the settop box hasn't needed a reboot yet like the old pace one did. and channel hopping is dam quick.

no complaints.

come on ntl give us more up!

tomjleeds
13-11-2004, 10:05
I've had absolutely no problems with the Samsung box I've now been running for three weeks. If you want a standalone modem, I doubt that there would be a problem - the engineer I had seemed pretty clued up and said that if we reported problems with the connection they'd come out and fit one, no problem.

IanGuy
13-11-2004, 13:38
Oh how I yearn for a Samsung box, want to use interactive without the worries of having to get down on my knees and unplug the box and plug back in.

browneggsandham
14-11-2004, 12:32
Well I'm looking forward to next years' further speed upgrades. We will have to get a Samsung box for 2mb!!

Browneggsandham :)

winterbrew
17-11-2004, 11:31
I can confirm that my Samsung box on 1.5Mb is alot more reliable on P2P downloads than my previous Pace DiTV 1000 on 1Mb.

The Pace often used to die about 1 hour into a P2P session on edonkey / bittorent etc.

Jon