PDA

View Full Version : Sold or "stolen"?

Russ
12-10-2004, 08:48
My mate has bought a second-hand phone like mine (Samsung E700) from someone selling it in FreeAds but keeps getting paranoid that the person who sold it is just going to report it lost/stolen and claim a new one from insurance. It's obviously a very recent phone and the guy apparently said he's only had the contract a few months, so why would he be selling it?

We know that when a claim is made, the network locks the phone up but apart from the obvious, how will he know? Will there be a message on the phone's screen?

Secondly, what course of action could he take against the 'seller'?

gary_580
12-10-2004, 08:53
Did he get a receipt for the transaction? If so then you can report it to the Police as a case of fraud against the insurance company.

Was it just an upgrade that the seller didnt want? I bought a couple of Nokia 7210's as in needed a triband phone and these were bought from people who had been given free upgrades and the phones were hardly used.

Russ
12-10-2004, 08:53
He's actually sitting next to me at work and no, he didn't get a reciept.

gary_580
12-10-2004, 09:01
Doesnt really have any proof that he didnt steal it then

Tricky
12-10-2004, 09:02
I sold a Nokia 7230 on EBay and kept a note of the IEMI number in case of any transaction problems, I theory I could report this stolen and the phone would be barred. I guess without a receipt they are snooker and its just a trust thing, because even if your mate did buy it in good faith it could have been the person that stole it selling it...

Another method is to change the IEMI number of the phone but this is VERY ILLEGAL...But this way they could not ban the phone from working.

Russ
12-10-2004, 09:08
This is getting a little too "off-topic" for him (although I appreciate it!), he just wants to know how he'll know if the phone is blocked and what action he could take against the bloke who sold it to him. There wasn't any reciept or recording of IEMI (as far as he knows) and needs to know his options.

Bifta
12-10-2004, 09:15
No proof of the transaction, no recourse when something goes wrong, simple as that.

Russ
12-10-2004, 09:18
But if he went to the police to say what happened, would that not go some way to a prosecution? The phone's IMEI should indicate it used to belong to the seller and my mate could identify him?

Bifta
12-10-2004, 09:21
But if he went to the police to say what happened, would that not go some way to a prosecution? The phone's IMEI should indicate it used to belong to the seller and my mate could identify him?

"I never sold it to him!"

Russ
12-10-2004, 09:24
That's true I suppose....

Then again he could just be happy that he had a great deal on a phone :)

Aragorn
I doubt the police would be interested, although the insurance people would be more interested. If the original owner wants to report it stolen he would have to invoke some insurance. At that point your mate could 'probably' inform the insurers, via the phone company, that he paid for it. His word against sellers though.

Trouble is, a cash deal with no receipts is based on trust - he may have got a bargain but he'll probably have to sweat it out.

He'll soon know if it is reported stolen - the phone co will block the phone immediately.

HTH

gary_580

Nope, its one persons word against another. There is no evidence. Used to belong to is fine but the other guy can say it was stolen.

Picture this, guy is in a pub drinking phone is on the bar, he goes for a leak and you steal his phone and leg it. The phone can be traced back to the original owner and the thief can identify the original owner as they have seen him.

Sorry but if you buy used goods and dont get proof of the transaction you then you have no recourse.

You'll know when its blocked, you wont be able to get a network.

The chances are if the guy is that dodgy

1. He wont report anything, why would he want to attract the police etc.

2. He probably wouldnt have any sort of insurance.

Russ
12-10-2004, 09:27
How about if he can trace the original advert where he says the guy is selling it? He's getting more than a little paranoid now, and I have to sit next to him for the rest of the day :p:

Aragorn
12-10-2004, 10:29
"Yes officer, I wanted to sell the phone but the toe rag ran off with it before giving me the money" or "It was stolen before I could sell it"

As Gary says, hopefully he won't want to report it.

As they say, caveat emptor.

goldoni
12-10-2004, 11:26
You donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t say what airtime provider it is linked with; I would doubt it would be a sim free phone due to the cost. So phone the provider and ask them to check the IEMI number and see if itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s been reported stolen/blocked, also dig out the freeads paper that will have the contact details of the seller.

When my daughter lost my E700 phone for the second time and I had to claim on the phone insurance. Orange advised me that the phone was now locked and would not be able to be used on any UK network.

The worst that could happen is your friend has purchased a locked E700. The other option is to buy/ borrow a sim card and see if it works. If the phone is locked it will come up with a message asking you to contact the airtime provider for the unlock code so Orange informed me.

Have a nice day

swoop101
12-10-2004, 11:39
If you need a phone unlocking, I have a freeware program that can get the codes.
PM me if you want it, or if the mods/admin will allow I can attach it.(231k zip file) or I could put it my webspace.

Russ
12-10-2004, 11:43
Unlocking a service provider-locked phone is illegal.

If you mean unlocking to all networks.....been there done that :D

He unlocked it as soon as he bought it!

swoop101
12-10-2004, 11:48
If you mean unlocking to all networks

That is what I mean :D

would not dare mention anything naughty on here sir :p: :rolleyes: