PDA

View Full Version : AOL dial-up and Mac OS X

Chris
18-10-2004, 19:28
Ok, I'm considering selling my Mac's soul to the great Satan of the internet ... purely for pragmatic reasons, I have to go back on dial-up after we move house (rural exchange, not ADSL-enabled, unlikely to be so for some time) and money is going to be tight, and AOL do a two month free trial.

I know that AOL/PC royally smegs up the machine with extra software, but does anybody know what the Mac OS X version does? Are there any web services, in particular .Mac, and .Mac related tools like iDisk, Homepage and POP acces to .Mac mail, that are likely to be unhappy with AOL?

Chris
18-10-2004, 23:09
/bump ... anyone got any ideas? :)

danielf
18-10-2004, 23:15
/bump ... anyone got any ideas? :)

Fraid not, but I have to say I feel for you. I was on dial-up for about three weeks after moving house recently, and I never want to go through that experience again :cry:. Also, I just got the BT bill, and 13 hours of surfing in three weeks came to about £12. I was so happy when I got my BB back :)

carlingman
18-10-2004, 23:32
Cough ahem Cough.

Well doesnt one of our friendly Mods here now work for BT.

I am sure he will be able to dig out one of the many free BT dial up numbers that do not require any authorisation.

I am told they work quite well for a simple connection but obviously you wont get any web space or email addresses.

Add the words alledgedly where you think fit to the above.

:D