PDA

View Full Version : NTL modem doesn't work on Windows, but does on Linux!!!

CableForumUser
10-10-2004, 16:16
My modem works perfectly on Mandrake Linux 10, I can access internet fine and im using it now. But on Windows Im having huge problems. It just doesnt work at all. On Internet Explorer it just immediately says "Cannot find server". It must be a problem with the drivers. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the modem drivers, no luck whatsoever. I tried using "Regcleaner to clean out the drivers after uninstalling didn't work. I have to get it working and NTL support is pretty **** in fact total ****. Anyone have any help? I know reinstalling Windows 98SE will work ive done it before with same situation, but Im not doing it again. By the way the modem is NTL home 200.

Graham M
10-10-2004, 16:18
Are you using Windows 98SE?

if so go start->run

type command (cmd if you are in 2000/xp)

type ipconfig and tell us if you get an IP Address?

CableForumUser
10-10-2004, 16:31
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :

This is what I got.

hairy_mick
10-10-2004, 16:45
go into device manager check hardware device if usb modem yellow disk then reinstall drives

CableForumUser
10-10-2004, 16:54
What you mean by reinstall drives? If you mean reinstall drivers then I've already done that several times.

Tezcatlipoca
10-10-2004, 17:10
How do you connect to the modem? USB or ethernet?

CableForumUser
10-10-2004, 17:14
Usb

Tezcatlipoca
10-10-2004, 17:22
Have you tried rebooting the modem before switching to Windows?

By the way, you'd have a better & more stable connection if you used ethernet instead of USB.

CableForumUser
10-10-2004, 17:26
Of course I've tried that. By the way I've had this problem for a whole week. No I won't switch to Ethernet maybe later first I want to fix this. I don't have a card anyway. I need the internet working on Windows.

Chris W
10-10-2004, 17:41
open a dos prompt and type ipconfig /renew_all - then check the ip address.

Also what chipset are you using? is it a via 3038 or SIS?

Check in winipcfg- what exact name is it giving to the cable modem?

CableForumUser
10-10-2004, 17:44
It's kind of annoying switching between them constantly. Could you tell me some results of doing these things and what to do? If you can't that's OK.

CableForumUser
10-10-2004, 18:19
Anyway I did the stuff. I dont know what a chipset is or what i have.

I did ipconfig renew all and the same results came.

I checked winipcfg and copied the results too. I dont know if they are private stuff so i wont post them, but there is nothing about the name of the modem just stuff about ppp adapter.

Chris W
10-10-2004, 18:36
If USB CM 351000 is not appearing in winipcfg that means either that the driver for the modem is not installed correctly, or that the modem is not bound to tcp/ip.

First check device manager: you should have USB CM 351000 appearing under the network adaptors, and when you double click on it, the properties box should say "this device is working properly".

If it does: go to control panel -> network -> and then check that you have an item "tcp/ip-> USB CM 351000". If this is not appearing, post back.

If the USB CM 351000 is not appearing correctly in device manager, remove any usb composite devices or unknown devices, and any reference to cable modem.

Then disconnect the usb cable modem and browse on your ntl installer cd to x:/drivers/ambit and double click the "uninstall" file. click next and finish, then say no to the reboot.
Next open windows explorer, then go to view -> folder options -> view, and make sure that windows is set to show all hidden and system files.

Then search the hard disk for usbcm and delete any files found. Then reboot.

When windows is booted, make sure you have the installer cd in, the reconnect the usb cable. When the found new hardware wizard appears, chose to search automatically, check cd drive, and specify a location, and type the location of x:/drivers/ambit/ (where x is your cd drive). You may well be prompted to reboot after the driver is installed. Do so then you should be online.

Post back if you have more problems...

oh and just out of interest, are you using a NIC on linux?

carlingman
10-10-2004, 23:25
snip - just stuff about ppp adapter.

And there lies the problem Windows is not detecting you have a cable modem attached.

Follow MBs post above.

:D

CableForumUser
11-10-2004, 17:09
If USB CM 351000 is not appearing in winipcfg that means either that the driver for the modem is not installed correctly, or that the modem is not bound to tcp/ip.

First check device manager: you should have USB CM 351000 appearing under the network adaptors, and when you double click on it, the properties box should say "this device is working properly".

If it does: go to control panel -> network -> and then check that you have an item "tcp/ip-> USB CM 351000". If this is not appearing, post back.

If the USB CM 351000 is not appearing correctly in device manager, remove any usb composite devices or unknown devices, and any reference to cable modem.

Then disconnect the usb cable modem and browse on your ntl installer cd to x:/drivers/ambit and double click the "uninstall" file. click next and finish, then say no to the reboot.
Next open windows explorer, then go to view -> folder options -> view, and make sure that windows is set to show all hidden and system files.

Then search the hard disk for usbcm and delete any files found. Then reboot.

When windows is booted, make sure you have the installer cd in, the reconnect the usb cable. When the found new hardware wizard appears, chose to search automatically, check cd drive, and specify a location, and type the location of x:/drivers/ambit/ (where x is your cd drive). You may well be prompted to reboot after the driver is installed. Do so then you should be online.

Post back if you have more problems...

oh and just out of interest, are you using a NIC on linux?
I have problems. All the stuff in device manager etc. showed up and is working properly. After I uninstalled the modem, i searched for usbcm, yes with "show all files" clicked, no files showed up. I reinstalled yet again and it didnt work.

I have no NIC card.

Graham M
11-10-2004, 17:19
Get a cheap one from a local PC shop/Brownbox in PC World.

Chris W
11-10-2004, 17:29
I have problems. All the stuff in device manager etc. showed up and is working properly. After I uninstalled the modem, i searched for usbcm, yes with "show all files" clicked, no files showed up. I reinstalled yet again and it didnt work.

I have no NIC card.

Please share the usb cable modem drivers that you have for linux, because as far as i am aware there are none.

Have you checked that the usb cable modem is bound to tcp/ip in the network stack? is it?

CableForumUser
12-10-2004, 19:14
hello?

CableForumUser
12-10-2004, 19:15
i mean what are you talking about network stack tcp/ip whatever.

the drivers came automatically when i started mandrake. i didnt have to install any drivers.

Graham M
12-10-2004, 19:21
:confused:

CableForumUser
12-10-2004, 19:39
zeph you are questioning me or him?

Graham M
12-10-2004, 19:45
Both. As far as I know, an NTL Cmodem shouldnt work in Linux via USB as there are no drivers around for it as far as I know.

Chris W
12-10-2004, 19:48
Both. As far as I know, an NTL Cmodem shouldnt work in Linux via USB as there are no drivers around for it as far as I know.

Yep i agree with you.... i have never been able to find drivers for usb cable modem on linux and nor has anyone i know...

anyway

the network stack:

go to start -> settings -> control panel -> network

there will be a list of items in the middle, eg
client for microsoft networks
dial up adaptor
usb cable modem
tcp/ip -> usb cable modem

Please post back with everything that is in the list.

Stop It
12-10-2004, 21:04
Both. As far as I know, an NTL Cmodem shouldnt work in Linux via USB as there are no drivers around for it as far as I know. I dont wish to burst your bubble, but, I just tried my good old knoppix 3.3 cd , using an ambit ntl home 120 via usb, and it worked instantly, maybe it detects it as the ambit 351000 and someone made drivers for it, either way, the ambit ntl modems DO work on linux, oh, if you need them , drivers for the CM (98 friendly) can be found http://homepage.ntlworld.com/triage/drivers/

Graham M
12-10-2004, 22:02
Ok mister, we were just saying that we hadnt come accross them or anyone else who had. Until now.