obvious
22-06-2003, 10:33
This is a flyer from bt at the moment

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paulhanlon/bt%20flyer.png

And this is on the envelope.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paulhanlon/lostyourhead.jpg

DannyA
22-06-2003, 10:45
BT aren't on the offensive - they are offensive!

They have systimatically held back development of the communications infrastructure of this country for decades. With an iron monolpolistic grip which is still prevalant 20 years after privatisation.

f00kas!

It will be a cold day in hell before BT get my cash. NTL would have to come around here and start assaulting me before i even consider going to BT.

You can only get 0.5 Mbit from BT's "Broadband". At the drop of a hat they could release 5Mbit syncronous SDSL for the whole country - they have the network and infrastructure. But that would eat their all important "revenue streams" from leased lines.

Damn and blast there eyes.

</Vitriol off>

ahh, its sunday.

time to go get some fresh air and think of nature and stuff.

bo-peep
22-06-2003, 10:53
yeah i got that and didn't understand one bit of it.thought the bit where it says 'use this sticker to remind you when your ntl contract is up for renewal' amusing

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 10:57
hmmm... NTL Talk 24 price plan....

how long do you get - daytime - unlimited as long as you renew the call hourly
Evening - unlimited as long as you renew the call hourly
Weekend - yup, unlimited as long as you renew the call hourly

International to US - 3 minutes for 6p

lets say option 1 costs £12.. Talk 24 is 15.. ( I think)

gee I know which I would rather have

bo-peep
22-06-2003, 11:02
i had TU24 then went for the TU free for 6 months with the 600k.i've found i have a considerable bill at the end of the month so upgraded to 1MB for the 6 months free TU24

Gogogo
22-06-2003, 11:35
The last BT poster I saw said national calls at local rates which of course was an ntl slogan. In both cases cynics could be tempted to think local calls at national rates!

Still it's getting very interesting this tariff battle!

:eek:

bigitup_j
22-06-2003, 11:55
anyway ntl are starting exactly the same package this july, costing £11.50 per month (so bye-bye to Talk). plus you get international call plan included.

plus ntl are going against bt, with their new ntl freedom tv advertising campaign. 'the only catch is you pay'. £15 for £15 of calls per month and FREE internet access!

much better.

Lord Nikon
22-06-2003, 12:38
Originally posted by bigitup_j
anyway ntl are starting exactly the same package this july, costing £11.50 per month (so bye-bye to Talk). plus you get international call plan included.

plus ntl are going against bt, with their new ntl freedom tv advertising campaign. 'the only catch is you pay'. £15 for £15 of calls per month and FREE internet access!

much better.

Talk Unlimited 24 had better stay... I MUCH prefer paying a flat rate for UK land line calls than paying per call...

Means I am more aware of the final bill total and not looking at the clock while on the phone thinking "how much will this cost me"

Russ
22-06-2003, 12:40
Am I alone here in loving the way companies like BT and NTL slug it out with such offers? At the end of the day we are the ones who (in theory) will benefit while they're slugging it out with each other :)

bigitup_j
22-06-2003, 12:44
i know russ, it is quite a joke. watching and hearing both companies trying to kill each other. so we get lower prices...super good!
and we do benifit. bt do the 6p call plan, ntl copy and do it even better (with the international call plan included). :)

Theodoric
22-06-2003, 20:43
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
Talk Unlimited 24 had better stay... I MUCH prefer paying a flat rate for UK land line calls than paying per call...

Means I am more aware of the final bill total and not looking at the clock while on the phone thinking "how much will this cost me"
I use Talk Unlimited but you need to read the small print and definitely keep an eye on the clock. I can't remember the exact details (anyone here know?), but if you don't disconnect and then reconnect after a certain time (1 hour?) ntl will start charging you for the call. The day that ntl is honest and open about its T&C in its advertising is the day I will post my "ntl: The best thing since sliced bread" message.

Stuart
23-06-2003, 12:25
Originally posted by erolz
My only regret is that it has taken so long since the cabble co's came into existance, before this kind of aggressive competetion has manifested. It was after all what the cable co were designed to create.

For too long their strategy appeared to be BT -5%

Yeah, but I don't think BT considered cable to be a competitor until recently. Hence all the new deals..

Lord Nikon
23-06-2003, 12:34
Theodoric, read post 4, this thread for details :D

grum1978
23-06-2003, 12:34
Originally posted by Theodoric
I use Talk Unlimited but you need to read the small print and definitely keep an eye on the clock. I can't remember the exact details (anyone here know?), but if you don't disconnect and then reconnect after a certain time (1 hour?) ntl will start charging you for the call. The day that ntl is honest and open about its T&C in its advertising is the day I will post my "ntl: The best thing since sliced bread" message.

that is on all the advertising for that product maybe you should read the small print :D ;)

Theodoric
23-06-2003, 19:15
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
Theodoric, read post 4, this thread for details :D
I see. Someone else who reads the fine print, obviously.

Does anyone disagree that ntl are being less than honest in their choice of slogans? All I can say is that a good working hypothesis is that anything ntl claim is unlikely to be the unvarnished truth.

Theodoric
24-06-2003, 18:32
Originally posted by grum1978
that is on all the advertising for that product maybe you should read the small print :D ;)

Exactly, that was my point; you need to read the small print in the adverts. I've just checked the ntl site.

Normal point size: "UNLIMITED calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the UK"

Much smaller point size: "Redial after 60 minutes to avoid call charges."

That is a straightforward contradiction. One of those 2 statements is simply untrue. How, even twisting the meaning well beyond breaking point, can ' Redial after 60 minutes' be compatible with 'UNLIMITED calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week'.

I defy anyone to convince me that a call can be unlimited if you have to stop after one hour, that is break off the call, and redial.

To normal human beings, unlimited means without a limit. To ntl it means 'with a break every hour.'

Graham
24-06-2003, 21:47
I'm sure the excuse will be that it says "unlimited calls" to mean "the *number* of calls is unlimited" not "of unlimited duration".

Of course I bet they didn't purposefully make it so vague it could mean anything!

Theodoric
24-06-2003, 22:05
Originally posted by Graham
I'm sure the excuse will be that it says "unlimited calls" to mean "the *number* of calls is unlimited" not "of unlimited duration".

Of course I bet they didn't purposefully make it so vague it could mean anything!
Yes, you can it intrepret it that way, now that you mention it. In which case it would be more honest for ntl to say 'unlimited number of calls'. It's this evasive, shifty attitude of ntl that annoys me.

Defiant
24-06-2003, 22:26
I like their style. Ram it down NTL's throat. Its NTL's own fault for slacking. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can remember a time when NTL used to be in front!!

rippedoff
25-06-2003, 11:38
Originally posted by scastle
Yeah, but I don't think BT considered cable to be a competitor until recently. Hence all the new deals..

I still think that there is not enough competition. For telephone service, There is BT & NTL, For TV I have the choice of ntl or Sky.
What would be good is to allow 'like for like' competition. That is to allow me to choose between Telewest of ntl - because that is like for like - all services from the one provider. Currently in my area, ntl have a monopoly on the combined service - the only place I can go is to BT AND Sky, or ntl.

Open up real competition - I bet you we in Lambeth would have BB / CR3 / interactive and cheap calls very very soon if that happened! ntl are only interested if there is real competition in the area and they have to do something to keep them out!
:D

Mark15
03-08-2003, 17:19
Originally posted by Russ D
Am I alone here in loving the way companies like BT and NTL slug it out with such offers? At the end of the day we are the ones who (in theory) will benefit while they're slugging it out with each other :)

I love it first it was Sega vs Nintendo then Sony vs Nintendo then M$ vs Sony, and then we have Micky D's vs Burger king, (kfc is left out) ( you know why ;) ). Then we have NTl vs Sky tv, Ntl vs BT vs Telewest, And even Pepsi vs Coca cola. There are rivalry's everywhere all we can do is sit back whatch the fight laugh and then save money ;)

Shaun
03-08-2003, 17:36
Originally posted by Graham

I can make an unlimited number of calls, with or with out "talk unlimited"!!!!:dozey:

The only difference is I have to pay for them if I don't have their package.

I'm so sick of Ntl and their advitisin', but I wont go on about them and the ASA again.:spin: