PDA

View Full Version : Registering Modem - Are there issues

cmmp
26-10-2004, 11:18
I had my cable modem installed a couple of weeks ago. I was unable to register using the CD. I was away from home for a while and got back last weekend, and having found (via this forum) how to register directly using the autregister page, I tried again. Reached the page with no problems but my pin and surname was rejected with an error message saying that there was a problem with my order and that I should contact customer services. I was told by the Broadband helpline that this was a known issue and having taken my mac address, a "ticket" was raised and I was told that it should be resovled within 2 days.
I tried again yesterday (2 days later) - same error message. Called the Broadband helpline again and was told to contact Customer Services as my pin and surname details were correct on the server. Tried Customer Services this morning and was told that this was a known problem and that I should just keep trying ("it may take a couple of tries, it may take 800 times!").
Can anyone tell me whether I am being told correct information or just being fed a line to make me go away and stop bothering them? :monkey:

Chris
26-10-2004, 12:55
:welcome: to Cable Forum ... from other posts I've seen on here recently, I would say that information is accurate. They have been having big problems. There are one or two NTL staff on this forum, one of them might be able to fill in some more detail or suggest further action you can take.

slowcoach
26-10-2004, 15:36
:welcome: CHRIS, It took me 3 or 4 attempts to register.

Just make sure you don't enter a typo as that may have been the attempt that was successful :D

Marge
26-10-2004, 16:54
Hi there, if you want to PM me your details I'll have a look tomorrow for you

cmmp
26-10-2004, 17:10
Thanks for that! I dont have them with me at the moment as I am at work, but will get them to you tomorrow. :)

Marge
26-10-2004, 17:12
Thanks for that! I dont have them with me at the moment as I am at work, but will get them to you tomorrow. :)

Just need your name, house number and postcode :tu:

Saneboy13
27-10-2004, 17:28
I had my cable modem installed a couple of weeks ago. I was unable to register using the CD. I was away from home for a while and got back last weekend, and having found (via this forum) how to register directly using the autregister page, I tried again. Reached the page with no problems but my pin and surname was rejected with an error message saying that there was a problem with my order and that I should contact customer services. I was told by the Broadband helpline that this was a known issue and having taken my mac address, a "ticket" was raised and I was told that it should be resovled within 2 days.
I tried again yesterday (2 days later) - same error message. Called the Broadband helpline again and was told to contact Customer Services as my pin and surname details were correct on the server. Tried Customer Services this morning and was told that this was a known problem and that I should just keep trying ("it may take a couple of tries, it may take 800 times!").
Can anyone tell me whether I am being told correct information or just being fed a line to make me go away and stop bothering them? :monkey:
Hi cmmp,

I know there is some issue with using the Broadjump disc to register. As long as you use the autoreg URL you have been given, then everything should be ok.

To that point, I will add that it may take a few attempts to register via the autoreg link, but it is by far the best way to get it done

cmmp
28-10-2004, 13:02
I used the autoreg facility but despite numerous attempts it was not working. However thanks to Debsy42 who through some magic altered my pin to one that worked, the registration went through as "smooth as silk" and I am a happy (and very grateful) man. It's good to know that despite all the brickbats we throw at NTL, that if you are lucky enough to contact the right person there then they really do know their stuff. If everyone there had the same knowledge and concern as Debsy42, the guy who did the original installation and the guy who ran around ensuring that my digital TV was working (after lots of failed promises from others), then NTL would have a very different reputation from the one it currently possess.

Marge
28-10-2004, 16:09
Glad it's working for you :tu: Happy Surfing :D