PDA

View Full Version : Help me get my laptop onto home network

zerolight
17-08-2003, 15:24
Hi there.

I've been using a Linksys Router (not wireless) with my Xbox and Home Desktop for sometime now without issues. However, I need to get my company laptop onto the net through my router too.

When I hook it up, it gets an IP address and I am able to ping a variety of sites. However if I use a browser, it cannot find the server and dies with the usual IE error page. Similarly my email package cannot connect to the server, and I cannot FTP. Windows Update is able to download the latest upates though.

If I connect same laptop to my mates router at his house I get exactly the same problem.

If I connect at work, it finds the network, and I can surf the web if I choose a proxy.

So whats my problem at home? Can any of you experts out there help me with this please?

Zero.

Bifta
17-08-2003, 17:18
check you haven't got DNS settings in your network connection, if you have, remove them, also check the default gateway is pointing to your router and not some work IP address.

zerolight
17-08-2003, 21:55
tried doing that. also tried copying the settings from my desktop. with any other pc, i just have to connect it to the router, no settings, no mess, and it connects. the laptop baffles me.

MadGamer
27-08-2003, 20:50
If your running XP it has a built in networking feature.

zerolight
28-08-2003, 09:35
nope. the problem was because I had a socks setup running on my laptop to allow my email to get thru the company firewall. when I disabled the socks, all was sweet.

MadGamer
28-08-2003, 16:51
But you have the problem sorted now yeah