PDA

View Full Version : Phone line query

kylegordon
22-10-2004, 15:24
Hey all,

I've been with NTL ever since they started beta trialling their first ever broadband products, and I got a phone line installed along with it. Now that I've moved out into my own place, it's time to get a phone line of my own...

Do NTL bring in a cable like they do for TV, and then split it out into a phone line? Or is it a regular phone line they bring in for sole phoneline installations? We have pretty poor TV and radio reception in the flat, and I would like to recreate my previous setup and feed the TV and radio off the NTL RF signal (which also gave Sky News and E4)

This is also going to affect my decision on which broadband provider to go with, as ADSL is really only available on a BT phone line...

Many thanks

Kyle

Stephen
22-10-2004, 15:48
They bring in a phone line if you are getting a phone installed and the cable modem is run off the cable that is used for the TV service.

SMHarman
22-10-2004, 16:51
The cable used for the drop from the front door to the road is a siamese coax, coax plus telephone cable, so chances are whatever install you go for they will pull both services to your front door, that way when you upgrade the job will be easier.

kylegordon
24-10-2004, 23:58
Well, out of the blue my dad called up NTL to see if they already had a phoneline to the flat. Turns out they do... I went hunting, and found a Cabletel telephone socket, and that's all. I traced it all the way back out the door, and along the hallway to the building doors, where it vanished. No sign of a thick RF style cable unfortunately. I take it this means they'll probably just reinstate the phone line and that's all?

bob_builder
25-10-2004, 10:23
I went hunting, and found a Cabletel telephone socket, and that's all. I traced it all the way back out the door, and along the hallway to the building doors, where it vanished. No sign of a thick RF style cable unfortunately.
I guess this is the same as most people, the cable is shared up to the front of the building where it is split into telephone and TV. I would guess that you have just the telephone currently installed internally and would need to have the TV cable installed internally.

kylegordon
25-10-2004, 15:22
Ach well, sod it :-)

I've just placed an order for a digital box, and I'll get a BT phone line for ADSL. My girlfriend was leaning towards a BT phoneline anyway, so she could sign up to Tele2 and get cheap calls to her family in Denmark and Finland.

Thanks for the info folks :-)

Tezcatlipoca
25-10-2004, 19:07
I've just placed an order for a digital box, and I'll get a BT phone line for ADSL.

You've ordered an ntl digital box? In that case, you'll *have* to have an ntl phone line too. For some strange reason, ntl only supply DTV bundled with a phone line. Means you'll have to pay for 2 lines if you get a BT one too.

kylegordon
25-10-2004, 21:24
Ooops, sorry, I should've said. It's a free to air digital receiver. Not an NTL one :-)

homealone
25-10-2004, 22:23
Ooops, sorry, I should've said. It's a free to air digital receiver. Not an NTL one :-)

phew ;) - you had me worried, there, too :D - currently, I would miss sky1 too much :)