PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Online

DannyA
22-06-2003, 10:14
Ok this game intreagues me.

I have Xbox, GC and PS2. Indeed I had a DC as well - but i've never picked this game up.

Does any one have it on xbox?

Is it worth buying?

Is the community decent?

cheers!

(edited : originally called the thread PSO Online - I think I know what the O stands 4!)

Laws
22-06-2003, 10:28
well i had it for DC and played it online.

im afraid the game truely sucked.

it was literaly a constant pressing of the A button, i also had a keybaord and communication wasnt even needed to complete the levels, which there were only 4 or 5 of.

very repetitive, what appealed to other people was the range of weapons you could get and mags - but fundumentaly they were all the same so it also gets boring and repetitive.

my opinion - theres better live games out there, plus the additional server cost.... :td:

NEONKNIGHT
22-06-2003, 16:45
Got this game about a week ago. Its Highly Addictive (building up your level etc) Played it on-line with a couple of mates and was impressed with it overall. As the above post mentioned there are additional costs after 2 months (around £6.00 per month) but that's upto you. I'm currently trying to build up my character levels to somthing decent off-line - like I said once you get 'into' the game it really is addictive.

Cheers;)

DannyA
23-06-2003, 18:41
ah, its one of those games that people either love or loathe.

Well i tend to like games that most people are undecided on.

The £6 a month is a bit of a poo, escpecailly with the all in xbox live service.

ah well, looks like i'll take the plunge on pay day.

NEONKNIGHT
26-06-2003, 13:28
it was literaly a constant pressing of the A button, i also had a keybaord and communication wasnt even needed to complete the levels, which there were only 4 or 5 of.

Yes, there is a constant pressing of the A button but as your ability's grow and Level you can pull off combo moves but you have to get the timeing spot on.

I used to have it on the DC aswell, at the time I wasn't that impressed with it but have now revisited it on XBOX and this time around I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

This game is not to everyone's taste but its another welcome addition to the LiVE catalogue.

P.S. You don't have to have a 'beard' to play this game!;)

NEONKNIGHT
26-06-2003, 13:35
i also had a keybaord and communication wasnt even needed to complete the levels, which there were only 4 or 5 of.

Forgot to add - there are loads of levels to complete and even download. The Xbox communicator does come in very handy when working through an on-line level as I have found out recently.:cool:

Cheers:)

One in ten
02-07-2003, 06:37
This game is very addictive! If you find a good group of people to team with, it can be great fun. I now hardly play my other xbl games.

NEONKNIGHT
03-07-2003, 18:55
This game is very addictive! If you find a good group of people to team with, it can be great fun. I now hardly play my other xbl games.

Yep, totally agree. While on the point of finding a good group to play with on LiVE there was a great review of this game in Xbox World Mag this month. While they gave it an outstanding review they also pointed out the 'dark side' of the online play, namely the xbox live voice communicator.
The mag said:- "In fact, the only thing that ruins it is Xbox Live's voice communication. Sure, its easier than using a keyboard, but playing international games is strictly a no-go now. In previous PSO incarnations, players used the brilliant symbol language to communicate. The inclusion of voice comms has put this excellent system on the scrapheap and created an international divide. During our time online we've witnessed massive scale xenophobia between the English and French, a digital iron curtain of racial hatred that makes playing the game really rather unpleasant."
They also went on to prove their point using an example of the Server List for PSO. "Here's where you check into one of the games and commence battle in one of the most brilliantly conceived video games of all time. THE TRUTH:- See all those UK and FR server names? Racial segregation, my friends. Will PSO become an online Kosovo?"

Its a sad old world, innit.:(

Emperordalek
03-07-2003, 22:11
How open to hackers is it? I have heard they have already started cheating in the US.

NEONKNIGHT
04-07-2003, 07:48
How open to hackers is it? I have heard they have already started cheating in the US.

Unaware of any problems of this nature. The European Servers are isolated from the US and Japanese servers. That's M$ for you!:mad:

fluds
04-07-2003, 08:40
Some good PSO news from PSO world today.

"Microsoft released a mandatory patch to PSOX today in an attempt to stop duped items from spreading. The patch is automatically downloaded to the Xbox hard drive when you attempt to log into PSOX. It stops the online and offline shops duping."

ic14
04-07-2003, 18:09
Originally posted by fluds
Some good PSO news from PSO world today.

"Microsoft released a mandatory patch to PSOX today in an attempt to stop duped items from spreading. The patch is automatically downloaded to the Xbox hard drive when you attempt to log into PSOX. It stops the online and offline shops duping."

Yay!!!

Now if they can stop the hackers....

HornetUK
04-07-2003, 18:18
As long as it doesn't go the way of the DC version I was up to level 97 when it went tdownhill fast overnight everyones character was called Nero and everyone was the same level, someone managed to swap everyone in the lobbys characters. Still they won't get £6 off anyone if that happens!

NEONKNIGHT
08-07-2003, 23:44
This game should only be bought on perscription, can't stop playing it:D

:smokin:

Boom
09-07-2003, 00:57
Neon, do you see yourself having the game beyond the 2 month free period? I'm now thinking of getting it.

Originally posted by NEONKNIGHT
This game should only be bought on perscription, can't stop playing it:D

NEONKNIGHT
09-07-2003, 07:57
Neon, do you see yourself having the game beyond the 2 month free period? I'm now thinking of getting it.

Yes, this is one game that has infinite game play. Classic game.;) I've been playing it alot offline but must get online more with the other clan members, Liquid Len, Fluds and IC, as its a faster way of building up your stats.

Boom
09-07-2003, 08:34
Would I need to build my character stats before going on XBL? If so, how much time do I need to spend offline to get to a decent level?

The reason I'm interested now is I just saw the video on the demos section of BF. It would appear there also ranged weapons (call me uninformed!) where I thought it was more of a contact weapons game. With a mix like that, this game really appeals. Also the graphics aren't as sh*te as I first heard (guess I was expecting a cross between DC and PS2!).

If I pick it up tonight, can I start growing my beard on XBL immediately?

Liquid Len
09-07-2003, 10:33
Originally posted by Boom
Would I need to build my character stats before going on XBL? If so, how much time do I need to spend offline to get to a decent level?

If I pick it up tonight, can I start growing my beard on XBL immediately?

You can go online the moment you buy it, just find a game with other level 1 chars. ( you lvl up quicker online. More things to kill ) :ninja:

There are 3 char types---- Forces - mainly use powerful magic, but can use pistols and some swords. (Although i would just stick with the magic)

Hunters - uses powerful swords, some magic and guns.

Rangers - uses powerful guns, some magic and swords.

Then you have the choice of human or android.

Boom
09-07-2003, 10:36
LL, so I wouldn't be able to join up with you lot immediately?

Are the servers regionalised or I'm going to end up with some naff Frog (note I can speak French, but still!)?

Liquid Len
09-07-2003, 10:44
You would not be able to join us yet, but we could join your game.

The good thing about PSO is that you can set a password, so you only let in the people you want.

And although you can hear the french in the lobby, they usually play in their own games.

Boom
09-07-2003, 10:45
OK. I'm sold. I'll get this game today. What class and what species would you recommend I use?

Originally posted by Liquid Len
You would not be able to join us yet, but we could join your game.

The good thing about PSO is that you can set a password, so you only let in the people you want.

And although you can hear the french in the lobby, they usually play in their own games.

Liquid Len
09-07-2003, 10:53
They all have their good and bad points. It also depends what type of main weapon you want to use. ( Gun, Sword or magic)

Boom
09-07-2003, 10:54
I suppose though in order to make an effective team, you need to team up with characters who have different classes and/or species?

They all have their good and bad points. It also depends what type of main weapon you want to use. ( Gun, Sword or magic)

Liquid Len
09-07-2003, 11:00
yes it helps :D

ic14
09-07-2003, 12:31
LL, so I wouldn't be able to join up with you lot immediately?

Well you will if we use our lower level charecters. Ive got a force im just itching to use online! But shes only level 2

NEONKNIGHT
09-07-2003, 16:11
We will all have to get online together and kick some bottom! LOL:D

Boom, start that beard mate! :D

Boom
09-07-2003, 16:29
Can't decide whether to aim for Karl Marx, Rasputin, or Lenin style beard. :D

It will begin after a trip to local gamestore tonight to get a copy.

We will all have to get online together and kick some bottom! LOL:D

Boom, start that beard mate! :D

XiceWolf
09-07-2003, 16:45
lol no boom dont get it it will consume your life slowly but surely. I may also have to call you beardstick from now on :D

Boom
09-07-2003, 16:48
I'm starting to get this weird hatred for razors and shaving cream now for some reason. :D

Originally posted by XiceWolf
lol no boom dont get it it will consume your life slowly but surely. I may also have to call you beardstick from now on :D

xboxplayer
09-07-2003, 22:33
I love this game, but get bored just playing with one character, so i have two from each class - one human and one android (or newman: force). I mainly play my 3 main characters, but just for a change play my lower level ones. Love it!

Tezcatlipoca
09-07-2003, 23:05
Getting more & more tempted by PSO.....but don't think I'd have the time to put into it, plus wary of paying a fiver a month for it.

NEONKNIGHT
09-07-2003, 23:23
Getting more & more tempted by PSO.....but don't think I'd have the time to put into it, plus wary of paying a fiver a month for it.

Yes, it does take up a lot of time but well worth it. Paying the extra sub each month is a pain but again reasonable. This is the shape of things to come really, you can't blame the developers for recouping cost's (and making a nice little earner aswell!)

Tezcatlipoca
10-07-2003, 01:20
Hmm...maybe, maybe.....

Another thing.... is it effectively a bit late to get PSO, seeing as there'll be loads of players on it already who've had it since it came out & built up their characters loads? Or would it still be easy to get into & start increasing levels?

One in ten
10-07-2003, 06:01
There are people playing with characters of all levels. It is easy to start a new character and level up. I have two main characters- Star level 117 and Starfire level 36, and lots at 1 to 15. You can always find people willing to join you to help each other level up.

NEONKNIGHT
10-07-2003, 07:46
There's loads of characters to choose from. I've got one at level 28 but I've also got a second one at Level 2! Agree with One in Ten, there's always low character levels around on PSO - even me!;)

Boom
10-07-2003, 07:49
Tez, I'm going to get shortly (I was hoping to get it last night, but got rocked by work, mind you, got recognition this morning!).

If you get it, you and I can n00b around in the game! :D

Liquid Len
10-07-2003, 14:13
The only thing i don't like about this game is the talking. The talking in the game has to be the worst in all the games i have played online. The talking breaks up and the talking seem's to lag ( If that's possible ) not the game just the talking.

Has anyone else experenced this?

fluds
10-07-2003, 14:18
As you know Liquid Len I have lag when listening and replying to you, makes you feel like your always interupting everyones conversations but you know its just that I have not heard you finish before I start talking. UHH :confused:

Liquid Len
10-07-2003, 14:27
Yes, but why cant the talking in PSO be as good as some of the other games i have played online?

fluds
10-07-2003, 14:58
Yes, but why cant the talking in PSO be as good as some of the other games i have played online?
I agree especially being its only euro servers.

NEONKNIGHT
10-07-2003, 17:30
You may already know this but in the game manual for PSO there is a small section entitled Ship Communication Mode. It say's:-

You can enable or disable ship communication mode. Whenever your character's display location jumps around or when there is bad network communication, enabling ship communication mode may improve the condition.

Don't know if this will help with the xbox comms but worth a try.

Tezcatlipoca
10-07-2003, 17:42
Originally posted by One in ten
There are people playing with characters of all levels. It is easy to start a new character and level up. I have two main characters- Star level 117 and Starfire level 36, and lots at 1 to 15. You can always find people willing to join you to help each other level up.

There's loads of characters to choose from. I've got one at level 28 but I've also got a second one at Level 2! Agree with One in Ten, there's always low character levels around on PSO - even me!;)

Tez, I'm going to get shortly (I was hoping to get it last night, but got rocked by work, mind you, got recognition this morning!).

If you get it, you and I can n00b around in the game! :D

OK, cheers for the replies guys..... :)

I think I will get this...& probably BF as well.

May well get them both when I'm in Jersey at the weekend, so benefit from no VAT. :)

ic14
10-07-2003, 17:43
Originally posted by Tezcatlipoca
OK, cheers for the replies guys..... :)

I think I will get this...
Ill help you and boom level up your chars then!

Tezcatlipoca
10-07-2003, 17:49
Cheers, IC. :)

Off to Jersey now. Back on Monday.

ic14
10-07-2003, 17:50
Originally posted by Tezcatlipoca
Cheers, IC. :)

Off to Jersey now. Back on Monday.
:wavey: See you soon

NEONKNIGHT
10-07-2003, 17:54
May well get them both when I'm in Jersey at the weekend, so benefit from no VAT.

"Lifestyle Of The Rich & Famous";)

Enjoy your trip!:)

Boom
10-07-2003, 18:11
JUst got PSO at an outrageous price of £39.99. The only thing that outweighs this is the fact that I will use my SamFish3r account for the first 2 months, then start over with MyBoomSTick account for the next 2 months, and then decide if £5 a month will be worth it.

The other benefit was nice weather here in Surrey (car said was 30 degrees out) so drove to Guildford to pick PSO up with the car top down. Beautiful day out.

ic14
10-07-2003, 18:18
JUst got PSO at an outrageous price of £39.99. The only thing that outweighs this is the fact that I will use my SamFish3r account for the first 2 months, then start over with MyBoomSTick account for the next 2 months, and then decide if £5 a month will be worth it.

The other benefit was nice weather here in Surrey (car said was 30 degrees out) so drove to Guildford to pick PSO up with the car top down. Beautiful day out.
I see you on it some time?

NEONKNIGHT
10-07-2003, 18:19
TWO Xbox's and Gamer Tags - :smokin:

Boom
10-07-2003, 18:20
Yup. I'm playing NHL2K3 at 7 or 7:30 tonight against McTim, but then my attention will be turned to it or BF. If I play PSO, is it better to play offline at first?

ic14
10-07-2003, 18:23
Yup. I'm playing NHL2K3 at 7 or 7:30 tonight against McTim, but then my attention will be turned to it or BF. If I play PSO, is it better to play offline at first?
Get your char up to level 10 first befor you go online. Thats what i did. But if you can go online at the weekend me and liguid may be able to help you using our lower level chars

NEONKNIGHT
10-07-2003, 18:24

I'd say Yes. For the fact that playing off-line opens up levels when you play online.

ic14
10-07-2003, 18:32
I'd say Yes. For the fact that playing off-line opens up levels when you play online.
Have i played with you yet?

Liquid Len
10-07-2003, 19:23

This is true, but if someone makes the game up with all the lvl's already done then he can play any lvl. And it is quicker to lvl up online than it is offline. Also if you play with someone online and you die they can bring you back to life and you don't have to make your way back to where you died

NEONKNIGHT
10-07-2003, 23:45
Originally posted by: ic14
Have i played with you yet?

Not as yet:shrug: Let me know when your on PSO next M8.

Originally posted by: Liquid Len
This is true, but if someone makes the game up with all the lvl's already done then he can play any lvl. And it is quicker to lvl up online than it is offline. Also if you play with someone online and you die they can bring you back to life and you don't have to make your way back to where you died

Yep, thanks to Liquid Len, for the help so far.;) By the way Len, what Level are you on now? Also Fluds, which Level are you currently on?

Boom
11-07-2003, 09:13
Cheers for the info guys. I'll have a go at it tonight offline and see if I can get up to Level10. I will be using my SamFish3r tag first.

Couldn't get around to it last night cause of NHL2K3 and then some BF.

ic14
11-07-2003, 10:39

Im on sunday morning and maybe tonight as well

Liquid Len
11-07-2003, 11:37

Yep, thanks to Liquid Len, for the help so far.;) By the way Len, what Level are you on now? Also Fluds, which Level are you currently on?

I have 3 chars a Force lvl 120 a Ranger lvl 46 and a hunter lvl 15 :ninja:

So i just change my char when i play someone with a low lvl char

NEONKNIGHT
11-07-2003, 12:45
Im on sunday morning and maybe tonight as well

I'll try and get on then M8. ;)

NEONKNIGHT
11-07-2003, 18:06
Anyone going on LiVE now for PSO ?:confused: (6.08pm)

ic14
11-07-2003, 18:18
Anyone going on LiVE now for PSO ?:confused: (6.08pm)
Right now? Ill see....

NEONKNIGHT
11-07-2003, 18:32
Originall posted by ic14:-
Right now? Ill see....

I can make it tonight but only up to 9pm - so anytime between now and then M8 would be good for me.;)

ic14
11-07-2003, 18:32
Ok what server ? Im normally on jasper block 2

NEONKNIGHT
11-07-2003, 18:33
Ok - Jasper block2 then. See you in a minute.

ic14
11-07-2003, 18:35
Yep bout 18:45

NEONKNIGHT
11-07-2003, 18:44
Anybody else like to join me and ic14 - we will be on at 6.45pm on ship: Jasper - Block 2;)

ic14
11-07-2003, 20:02
Anybody else like to join me and ic14 - we will be on at 6.45pm on ship: Jasper - Block 2;)
Good game!
Shame i died just as we killed the boss!:(

NEONKNIGHT
11-07-2003, 20:05
Good game M8!!!:) It was tough you died at the end boss, there's always next time though!;)

Cheers M8:)

ic14
11-07-2003, 20:16
Good game M8!!!:) It was tough you died at the end boss, there's always next time though!;)

Cheers M8:)
I vote we make Jasper Block 2 the unoffical NTHW block!

NEONKNIGHT
11-07-2003, 20:31
Originally posted by ic14:-
I vote we make Jasper Block 2 the unoffical NTHW block!

Yes, I Second that vote.

:)

ic14
11-07-2003, 20:34
Yes, I Second that vote.

:)
Ill PM andre to make a sticky thread bout it!

Emperordalek
13-07-2003, 12:25
If I get hold of a 2nd hand copy will I still get the 60 days free? Is it keyed to your gamertag rather than the game package?

ic14
13-07-2003, 12:28
Originally posted by Emperordalek
If I get hold of a 2nd hand copy will I still get the 60 days free? Is it keyed to your gamertag rather than the game package?
Yeah youll still get the free 2 months,
Just as you guessed its tied to your gamertag not the game

Tezcatlipoca
14-07-2003, 23:19
Got PSOX today & shall be playing it tomorrow. I think I'll start with offline 1st.

"Lifestyle Of The Rich & Famous";)

LOL, I wish. My g/f's parents live on Jersey, & we went over for a long weekend. Cheap BA flight & no need for a hotel.

Enjoy your trip!:)

V nice weekend. :) Bloody boiling too.

Boom
15-07-2003, 08:09
Jersey is a nice place. Guernsey isn't and that's where I go about once a month and end up getting fogged in for 3 days.

Caspar
28-08-2003, 18:18
For you PSO'ers out there...

PSO Xbox Live Content Update (http://teamxbox.com/news.php?id=4771) :D

NEONKNIGHT
28-08-2003, 18:26
Originally posted by Caspar
For you PSO'ers out there...

PSO Xbox Live Content Update (http://teamxbox.com/news.php?id=4771) :D

Very nice! Thanx for the 'heads-up' Caspar.:)

ic14
28-08-2003, 18:27
Although its not strictly content updates is it?

NEONKNIGHT
28-08-2003, 18:32
Originally posted by ic14

Anything that we get 'extra' for our subs is welcome in my book. Reading in the magazines there's going to be tons of DLC for PSO - Sega want you to keep up that subscription.;)

Caspar
28-08-2003, 18:33
Originally posted by ic14

don't tease the PSO'ers...go on!

..I'm not one of 'them' so I ain't got a clue!!!

ic14
28-08-2003, 18:35
Well there on the servers so there not like other Content for games

NEONKNIGHT
28-08-2003, 18:38
Originally posted by Caspar
don't tease the PSO'ers...go on!

..I'm not one of 'them' so I ain't got a clue!!!

I'm one of them - who else on the forum has PSO - come on! own up! Let's see those beards! :D

ic14
28-08-2003, 18:40
*Unravels Beard*
Heres mine!!

Bowser
28-08-2003, 20:48
I'm one of them - who else on the forum has PSO - come on! own up! Let's see those beards! :D
:angel:

One in ten
29-08-2003, 09:52
I have pso too. I love the game, and am a total addict! The new quests are fun, worth trying if you haven't yet. I enjoy the Ice sword one the most.