PDA

View Full Version : reconfiguring my work PC to access NTL BB at home

Chris
12-10-2004, 11:44
At the weekend I had to make some urgent changes to our corporate website. The CMS requires IE on a PC, so I unplugged my Mac from its NTL Broadband connection, attached the ethernet cable to my work lappy (Win2k, IE 5.5sp2) and switched on .... no internet. :(

I looked at the Knowldedgebase for how to get a PC onto NTL without the Broadjump CD and tried ipconfig /release, but it wouldn't release because, it said, 'autoconfigure' was enabled.

I asked our helpdesk about it today and they said the way the laptop is configured to pick up an IP on our own LAN means that it should have just worked when I plugged it in. Then when I told him it was NTL cable, he said that the MAC address of the laptop's NIC might have been the problem, as NTL would have no record of it.

Does this ring true with anyone? And if so, what do I need to do to get my laptop recognised by NTL so I can use it at home when needed?

TIA :)

philquinney
12-10-2004, 11:49
Hi Chris,

Do you access BBand through a STB or Cable Modem? If it is a cable modem you should be able to unplug your mac, turn off the modem, wait five minutes and then plug your pc into the modem. When you turn the modem on again it will give you a new IP. No configuration is needed whenever I do it on my modem.

However, STB's are different. I think you do the same turn off, disconnect and wait five minutes thing. However, when you turn the PC and STB back on you need to go to an url like http://start.ntl and go through the Provisioning Screens.

Hope this helps,

Phil.

Chris
12-10-2004, 12:09
Hi Phil, thanks, that sounds like good advice. It is a SACM, but switching it off is the one thing I didn't try! I'll take my laptop home with me tonight and give it a whirl.

Paul
12-10-2004, 13:00
Just re-booting the SACM used to work for me.

badnbusy
12-10-2004, 17:38
Yep. Once the ntl modem is connected to a new MAC address (eg, different network card) the modem needs to be rebooted. Thats all :)