PDA

View Full Version : Cost to get out of contract early.

Sarky
12-10-2004, 11:07
Hi,

I'm 3 months in to my NTL 12 month contract thingy. How much is it gonna cost to get out early?

The T&C are not very clear. They just say "charges to the end of the minimum period that would've been payble". How do they determine what would've been payable, I presume with the minimum possible monthly subscription?

John.

punky
12-10-2004, 11:16
I had this, because I thought I needed to break out the contract early.

Basically, you demote everything to the bare minimum which is about £12 a month IIRC, and then multiply that the remaining unpaid months. I think the woman at NTL said they can cap the pay off, but it is done at their discretion

Sarky
12-10-2004, 11:32
Thanks, Punky.

John.

ian@huth
12-10-2004, 12:28
It all depends on what services you have and why you want to get out of the contract. Post the details and someone may be able to get you out cheaply or offer a solution that makes you think about staying with NTL.

paulyoung666
12-10-2004, 12:33
i believe if you are moving to a non ntl cabled area then you can get out for free :)

Sarky
12-10-2004, 13:03
I'm being forced to relocate due to work. The place I'm moving to already has a Sky dish (and I still have my Sky box) and is ADSL enabled, that being the case I prefer to go back to Sky and ADSL than continue with NTL. The new area is covered by NTL. I currently have the 1 Mbit Internet (they didn't bother to show up for their appointment to replace the box), and the full TV package. I also have a phone socket that's never used.

You can probably tell from the tone of my message why I don't want to be with NTL. :)

John.

Sarky
12-10-2004, 13:16
Just to add the place I'm moving to does not have NTL installed, so I would probably have to pay an installation fee anyway.

John.

scrotnig
12-10-2004, 13:53
Just to add the place I'm moving to does not have NTL installed, so I would probably have to pay an installation fee anyway.

John.
No, moves and transfers are done free in most regions.

Contract charges work out like this:

If you have TV, multiply the minimum pack (£19.50 ) by the number of months remaining on the contract, remembering that you are billed a month in advance so may have already accounted for part of the coming month

For telephone, if you have TV, no separate penalty would apply. If you do NOT have TV, as above but at £9.50 per month.

For broadband, the figure is £17.99 per month. In other words, it's always the minumum level of service for that particular product that is used in the calculations. Also, 30 days notice would still be taken so obviously that period would need to be removed from the penalty.

So, a customer on Family pack with 750k broadband cancelling after being billed only one month, (and giving 30 days notice, hence two months in total billed) would pay:

TV: 10 months at £19.50 = £195
Broadband: 10 months at £17.99 = £179.90
Telephone: Nothing, as covered by TV.

Total payable: £374.90 .

This is then due and payable immediately. Some regions are requesting payment up front by credit/debit card before the disconnection will be processed.

The only exception to the contract charges would be if a customer is moving to an area not cabled by ntl. If the new property IS cabled but already has Sky and/or BT, then the penalty charge would still apply.

Sarky
12-10-2004, 14:22
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Of course, that is completely out of the question.

John.

Sarky
12-10-2004, 14:24
Hmm, my parents live in a non-NTL area. I guess I could move in with them for a nominal period.

Thanks for the tip.

John.

SMHarman
12-10-2004, 14:25
OFCOM say there can be no penalties for canceling a telco only contract at any time, despite what NTL say, so if you were telco only they could not charge £9.50 for 9 months, just one. That does not apply to DTV and BB though.

If they screw up on the move then you may be able to terminate for non provision of services.

Does you firm not cover these costs of relocation?

Hmm, my parents live in a non-NTL area. I guess I could move in with them for a nominal period.

Thanks for the tip.

John.
Nice idea...

Bifta
12-10-2004, 14:26

Thanks for the tip.

John.

Just tell NTL that the owner of the house does not want any holes drilling in to the house and would prefer to not have NTL services installed, it worked for me (twice, they weren't to know the owner of the house was actually ... me) ;)

Sarky
12-10-2004, 14:30
OFCOM say there can be no penalties for canceling a telco only contract at any time, despite what NTL say.

Cool, so they couldn't charge the phone part even if they wanted to?

Does you firm not cover these costs of relocation?

They're covering the cost of getting out of my tenancy agreement, I'm not going to ask them to pay hundreds of pounds just for the TV. They'd laugh at me.

John.

Sarky
12-10-2004, 14:31
Just tell NTL that the owner of the house does not want any holes drilling in to the house and would prefer to not have NTL services installed, it worked for me (twice, they weren't to know the owner of the house was actually ... me) ;)

Awesome. Thanks!

John.

daxx
12-10-2004, 15:15
ROFL they do now :D

Bifta
12-10-2004, 15:17

It's doubtful that Bifta was the name I was christened with.

paulyoung666
12-10-2004, 16:47

no , you should have realised by now that ntl dont look at this site , it would provide them too many good solutions to customer problems ;)