PDA

View Full Version : Laser Eye Treatment Recommended ?

Mike
13-10-2004, 17:31
Hi all

I am thinking of having this done to correct my version and just wondered if anyone out there has had it done and what was the experience like !

Would welcome any 'views' :)

Thanks

Mike

Ramrod
13-10-2004, 17:55
Have a look here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18088&page=3&pp=15&highlight=lasek).
Read on from post #40........

Tricky
13-10-2004, 18:48
I think a lot of it depends on your age - My mate was going to have it he's 33 and they said "No Point", you'll get 10 years benefit and then your eyes will be worse than they are now...

Paul
13-10-2004, 18:55
Didn't someone on the forum have some eye laser treatment a few months ago (Xaccers ?)

Ramrod
13-10-2004, 19:37
Didn't someone on the forum have some eye laser treatment a few months ago (Xaccers ?)
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=6300&highlight=lasek

Nidge
13-10-2004, 20:51
Hi all

I am thinking of having this done to correct my version and just wondered if anyone out there has had it done and what was the experience like !

Thanks

Mike

Be very careful with Laser treatment, I was going to have it done last year but backed out after I told my doctor, he said you'll be better off with glasses.

paulyoung666
13-10-2004, 21:00
Hi all

Thanks

Mike

which version are you trying to correct dos , 3.1 , 95 , 98 , me or xp , sorry i couldnt resist :rofl: , seriously , have a look at the thread mentioned before this post and make your mind up , tbh, i have thought about it and shied away , is there a specific reason you are thinking of having it done for :)

dilli-theclaw
13-10-2004, 21:19
Be very careful with Laser treatment, I was going to have it done last year but backed out after I told my doctor, he said you'll be better off with glasses.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - no-one and I mean NO-ONE is going near my eyes with a laser beam....

It's not like you can pop down to Tesco's and buy a new pair afterwards if there has been a problem.... (well not yet - knowing Tesco's it's in the works)

paulyoung666
13-10-2004, 21:21
I've said it before and I'll say it again - no-one and I mean NO-ONE is going near my eyes with a laser beam....

It's not like you can pop down to Tesco's and buy a new pair afterwards if there has been a problem.... (well not yet - knowing Tesco's it's in the works)

wise words i reckon :tu:

homealone
13-10-2004, 21:58
I've worn glasses for over 40 years - it's only recently I found I couldn't easily switch focus between a computer monitor & a document on my desk, so I have switched to variofocals.

- presumably the same would be true, for me, if I'd had modern laser treatment, say, 20 years ago??

So I don't think it should be viewed as 'never need glasses or lenses again' thing??

SMHarman
13-10-2004, 22:05
It's the definition of 20/20 (or 6/6 in the metric system) that highlights it to me. You can be corrected to 20/20 on the chart, but have ruined vision, double vision, shadow vision, GASH (Glare, Arcs, Starbursts, Halos), poor night vision (measured to be reduced by about 25%). You might end up with perfect day vision but an inability to go to the cinema or drive at night for example.

At the moment do you (OP) wear daily disposable contacts. I would investigate this route first. At about £30 a month, you have about a 4 year supply for the cost of the cheapest surgery.

Marge
13-10-2004, 22:07
Well, as soon as I get the money I'm gonna have it done. I know a few people that have had the surgery and they say it's the best thing they've ever done !!!

homealone
13-10-2004, 22:43
Well, as soon as I get the money I'm gonna have it done. I know a few people that have had the surgery and they say it's the best thing they've ever done !!!

noooo - you'll see what I really look like ;)

- and yes, a colleague of mine shares the 'view' expressed by yours :)

Matth
14-10-2004, 00:29
http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/standard.htm - You could get a lot of changes of glasses for the price of getting lasered - and if they get your glasses wrong, at least you can start again.

Actually, not sure I'd be happy with the basics - my current lenses are photochromic plastic with anti-scratch - at my prescription, glass gets a bit heavy.

I really could not see myself getting on with contact lenses, or facing the risk and discomfort of lasering.

Some people say that the best case for surgical correction, is where you do not really have useable vision at all without glasses ... actually I can only just about see an object that might be my glasses, at the other side of the room.

SMHarman
14-10-2004, 00:57
I really could not see myself getting on with contact lenses, or facing the risk and discomfort of lasering.
I thought the same, but the latest soft disposables are fantastic, they work really well for me as with hay fever and an astimatism that standard toric contacts don't seem to fix properly (they don't sit on axis), I get adequate perfect correction in my stronger left eye and adequate correction in my right eye.

This is not enough to really wear them for everyday use, computer work and the like, but fantastic for weekends, taking my 2 year old swimming, running at the gym, going out on an evening, I could pass my driving test sight test in them too.

So M-F on go the glasses, the weekends, I will probably have disposables in for at least some time each day. As the box keeps forever, the 30 pairs will last me about 4-5 months, so the contact lens cost is (for me) about £90 a year. As they are disposable, worrying about losing one in a pool or getting chlorine in the lens is not an issue.

I thought about contacts about a decade ago, but was put off by the fact that my astigmatism needed hard lenses, technology has moved on a great deal in that time so I have what is effectivly an ideal solution, contacts some of the time that go in the bin when finished with, no solutions, paying £xx a month for lenses I wear 5 times etc and the benefits of them when I want.

-----------

Lasik, I'd love the results, but the risks are too great IMHO, dry eye, especially if you do a lot of VDU work (reduced the blink rate), GASH, Sands of Sahara, infection, detached flap, rework as it is not a perfect procedure all put me off. Lasek has less risk, but the layer lasered may well have beneficial properties (bit like the debates over tonsils and appendixes).

Remember too when they quote risk per procedure, half the number, each eye is a procedure, so if they say 1/100 procedures needs a retouch, they mean 1/50 patients. etc.

To be free from glasses and have perfect vision, a lovely concept, to be blind or lose the perfect vision (when corrected) I currently have, I don't want to risk that.

Alanmelon our contributor / optician is someone you might want to PM, a very nice chap and likely to give you a balanced view, though not the answer you might want to hear.